Jay

LOST - the music

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Not what I was looking for, but still a great resource!

41 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

LOST, not LOTR, you idiot.

There you go, curlytoot: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Musical_themes

On the page for each theme, there's a "Variations" section that lists the tracks in which the theme appears (it's probably not complete, but it's still a good place to start)

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Thanks very much! Just curious; are these playlists ALL the appearances of those themes in the OSTs? Or just your favorite appearances? 

I'm currently re-watching all of LOST, and am noticing so many great musical choices and thematic weaving this time around.

I was watching the episode where in the flashback Desmond is a monk, and all throughout the episode, Giacchino gives us only half of Desmond and Penny's theme. Literally every scene that Desmond mentions Penny, we hear only half of the theme to indicate that he is not a complete person without her. And then at the end when we see the flashback of them meeting for the first time, Giacchino plays the full theme to show how they are complete when they're together. Such great musical storytelling. 

5 hours ago, curlytoot said:

Thanks very much! Just curious; are these playlists ALL the appearances of those themes in the OSTs? Or just your favorite appearances? 

Should be all appearances, unless I missed any

4 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I'm currently re-watching all of LOST, and am noticing so many great musical choices and thematic weaving this time around.

I was watching the episode where in the flashback Desmond is a monk, and all throughout the episode, Giacchino gives us only half of Desmond and Penny's theme. Literally every scene that Desmond mentions Penny, we hear only half of the theme to indicate that he is not a complete person without her. And then at the end when we see the flashback of them meeting for the first time, Giacchino plays the full theme to show how they are complete when they're together. Such great musical storytelling. 

Hey that''s pretty cool!

Personally, I think if you condensed all of LOST into one focused album, it may be his best work.  As a whole, though, I can't put it above Medal of Honor or Speed Racer, or maybe even The Incredibles.

8 hours ago, mstrox said:

Personally, I think if you condensed all of LOST into one focused album, it may be his best work.  As a whole, though, I can't put it above Medal of Honor or Speed Racer, or maybe even The Incredibles.

For me, it’s how he developed all the themes over the course of 6 seasons that sell it, more so than the highlights throughout. MOH and Speed Racer would be my follow-ups though, I agree with you there. Swap Incredibles out for Ratatouille, though. 

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Going to the LOST concert tomorrow in Dublin conducted by Giacchino. Just been to the concert tonight of his music as a whole. Fantastic. Premiered a suite from Far From Home too. 

Report back please.  I'm also curious if the instrumentation is kept the same or if it was expanded. 

21 hours ago, karelm said:

Report back please.  I'm also curious if the instrumentation is kept the same or if it was expanded. 

He did a rather interesting thing, by having the orchestra set up exactly like they are in recording sessions. They even had normal clothes on, not suits and dresses, like they were on a scoring stage.

There were 5 percussionists, ranging from drums, anvil etc. 4 trombones, 4 double bass, 6 cello, 25 violins, a piano, harp and keyboard. 

They performed many themes. Richard's, The Others (Ben), Life and Death, Oceanic 6, LAX, Moving On, Parting and gathering theme. Travelling theme, Desmond and Penny's theme. Mr. Eko. The opening piece from the first ever scene. Plus many more.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

He did a rather interesting thing, by having the orchestra set up exactly like they are in recording sessions. They even had normal clothes on, not suits and dresses, like they were on a scoring stage.

There were 5 percussionists, ranging from drums, anvil etc. 4 trombones, 4 double bass, 6 cello, 25 violins, a piano, harp and keyboard. 

They performed many themes. Richard's, The Others (Ben), Life and Death, Oceanic 6, LAX, Moving On, Parting and gathering theme. Travelling theme, Desmond and Penny's theme. Mr. Eko. The opening piece from the first ever scene. Plus many more.

Nice, that's basically the same instrumentation as was on the show except more strings.  It must have been a lot of fun.  Who was the harpist?