The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

I have no idea what it is then.

It's unusual for them to not tell us what title will be on sale any amount of time less than 7 days beforehand (other than Black Friday).

So maybe it's something special.  Or not.  Who knows lol

15 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's already been released. It's called The Planets by Gustav Holst.

The complete score to Lincoln has also been released. It’s called appalachian spring by Copland. Star Wars is basically Korngold so every composer is inspired by classical composers. It’s a fact

5 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

The complete score to Lincoln has also been released. It’s called appalachian spring by Bernstein. Star Wars is basically Korngold so every composer is inspired by classical composers. It’s a fact

Well, JW wasn't sued by the Copland Foundation over Lincoln.

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So...is this exciting release just E.T. on vinyl?

Karol

Yes. The CD version came out in 2017.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, JW wasn't sued by the Copland Foundation over Lincoln.

Right but still the same thing. Listen to Korngold’s Kngs Row and then to the Star Wars main titles music and tell me it’s not very very similar. 

Also Giacchino’s Star Trek Into Darkness cue “London calling” is very similar to Beethoven.

My point is that every film composer “steals” or is inspired by classical music which is partly why film music is great!😄

2 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Right but still the same thing. Listen to Korngold’s Kingsbury Row and then to the Star Wars main titles music and tell me it’s not very very similar. 

Also Giacchino’s Star Trek Into Darkness cue “London calling”. That’s very similar to Beethoven.

My point is that every film composer “steals” or is inspired by classical music which is partly why film music is great!😄

I don't know what lousy remake you've been watching, but Korngold surely didn't invent the 5th interval with Kings Row.

And I'm not a Gioacchino defender. :)

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't know what lousy remake you've been watching, but Korngold surely didn't invent the 5th interval with Kings Row.

And I'm not a Gioacchino defender. :)

Lol I listened to the Korngold score recently and heard similarities with Star Wars, that’s it ;)

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, it's the 5th and a few more notes, but it never sounded conclusive to me. The same SW snippet reminds a friend of Bruckner's 4th, and it's probably about as close as the Korngold (plus Bruckner repeats it, like Williams does), yet it never even occured to me.

Also, aside from that bit, the only clear Korngold parallel (and that more in style than in notes) is in Chasm Crossfire. I'd say the SW/Holst parallels are at least as strong as the Korngold ones.

Oh, I misunderstood what Karol was asking, I apologize. 

I have no idea what their April 26 release is, and this ET vinyl announcement certainly has nothing to do with that. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

Listen to Korngold’s Kngs Row and then to the Star Wars main titles music and tell me it’s not very very similar. 

I hear heroic brass in both, yet the themes sound virtually completely different to me.

My brother heard the similarity immediately though. Not sure how that works...

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm sure Kingsbury Row has a lot of similarities. :D

My point is just that there's a difference between inspiration and grand theft audio.

No, your point is that you are biased against Zimmer for doing something every composer does. 

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

Ah man, if the 4/26 release turns out to be Alien³, I hope they were able to include the original ending cue written by Goldenthal. Stoked!! :biglaugh:

Alien 3 would be a dream release. I am hard-pressed to find a score in which the music is as actually scary as it is beautiful.  

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

No, your point is that you are biased against Zimmer for doing something every composer does. 

Forget it, Koray.  It's Jurassic Fart. 

Williams lifted more from Elmer Bernstein on Lincoln than Copland, I reckon.  

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, it's the 5th and a few more notes, but it never sounded conclusive to me. The same SW snippet reminds a friend of Bruckner's 4th, and it's probably about as close as the Korngold (plus Bruckner repeats it, like Williams does), yet it never even occured to me.

I would say most of these things are coincidental, or centainly not on purpose references.

27 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

If it's not Alien Cubed, at least the OST is good. It's got that big, bold 20th Century Fox sound of the time.

It's missing the warped Fox fanfare.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm aware of JW's Tchaikovsky rip-off. But at least he's smart enough to do it to music which is in the public domain. :)

It's not a fucking rip-off, it's a thematically fitting homage that is quite obviously conceived with a twinkle in its eye. The sequence in 'Hook' where Williams rewrites Delerue is a much more fitting aspirant for such accusations.

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's not a fucking rip-off, it's a thematically fitting homage that is quite obviously conceived with a twinkle in its eye. The sequence in 'Hook' where Williams rewrites Delerue is a much more fitting aspirant for such accusations.

I was just humoring that Koras fella. I don't mind calling it a homage - my point was that they're very similar compositions. Both are great, though. Btw, which sequence in Hook is similar to Delerue?

1 hour ago, jwalk713 said:

Alien 3 would be a dream release. I am hard-pressed to find a score in which the music is as actually scary as it is beautiful.  

Goldenthal excelled at that sort of thing, but his magnum opus in that regard is Alien³, imo. Sphere, while more wondrous, also follows in that vein

8 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Goldenthal excelled at that sort of thing, but his magnum opus in that regard is Alien³, imo. Sphere, while more wondrous, also follows in that vein

With all the other stuff that has been released over the past years, a complete Sphere is now high up in my holy grails list.

Well, at least the expanded score can tidy us over until the official release

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

The old MCA was a perfect 51 minutes. I doubt longer is better in this case, like the Horner entry more makes it unbearable.

The complete score fleshes out the love theme heard in "Lento" considerably, and features more of the subtle, eerie dissonance dropped from the album in favor of the bombastic "horror" music

9 minutes ago, publicist said:

The old MCA was a perfect 51 minutes. I doubt longer is better in this case, like the Horner entry more makes it unbearable.

Agreed, I just liked the Deluxe Edition for the sound quality, and wouldn't mind the same treatment for Alien 3.

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

With all the other stuff that has been released over the past years, a complete Sphere is now high up in my holy grails list.

I cut the boot down to 60 minutes and now it's in my Top 3 for this composer.

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's missing the warped Fox fanfare.

I' do love to have the ALIENIZED Fox Logo preceding the Opening Titles cue. It is so cool. But it was strangely issued on Silvestri's PREDATOR expanded cd.