• Announcements

• Jay

Donation time at JWFan   01/16/18

Hello!

For those who may not know, JWFan relies entirely on donations to keep running.  Donations pay for our server bills, as well as keeping our domain and Invision Powerboard fees.
      As an incentive to donate, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Last time this was a modest success, where I raised $500 of our desired $1,000 and mailed out 3 free CDs to lucky JWFanners.  This time I'll be doing the raffling a littler different!   Our goal is $1000 once again, and I will have four tiers of free CDs you can win once again.  But this time, the more you donate, the more entries into each raffle you'll get!   Each $10 you donate gets your name put into the raffle mug once for the $10 pool, twice for the $20 pool, thrice for the $30 pool, and five times into the $50 pool.  Here is the list of CDs you can win - and I have more to add at a later time when I get a little more organized (I'll post what they are by Friday at the latest)   The $10 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you one ticket into this pool) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $250 donated Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   The $20 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you two ticket into this pool, must donate at least $20 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $500 donated John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $30 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you three ticket into this pool, must donate at least $30 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $750 donated James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $50 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you five ticket into this pool, must donate at least $50 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $1,000 donated Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
king mark

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer films)

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

^On that ... is 'The Room' itself actually worth seeing? 'Cause sometimes bad movies are hilariously entertaining, but the incompetence on display can also just be irritating.  

Honestly the movie can be a bit on the boring side, like how Jaws 3 is mostly a bleary movie in its suckitude. There are some gems in there, though, most of which have been highlighted by memes years ago. 

Father Figures

Pretty terrible. We only saw it because no one else wanted to watch TLJ again.

Dead Poets Society

Brilliant and bitter-sweet. Really a special film that particularly resonates with me as a student. 

14 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

^On that ... is 'The Room' itself actually worth seeing? 'Cause sometimes bad movies are hilariously entertaining, but the incompetence on display can also just be irritating.  

It's a fun movie to watch with friends and riff. It's got a cult following for a reason. Tommy Wiseau is a literal alien.

On 30/12/2017 at 1:01 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Just watch it. It's sublime:

Karol

32 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

But, still the first one had better visuals and story.

I liked it a lot. I have to watch it again before I'll decide how good I find the story as a continuation of the original. But one thing I can say for sure is that 2049 was one of the most amazing looking films I've seen, and if Deacon doesn't finally win an Oscar for it the world is not right.

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Blade Runner 2049.

It was OK.

I feared that I would be bored but I wasn't.

But, still the first one had better visuals and story.

This one doesn't seem like something that will remain a classic after 30-40 years.

Wow, you broke your own rule and watched a new movie!

Coco

Great visuals but the humor is tired and the story is kind of mediocre.  Giacchino's score is pretty bland, featuring the same cartoony tone of all his other scores.  Would have been interesting if they'd brought in an actual Mexican composer (or somebody who wouldn't just make it "Mexican music cliches + wacky mickey mousing").  

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Wow, you broke your own rule and watched a new movie!

Heheh. You remember that!

Yes, I thought to see what was the fuss about.

Also i was intrigued more because the opinions in  the internet were generally controversial. Others considered it bad, and others a masterpiece.

A local critic here who I trust, gave it 1* out of 5.

Well, the rule has exceptions.

This must be 1 post-2000 movie (not including anime) out of a 100 pre-2000 that I've watched.

The next ones will be The Post, Last Jedi and Call me by Your name (and maaaaybe Mother), and I think I'll be finished for the year. :P

Image result for the post cast

The Post

Not any kind of new masterpiece, but not bad, either!  It's a fairly interesting story, told in a mostly "comfort food" kind of way, like grandpa Spielberg and Hanks are taking you through the beats in the most standard way possible - the film has no surprises and is predictable throughout, but that isn't necessarily a complaint.  The cast is great, not only Streep and Hanks as (kind of) co-leads (I guess by the end its more Streep's film), but the huge supporting cast, the kind where new characters keep popping up and you go "oh, it's that guy!"  I was amused to see the guy from The Americans playing another character stealing government secrets, and of course seeing Odendirk and Cross on-screen together again!

The film was expertly spotted, before the end credits begin rolling there's barely over 30 minutes of score throughout its 2 hours, and its almost dropped in right when it should be and doesn't outstay its welcome.  The score might not make for the most fun album you can listen to, but it suits the film like a velvet glove for sure.

I don't expect this to win any of the big awards at the Oscars at all, now that I've seen it.  

The Last Jedi for a second time ... this time the over-length and Johnson's desire to kick against/twist the SW 'lore' were a sight more noticeable, to the film's detriment. There's still stuff in it I dig, though.

Coco

Solid entry from pixar. The animation was top notch especially regarding the details in the environment. Especially when

Spoiler

Miguel gets thrown in the hole with Hector. I thought the water looked practically real

The songs were fun, but I didn't really notice the score too often.

The Disaster Artist

This was funnier than I thought it was, considering I could barely get through half of The Room. James Franco has a real affection for the movie, as well as his leading performance as Tommy Wiseau. Franco manages to make Wiseau funny, eccentric, and vulnerable. His younger brother Dave playing Greg Sistero wasn't quite as impressive (they could've gotten someone who looked more on point), but he played well against James. The supporting cast was excellent, and the various cameos were hilarious.

I doubt this will get serious Oscar love, but this is a very entertaining film.

Saw The Post. Great film, well-acted, and very relevant too. Williams's score was sparse especially for a Spielberg film, but its use in the climax was fantastic. - 8.5 / 10

My 1:40 showing sold out though, and it was surprisingly a mix of older people, and some younger ones too. I don't even think my The Last Jedi showing had as many people in it as my Post screening did. Nuts!

Darkest Hour - under superb prosthetics, a virtually unrecognisable Gary Oldman plays Winston Churchill brilliantly. An amusing, stirring and at times moving film that I enjoyed very much; it would make for a ideal companion piece to Dunkirk.   

Jumanji

It was about as good as I expected given the general consensus is that it's better than it looks. Kevin Hart still bugs the crap out of me, but I thought everyone else did a great job. Lots of genuinely funny parts, and it was well paced. 7/10