Danny Elfman's Batman (2CD Complete)

Jay

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both Batman and Batman Returns almost equally, for entirely different reasons. They are both great scores in their own ways.

I hope Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Edward Scissorhands and Mission Impossible can get the deluxe treatment next.

I concur regarding both Batman scores. :beerchug: My only question is that there is an iso-score on the Edward Scissorhands DVD and would an expanded/complete Edward Scissorhands sdtk actually sell? :unsure: For me yup I would buy it because I will not buy any of those pirate thingys. However I hope the upcoming Alien boxset won't interfere with LLL Alien Resurrection CD release. Honestly I would prefer Alien 3. ;)

Do people really pay for boots? I don't think it's right to exchange money when the composer doesn't see any of it.

I like both Batman and Batman Returns almost equally, for entirely different reasons. They are both great scores in their own ways.

I hope Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Edward Scissorhands and Mission Impossible can get the deluxe treatment next.

I concur regarding both Batman scores. :beerchug: My only question is that there is an iso-score on the Edward Scissorhands DVD and would an expanded/complete Edward Scissorhands sdtk actually sell? :unsure: For me yup I would buy it because I will not buy any of those pirate thingys. However I hope the upcoming Alien boxset won't interfere with LLL Alien Resurrection CD release. Honestly I would prefer Alien 3. ;)

Do people really pay for boots? I don't think it's right to exchange money when the composer doesn't see any of it.

There's a guy on the 700 line at Comic-Con who does, and for a high price ($40-60), but of course he calls them special or expanded editions.

The people who work on the official CDs, and the artists and technicians who pour their souls into creating these works in the first place, IMHO, deserve better than this. ;)

Folks I have to admit I was tempted to purchase one particular unmentionable back in 2008, a Paramount title sdtk. But when LLL released a complete score to Airplane in 2009 I was happy because I know there is a strong possibility that many more Paramount titles will be released in the near future. Most recent ex: Star Trek II & III.

So I am crossing my fingers and I say nay to those once again unmentionables. :unsure:

Sorry to get off topic, looking forward to Batman, and listening to the sample cues. :beerchug:

Cooool !

This was my fourth movie score LP ever

The first ones were E.T. , Gremlins, Ghostbusters ; these two were so short on the actual score, however, that E.T. & Batman really were my first two score-only albums.

It will be great to have a complete Batman Returns as well; for some odd reason, like the movie, it's often dismissed as utterly inferior to the first one, when it certainly is not.

obbats0004.gif

Returns is a lot broader. The development of the three character themes is wonderful. It also contains some of Elfman's most creative and ridiculous writing, like Batman Vs. the Circus, the Penguin's commando address sequence, Birth of Penguin and the finale. Amazing stuff. Elfman has NOT topped it since. I think it's perhaps his best achievement, but that's me.

I never really cared for Batman Returns' score all that much, like I do with Batman. All though I will certainly revisit the music for Returns, when La-La Land releases it. Honestly I'm looking forward to Batman most than Returns.

Returns is a lot broader. Elfman has NOT topped it since. I think it's perhaps his best achievement, but that's me.

... and me.

Birth Of A Penguin is the essential Elfman main title sequence for me.

The little reverb gives the pulsating strings an edge that I adore.

The part that gets me most is track 2, right after the basket goes down the drain and the credits begin, up to the bats flying in over the logo. There's another part I used to rewind all the time and listen to over and over again, when the basket goes under a waterfall in the sewer. I damaged my VHS and eventually got the soundtrack.

Birth Of A Penguin is the essential Elfman main title sequence for me.

The little reverb gives the pulsating strings an edge that I adore.

"Birth of a Penguin" is amazing. That was the track I bought the OST for, in fact. I was disappointed when the rest of the score didn't measure up, at least to my ear.

The best part of Batman Returns is when the Penguin addresses the Penguins and that snare heavy music for the penguins diving in segues into that rousing militant statement of the Batman theme for the appearance of the Bat Skiboat. I could listen to that a zillion times. Man, Batman used to be so cool.

I wonder if they'll rename the track titles for Returns. The whole Part 1, Part 2 thing was kinda lame.

I wonder if they'll rename the track titles for Returns. The whole Part 1, Part 2 thing was kinda lame.

I think the track titles that La-La Land uses for their releases are the original track titles that the composer came up with.

The part that gets me most is track 2, right after the basket goes down the drain and the credits begin, up to the bats flying in over the logo. There's another part I used to rewind all the time and listen to over and over again, when the basket goes under a waterfall in the sewer. I damaged my VHS and eventually got the soundtrack.

That bit is awesome. I'm not a huge fan of the score, but the opening is incredible.

Actually, later pressings of the OST came up with unique names for each track. I think the Part 1s took the name from the early pressings, and they invented a new name for the part 2s.

I think the track titles that La-La Land uses for their releases are the original track titles that the composer came up with.

Well, they do match this list:

http://www.filmscore...?threadID=69994

I swear I saw a post on FSM with a full cue list with slate numbers, and I swear a bunch were different than this list, but I can't find it now. I wish they had a better search engine

Well, I've just watched Batman, and there isn't much that is not on the OST, right? It's just a few short variations on the Batman theme, the best ones being a short piano version and the even shorter entrance at the museum.

