Christopher Young's THE PIPER (2023) - NEW! 2024 Intrada Premiere release

Jay

The tracklist for the Intrada album hasn't been revealed, right? I wonder if they'll use the same from the promo album that IFMCA had access:

1. Suite from The Piper (21:02)
  2. The Piper – Concerto for Flute and Orchestra, Movement 1 (11:16)
  3. The Piper – Concerto for Flute and Orchestra, Movement 2 (7:35)
  4. The Piper – Concerto for Flute and Orchestra, Movement 3 (11:22)

Ah, another one of those concert work style structured Young albums? He did it for Bless the Child (using the Requiem mass structure), so I imagine he'd like this album to stick to his format, too. It worked well for Bless the Child in any case.

According to Jon Broxton:

The most interesting thing about all this is that, essentially, Young scored it twice. Firstly, before shooting even began, Young wrote a 30-minute three-movement Concerto for Flute and Orchestra, to represent the piece of ‘cursed’ classical music that appears in the film, and which summons the ‘piper’ demon when the young composer Mel performs it. Then, during the actual scoring process, Young took elements from the concerto and used them as the basis of the score itself. The resulting score is just brilliant, approaching masterpiece levels of excellence.

So if the Intrada album follows through, we'll get the 30 minute concert in tracks 2-4 and a suite made out of cues from the actual score on track 1.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2024 at 1:15 PM, ddddeeee said:

Interesting that this kind of film music hasn't evolved that much since Goldsmith's The Omen.

Still Orff seems to be the template. 

But it sounds really good.

Between this and Nosferatu, based on samples the latter probably struck me a bit more, but it's nice that this will be on streaming so we can evaluate it properly.

Chris Young is a god amongst men. I can't wait to hear The Piper and Nosferatu in full, having pledged £70 on Nosferatu. 

The Piper seems wild - but that is good. Very recent: 

14 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Available where it's Tuesday.

Tracklist is the 3 movement concerto and a 21 minute score suite

https://www.qobuz.com/nz-en/album/the-piper-original-score-the-bulgarian-symphony-orchestra-sif-309/jwedpb1muzbnb

4 tracks?

Wow! I dislike long tracks...:(

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

This was the tracklist of the promo release.

I also would've preffered if the score suite was smaller cues, but I mostly want this for the concerto anyway.

That IS the takeaway here. The film score suite is okay, but nothing on that level.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

In fact, I am looking forward to getting a suite instead of a number of one and a half minute snippets.

Lol that's still what your getting, it's just packaged differently to fool you into thinking you are getting something different

;)

13 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

In fact, I am looking forward to getting a suite instead of a number of one and a half minute snippets.

Indeed!

Has anyone else noticed the track times don't add up? The concerto + suite combined is 51:22, yet the CD runtime is listed as 51:11.

Also, there's a typo on the back cover. Millennium Media is spelled wrong in the copyright text.

image.png

But it's correct in the film credits:

image.png

Got my shipping notice about 3 hours ago!