• Last visited

About SF1_freeze

• Rank
    Frequent Poster

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

11093 profile views
  1. JWFAN's Favourite Fantasy Epic

I'm judging the books/story only: Game of Thrones, because it was the best reading experience i ever had. The LotR books were like sleeping pills in comparison (and i still liked them very much).
  2. Johnny's Best Counterpoint Moments

What you posted is sadly not this unreleased piece. It's a rearrangement of parts of the Padmes Funeral piece but it employs a full choir and misses at least one Imperial march counterpoint appearance and lacks the subtelty of the film piece. It's more a continuation of the "standard" funeral theme arrangement coming from TPM and playing during the Birth of Darth Vader in ROTS. In the film for Padmes Funeral the funeral theme is sung only by a women choir supported with subtle instrumentation and then the counterpoint with the Force Theme and the Imperial March starts and it gets purely instrumental.
  3. Favorite Harry Potter score?

My favorite is PoA. Completely utterly fantastic score!!!
  4. Johnny's Best Counterpoint Moments

30-1:25 Padmes funeral immediately comes to mind. Best moment of the ROTS score and unreleased!
  5. Your favorite melody by John Williams

The Force Theme (See my signature )
  6. 24

24 has always been one of my favorite shows, also the later seasons 7 and 8. Of course you have to switch off the brain from times to times (like in virtually all action movies). For me, 24 always had a unique mix of thriller, action, drama and politics sprinkled with honest and true family dynamics mainly between Jack and his loved ones (His wife, daughter and girlfriends). Then you also have the equally unique realtime aspect. It's true that in later seasons there is a lot of repetition and seasoned 24 viewers couldn't be surprised that easily anymore. You just anticipate certain plot twists. Nevertheless, the enjoyment for me was and is still there, because the mix of all these elements is still just so damn good. Of course i don't overanalyze and accept certain weaknesses and stupid plot holes. Also honestly the music of 24 is a real highlight, at least in the first eight seasons. Sadly it's about 90% library and electronic and only 10% real instruments. Sean Callery really did a great job to create a number of themes and action riffs/motifs and be creative, even though he had limited budget and time. In terms of impact, his music elevates many scenes from good to great and also creates highly emotional moments in combination with Kiefer Sutherlands fantastic acting. Take for example his "family theme", which is used to great effect in many moments of Jack and his Daughter and/or Jack and his Wife. He dropped the ball a bit for season 9 with only one significant new theme for Heller in the stadium and a bit too much undescript action music. This sadly continues at least in the first two 24 legacy episodes. Proper action riffs/motifs are missing so far and also the new "main theme" is too generic for my taste.
  7. Ah okay, i thought i read that somewhere on a trek site years ago... Can you point out some cool appearances of the voyager theme in the episode scores? I only know the main title and end title arrangements.
  8. Is it true that Goldsmiths Voyager theme was only used in one actual episode score apart from the pilot?
  9. 100% agreed. For me War Horse and PoA are his best scores since 2000!
  10. For me number one must be Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. It's in my top 3 list of JWs best scores and absolutely deserves a complete expansion.
  11. Incredible news, Jurassic Park is an all time favorite and The Lost World a holy grail among the Williams scores without proper expansion!!! I will order it today or tomorrow, probably from LLL directly even if the shipping cost seems a bit expensive. But this is something i gladly pay to support LLL directly for this and all their other wonderful JW releases. Now fingers crossed for proper Potter expansions. What would i give for a complete PoA. Another holy grail removed from my wishlist of JW expanded scores Prisoner of Azkaban (Expanded) Starwars Prequels (Expanded) The Lost World (Expanded) War Horse (Expanded) The Patriot (Expanded) Far and Away (Expanded) Return of the Jedi (good sound quality / Expanded) Indiana Jones Quadrology (Expanded)
  12. GAME OF THRONES

The scene with Edmure and Jamie was probably the best Jamie scene since the season 3 bathtub moment. Tobias Menzies as Edmure was sorely missed since season 3 and he again delivered a great and nuanced performance as Edmure (now all the more hardened and grown up). Let's hope that Riverrun/Edmure still plays a role in the future seasons. The Blackfish sendoff was ok, it wasn't really necessary to see his end in battle... By the way how AMAZING were the Riverrun sets and CGI work. This is surely one of the best looking locations in the whole series. Even custom built siege equipment and the Lannister Frey camps. And many people keeps saying that the director of these episodes Mark Mylod is a sort of a hack because of the (admittedly horrible) Arya stabbing, recovery and chase scenes. Nevertheless apart from that he overall did a great job in my opinion, especially with all the Riverun stuff and everything concerning the hound in episode 7 and 8. These scenes were really really well done starting with this amazing montage with the reveal of the hound... Many of Mylods "bad" things are probably more script and story problems.
  13. GAME OF THRONES

I'm more lurking nowadays but still here and what can i say, season 7 sounds really promising. Season 6 was a great season in my opinion and really managed to close out or continue a lot of older story threads from previous seasons. Concerning older story threads i especially liked Edmure Tullys and the Blackfishs return (Riverrun sets and CGI was beautifully realized) as well as everything with the Hound.
  14. THE BFG SOUNDTRACK SAMPLES!

Spacecamp is a very good score which i really enjoy. It is in no way one of JW worst scores. The BFG samples sound great. I'm really looking forward to this surely magical score. I also love the colorful orchestration.