New Varese Star Trek the Deluxe Edition!

Ollie

I'll wait for initial comments to make up my mind.

Karol - who is definitely not in love with this score (it might change though).

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha, trust KM to put a downer on this by somehow linking it to unreleased Williams music.

You're a bitter man, Mark!

Indeed Quint. KM if you wanna bitch about the release go do it on FSM and quit pissin' on everyone else' enjoyment here. Just because it's not a Williams release or Spartacus you get up in arms over it and think it's a waste or shit. You're almost as bad as Thor.

Edit: Guys just wait until we have the score in hand to judge whether or not it's complete. We can't say for certain it's all pure speculation at this point.

A lot of the other track times are quite confusing... Hopefully they didn't place random inserts or alternates in the middle of other tracks!

I'm guessing not - that doesn't seem to be the M.O. with Giacchino releases, and these cues easily could have been longer than what was heard in the film. Some of them we already knew were missing material (e.g. "Trekking Down the Narada").

Fine.I'll just remove my comments .Sorry. You guys enjoy it. I'll go complain about the shoddy 3 c.d. release of Williams concert music in the other thread instead

hook_bad_form.jpg

To KM for nay-saying, or to those who responded to the nay-saying with name-calling, you decide! Personally, I just wanted an excuse to use the graphic...

But for my two cents, this is a terrifically exciting release! :thumbup:

Wow, came out of left field! Kudos to Varèse for releasing this.

Except for two things:

- Why as a Deluxe Edition? This doesn't cost me 30 dollars, but 37 + 8 or 9 or more dollars shipping costs (because Varèse doesn't give discount to other retailers + can't order from VS itself because of customs). It's a bit much.

and this:

-I don't get at ALL why they are giving us the final film version Main Titles (which are just an edit of Enterprising Young Men) instead of one of Giacchino's two original main titles - makes no sense!

When I saw the title of this topic, I instantly assumed it was Goldsmith's score, and prepared myself to read an onslaught of "wow, the whole score, finally!!!!" and being generally uninterested.

But this is a most pleasant surprise - definitely buying it. What makes me happier actually is that the idea of releasing limited quantities of current scores has been realised. Of course, it's for a mega-blockbuster, but it means the union is willing to negotiate.

Complete? Well the film wasn't that long that I recall, and there was lots of tracking, plus Giacchino has said himself that he hopes Varese could release the full score sometime, so there's a good bet. Luckily, I've only seen the film once and wouldn't notice anything missing

Way better idea than a vol 2 as well. We don't need to resequence anything or (hopefully) deal with alternates. Will definitely be renaming these track titles to something more sensible however..

Seriously ,how does something like that come out 1 year after the movie? Where's all that re-use fee ,rights crap that tangle up every single Williams releases?

You've just had Black Sunday and The Poseidon Adventure. Go sit in the corner and listen to them, and let every other, positive, contributor to this thread enjoy this release. I mean FFS, if it ain't JW, you don't want it to happen do you?

I generally find that Colosseum's prices for the disc on its own are more expensive than ordering from Varese direct including shipping.

With STIII and my lady's birthday next month, it's unlikely I'll be able to get this right away, but I'm wary of it selling out quickly.

Yay! The action music can get a little interminable and there's too much reliance on the main theme, but this is a score with a lot of heart. And a lot of unreleased music. Instant buy.

Woot! Very nice to wake up to this though I regret not staying up yesterday - had two hours to go before the sleepy hit.

Also picked up Freud too. Can't wait for them both!

I didn't bother staying up or rising early - I've lost track of when Varese announces their stuff. That and, I never imagined it would be something modern.

OMG ;) 40 € at colosseum...

And it is limited (eeeeek)

Yeah, some 'convenience' that is :)

One batch last year, I had inaccurate hopes for one particular title, and registered at Coliseum. That's when I realised it's actually cheaper to buy direct from Varese than it is to order from Europe. Whether it's a true reflection of costs or just an attempt to make a bit more money, it doesn't really work.

It is shocking that I have ordered 2 Trek movie scores in 2 days.

Yes! Well, two in a week for me.

Wonderful news, glad to see the rumors were true after all. This could turn out to be the Year of Star Trek. Ordered.

Anyone know why SAE is selling it for 7 bucks more than Varese?

It is shocking that I have ordered 2 Trek movie scores in 2 days.

I ordered two Star Trek scores in less than 2 hours!

Anyone know why SAE is selling it for 7 bucks more than Varese?

Varèse doesn't give discount on their Club releases, so they are always $ 5,- or more cheaper at Varèse than at other retailers.

Great news for all the fans of this score. I might actually even be tempted to buy this.

I ordered. I'm not in LOVE with this score, but I do like it. But I am always open to an expanded release re-shaping my impressions of a score. Plus I'm a Trek completist.

But sadly, I put off ordering ST III, a score I enjoy waaaay more, because it's unlimited.

As for the "Blu Ray sized packaging", I do hope that Varese never does weird packaging again after all the complaints. No one, and I mean no one, likes sore thumbs sticking out on the CD shelf. I appreciate that they wanted to do something special, but they should stay within the dimensions of a standard case.