The OST is far from complete, if you look at the track listings of both discs on Page 1 of this thread, you can see they included the original album presentation (remastered). Batman is one of those scores that it could definitely benefit with a complete version.

Well, that's just a different (and worse, apparently) mix of the score. Really, there were even fewer bits than I expected.

The other LLR title at Comic-Con? It's Krull.

Hasn't "Krull" been done? I bought the vinyl, then the Southern X release, then the 2-c.d. set (funilly enough, on the day I went to see J.W.).

I wonder what else there is to release?

As for "Batman": BRING IT ON !!!!

Well then I guess that's an extra 30 bucks in your wallet?

For now. I bet I'm not going to resist it when it sells out, but it does give me the luxury to wait for the reviews first, this time. I can't even remember the time when that was a regular habit.

The other LLR title at Comic-Con? It's Krull.

Hasn't "Krull" been done? I bought the vinyl, then the Southern X release, then the 2-c.d. set (funilly enough, on the day I went to see J.W.).

I wonder what else there is to release?

Mark and OneBuckFilms reveal what has changed in the posts that follow.

This release is most likely aimed at those who either don't own the SuperTracks or feel bad about listening to it w/o paying James Horner. I will appreciate buying this.

RE: Krull.

The cue "Vella" moved, and there are 2 additional tracks at the end. The Colwyn and Lyssa Love Theme was also moved to the end.

It looks like a good release, of course, but I already have the SuperTracks release of the score.

There are two "bonus" tracks on the new Krull, one is an album edit of one of the cues and the other one is the Theme From Krull, which wasn't on any previous album. Plus they moved 2 cues around, the love theme is after the end credits now and the other one is placed in film order I believe.

****Edit****** I was eating lunch while posting and it apparently took me 9 minutes while OneBuck was posting the same thing. :)

Incidently, I reorganized my mp3s of the score from the SuperTracks release, and placed the Love Theme at the very beginning, like Ilia's Theme for TMP, an Overture I guess.

If Vella's in the wrong place on the SuperTracks release, I'll move that cue to match the new release. :)

Vella IS in the wrong place on the supertracks release; Its in the correct order on the LLL release

Starting the score off with the love theme track is a genius idea! Especially if they had been able to license the song (love theme with lyrics) for the end of the release. Too bad they couldn't get that.

Vella IS in the wrong place on the supertracks release; Its in the correct order on the LLL release

Starting the score off with the love theme track is a genius idea! Especially if they had been able to license the song (love theme with lyrics) for the end of the release. Too bad they couldn't get that.

Thanks guys. MP3 track order corrected :lol:

I've decided to pass on this as I passed on Back to the Future. Two scores that I am highly familiar with and enjoy, scores to films that are among my very favorites. But they're two scores that I no longer have much desire to listen to outside of the films! What's happening to me?

I've decided to pass on this as I passed on Back to the Future. Two scores that I am highly familiar with and enjoy, scores to films that are among my very favorites. But they're two scores that I no longer have much desire to listen to outside of the films! What's happening to me?

Do you need to be beaten back into reality or somethin'? :lol:

To me Back To The Future is one of those must have scores. It never had a proper release. It did have a boot but with wrong speed and terrible hissing to it, even that wasn't complete. It's nice to hear the full score in crystal clarity. As well as great cues such as "Skateboard Chase", the full "The Clocktower" cues as well as the original "85' Lone Pine Mall" cue.

He's reached an age where the desires to hear a musical score outside the context of the film have suddenly dried out. After a while, the novelty factor disappears. Once this happens, all your great tastes will disappear... forever... once this is done there is no going back... you will feel like an ordinary man... and your musical tastes can be changed like an ordinary man.

It'll happen to all of you.

My feelings toward JW scores haven't changed. Star Wars is still the best score ever and I listen to it weekly, daily. Whenever I'm laying down at night and E.T. is frequently on one of the HD movie channels, I always take in the film version of E.T. is Dying and melt. Every time. I think I've just outgrown other composers because they're frankly not as good.

My feelings toward JW scores haven't changed. Star Wars is still the best score ever and I listen to it weekly, daily. Whenever I'm laying down at night and E.T. is frequently on one of the HD movie channels, I always take in the film version of E.T. is Dying and melt. Every time. I think I've just outgrown other composers because they're frankly not as good.

Speak for yourself, Captain. I plan to have variety.

Have you ever had to look again at the top of the screen to remind yourself what thread you're reading again?

I wonder should I buy it, or should I wait until it is confirmed that if it will be included in the Elfman box set.

I wouldn't wait if I were you.

I doubt the full score will be with the Burton/Elfman box set. Chances are as Jay suggested it maybe just the OST's re-issued in this box set.

So is this thing available for order? It's supposedly being released next Tuesday but I've been all over the LaLa Land site and don't even see it listed. You'd think if the release date is only three days away, they'd be promoting it heavily on their site.

On the other hand, I could just be missing something blindingly obvious. Wouldn't be the first time.