"The most boring score of Williams' career"-thread

Sandor

For me, personally, Always.

Never found it very inspiring. Just, well, boring. Doesn't mean I think the score is bad. Just boring. I can listen to the whole soundtrack and still not hear anything.

What do you consider the most boring score of Williams' career?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Patriot.

Always, while certainly no masterpiece at least had 3 very good tracks Among the Clouds, Follow Me and Dorinda Solo Flight.

The rest is a good cure for insomnia though.

The only music I like from The Patriot is the rendition of that love theme that opens the CD, the rest is just music rehashed from other Williams scores (and part of the main theme is a Air Force One rip-off)

Always has what I consider Williams' best non-leitmotific theme - in Among the Clouds, 2:33-2:43. It's beautiful, although it wouldn't hold up to be a leit-motif - but it makes me stop what I'm doing and just listen for those ten seconds when it shows up.

-Ross, who thinks Nixon is the most boring Williams score.

The Patriot.The only music I like from The Patriot is the rendition of that love theme that opens the CD, the rest is just music rehashed from other Williams scores (and part of the main theme is a Air Force One rip-off)

The Patriot at least has a theme. War of The Worlds is themeless through and through. (Don't give me any crap about "You can hear the oboe in track 5 play the alien theme") War of The Worlds is John Williams rehashing his rehashes. Zzzzzzzz...

In it's favor there is one cue that breaks the mold and presents something original and enjoyable. I quite like 'The Intersection Scene'. Other than that it makes AOTC and The Patriot look like masterpieces.

Justin

Star Wars Ep. IV.

~Conor

John Williams has never written a score for a film entitled "Star Wars Episode IV".....

THOUGHT I'D GET IN THERE FIRST, NEIL!!!!!

LOL

Far and Away is the score of his I find most boring.....

Greg 8O)

I can't say I've heard as many Williams scores as some of you, but until now, I have to say that (although it sounds cliched) Attack Of The Clones sounds as boring as ever to me.

I can understand people poiting out Sleepers, Nixon, JFK or even War of the World.s But Seven Years in Tibet, Angela's Ashes, Stepmom, Far and Away and ANH? Those are as listenable as they get.

And what is with all the hate with the Stepmom score.

Romão, whose girlfriend's all time favorite score is Stepmom. Ahe really mande me love this score. It's almost ironic.

Stepmom is so beautiful and LISTENABLE. I agree with you, Romão (hey, I finally found this ~ character in my keyboard 8O).

I can't remember any boring score of John Williams prior to Jaws. I enjoy all of them 8O

scissorhands, who feels lucky

Rumaum. That's as close as I can write it phonetically.

I was talking about the Japan Concert. The one I have is from 1993 with the Boston Pops. The sound is great. No Exultate Justi though 8O

Far and Away is the score of his I find most boring.

8O

I say . . . Stepmom, with no real basis, but it sounds like it might not be so listenable. I really have no idea what it sounds like.

~Sturgis

"Stanley and Iris" is pretty dull.

But I must defend "Stepmom", despite its stupid title. Strangely for an all-American film the music is rather French harmonically - like Ravel. And "The Days Between" has an oboe melody that must rank as one of JW's best.

The Patriot.

Always, while certainly no masterpiece at least had 3 very good tracks  Among the Clouds, Follow Me and Dorinda Solo Flight.

The rest is a good cure for insomnia though.

The only music I like from The Patriot is the rendition of that love theme that opens the CD, the rest is just music rehashed from other Williams scores (and part of the main theme is a Air Force One rip-off)

i feel that the Patriot is really John Williams' Gladiator. its a great enjoyable essence of what the composer is. we have the ubiquitious catchy americana main theme, a heartfelt pastoral love theme, big brassy action sequences (which are like a cross between his classic pre JP style and his modern one), lush strings and a melancholy solo motif both reminiscent of Born on the Fourth of July. even if its not the most original of his works, whats not to like? ;)

Accidental Tourist. Good music, but usually too redundant for pure listening. Great in the movie, though.

However, I do put it on now and then and enjoy it.

Accidental Tourist.

Arguably the most mono-thematic score of Williams' career. Loved the music in the movie though. And I have the original pressed CD! That's make me happy no matter the quality of the music! ;)

I bought it for about 12 euro in 1994. Amsterdam, Fame records store. They had about 10 copies at least at that time. If only I had known... If only.

The Witches Of Eastwick, Jaws 2, The Temple Of Doom, even Tsunami boots like How To Steal A Million: they all had it then. Thankfully I started collecting late 1992 so I had more scores too choose from than I could afford!

Rosewood, Stepmom (But I Like Isabel's Horse And Buggy), Always (I Like Follow Me and I Love Saying Goodbye) and the hour and A half between the Opening and closing battles of Saving Private Ryan were pretty boring.

I'd be hard pressed to find a Williams score that I found completely uncaptivating. I'll go out on a shaky limb, and say that I don't find any of his scores what some would consider "boring". Even if a score is low key, or calm, like Saving Pirvate Ryan, there are always redeeming factors, or pieces/tracks that I find interesting. Of course, some are more interesting and engaging then others. I admittedly don't listen to Rosewood or Always all that much, but I still enjoy them. They're simply reserved for those certain occasions when I can get into them more. It's more dependant on mood then anything else.

Tim

Whe I lived in Salamanca, that's what people used to call me. That or Pocholo, but that's a very long story.

Pocholo??? :baaa:

This story needs to be told someday!

Indeed.

Did you find you backpack? :)

Somehow someone got the impression I looked like Pocholo, from Aventura en Africa. I really don't know how. And the nickname stuck. Now, everytime I go to Salamanca, people call me Pocholo. Hardly anyone knows my real name, They can't pronounce it, anyway.

I see nobody's mentioned Black Sunday...so I will. Bit of snoozefest.

Much like other scores done by Williams. Stick with Herrmann and you'll be ok. :sigh:

They're classic scores! Herrmann is most displeased at your current lack of interest in his music. Although I haven't heard his Pfft.& ZZZZZZ in a long, long time. :)

Towering Inferno. Apart from the MainTitle, Planting the Charges and Architect's Dream the music is boring elevator music (much of which is actually Hotel elevator/lobby music in the movie).