You've just had Black Sunday and The Poseidon Adventure. Go sit in the corner and listen to them, and let every other, positive, contributor to this thread enjoy this release. I mean FFS, if it ain't JW, you don't want it to happen do you?

Actually ,Poseidon Adventure is part of the problem. We don't get new stuff, just the same old stuff that sounds a bit better. Mainly bought it for completeness sake

New stuff? The man doesn't write new stuff. That's not a "problem," it's just the way things are.

What of his more recent scores -- aside from the Potters -- are popular enough to warrant expanded releases?

I'm surprised Harry Potter hasn't been expanded yet, via iTunes exclusive tracks or anything like that. Even a kind of sampler CD containing bonus tracks from all the different scores. By their very nature, all the Harry Potter soundtracks have been very popular and are prime for complete/expanded releases. I'm hopeful we'll get them.

I forgot to put 2009 in the title.

I kept refreshing Varese's site and when I saw Star Trek I thought it was TMP.

Damn you Olivarez, I thought the same!

Well if the rumors are true you may have your wish granted soon. :)

I'm surprised Harry Potter hasn't been expanded yet, via iTunes exclusive tracks or anything like that. Even a kind of sampler CD containing bonus tracks from all the different scores. By their very nature, all the Harry Potter soundtracks have been very popular and are prime for complete/expanded releases. I'm hopeful we'll get them.

Potter 1 is approaching its 10th anniversary (woah....) next year. Gotta count for something, surely.

But I can't see WB giving the rights to any label that would do it properly.

Actually ,Poseidon Adventure is part of the problem. We don't get new stuff, just the same old stuff that sounds a bit better. Mainly bought it for completeness sake

For those of us that weren't able to get the older releases it's a great opportunity to pick it up.

Whew, just ordered. Feels a little silly paying almost $40 for this thing, but oh well. I do want to support releases like this, and my bank account is going to be feeling a little healthier soon anyway...and I'm going to enjoy getting to listen to the score! :)

ORDERED!

By the way have I mentioned the Giacchino has grown on me over the last year. I've gone from disliking it and finding it disappointing to listening to it in my car every other day.

Mark Olivarez, I sincerely apologize for ever thinking you are foolish for liking it. :)

Absolutely! We've already addressed this in the thread. I think this is a "best of both worlds." I got to experience the fun challenge of putting together a complete score (along with anyone else who wanted to), and now we get an even better version! :D

There'll still be a few things missing, though, I believe - the pieces of source music, some alternates, etc.

One thing I'm wondering about is what mixes this album will contain. The album, film, and DVD features differ in the presence and absence of percussion, choir, and/or erhu, depending on the cue. It'll be interesting to see what they choose to use. I must say, I hope the film mix of "Hangar Management" (fun title!) is used, at least. Sometimes the heavier percussion overdubs in the film strike me as unnecessary, but that particular cue sounds rather underwhelming without it.

Yeah, I believe he said he helped add in some or all of those overdubs toward the end of the process. That being the case, I guess it's pretty unlikely they'll be in there. The choir, though, could be mixed the way it's mixed in the film - or not. Same goes for the erhu, which in some cases was dialed out of the film, leaving the orchestra to play by itself.

Well, thank you for doing those mixes, Datameister. I listen to them more often than the OST.

Looking at your edits and the track timings, it's clear that a couple of cues may have been merged for this release.

But it definately looks like we have around 80-90% of the score here, if not all of it.

I'm just laughing out loud at the cue titles !!!

The Flask At Hand, Flying Into a Trphlthdl and I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up! are priceless !!!

Absolutely! It's a really fun process for me. I expect anyone who happened to get their hands on it to buy this release now, though. :D

Yeah, some cues had to be merged (e.g. "Star Trek" and "Narada Bing"). I'm thinking some of these are just cases of single cues having their middle passages dialed out of the film, though, so what we thought were distinct cues actually never were.

Well if the rumors are true you may have your wish granted soon. :D

Are there really rumors of TMP coming? Did I miss something?

I'm Spa... what? Oh. Good, I'll order this.

Seriously, at 5000 units, surely we expect this to last a bit? I'd still like to put off placing my huge order until Spartacus is announced as well.

That should be the same size as the old DVD-A audio cases. Just slightly larger than a jewel case.

Meaning it won't fit in my regular CD shelves. It'll have to go on the "special editions" shelf, together with the LOTR CEs.

Well if the rumors are true you may have your wish granted soon. :D

Are there really rumors of TMP coming? Did I miss something?

Right now the rumors are circulating, don't ask me where they started I have no idea, that Star Trek TMP & Star Trek V are next on the release schedule.

LaLaLand is the label that is supposedly releasing them.

Like I said these are just rumors with no substantial proof. But it seems to be picking up steam.

I can't believe the continuing bitch fest on FSM over this release. If people are that unhappy about it then they shouldn't buy the damn thing (more for us) and need to quit acting like a spoiled little bitch because Spartacus, Family Plot or some other score wasn't released that they were hoping for.