The John Williams Jurassic Park Collection from La-La Land MUSIC Discussion

Jay

I just figured I'd help a fellow fan out and actually list the exact info he was looking for, rather than referring to cue lists he'd have to search through to figure out what ended up where. 

It was a legitimate question.

Oh, well.

I enjoy the 20th Anniversary album tracks. I've said it before, they are very well-edited in the style of the best Williams albums and fit right in with OST program as if they had always been there. Without the edits to make some musical sense out of the complete score, you're left with awkward abrupt ends to cues such as Incident at Isla Nublar and Race to the Docks.

Having listened to the La-La Land presentation for weeks now, I have to say that regarding the listening experience the OST of Jurassic Park flows better, because of the relatively short running time of many tracks and the kind some tracks end. But The Lost World is better on the LLL Edition as the tracks are all at least 2 minutes long, besides the OST lacks a bunch of aspects of the score itself.

On 2017-01-16 at 7:04 PM, Josh500 said:

/---/ if it's been done by the artist himself (i.e. John Williams) it's something different entirely. I always respect and appreciate that.

Hmm... regarding the bonus tracks on the 20th, is it confirmed that these were chosen and edited (well, perhaps not edited, but at least supervised) by JW? When I think about it, it seems unlikely that he would go back to 20 year-old tracks to edit them anew... Perhaps it was done by the studio and then only with the composer's approval - or *gasp* not even that!!!! How do we know?

I don't know if I really understand exactly what it is you are asking, the way your question is worded.  Can you try rewording it?

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

To what degree was JW involved when it came to the bonus tracks on the 20th?

JW approved it.

What's so hard to understand about this?

I don't think the process of combining cues for the 20th's bonus tracks was any different than when first assembling an OST for a new score. 

Anybody else always expects to hear "Falling Car" right after "Incident"?

In the movie, they are far apart, but somehow these 2 cues belong together! 

For a long time (after 1993) I even thought this is one continuous piece, and a hell of a good one... Until I realized this is made up of two separate cues.

36 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Anybody else always expects to hear "Falling Car" right after "Incident"?

In the movie, they are far apart, but somehow these 2 cues belong together! 

For a long time (after 1993) I even thought this is one continuous piece, and a hell of a good one... Until I realized this is made up of two separate cues.

Yes. Same here. Its one of the best segues of the two cues. Of course, we are all used to it.It will take time to unburn that memory. I'll play my new set this week end. Its gonna be a great ride.

18 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I can't unhear Hammond's Plan into The Long Grass, either. 

I had a personal edit of TLW so long that I nowadays separate them pretty easily but I have to admit that the last time I listened to the complete score I still waited for those drums to come in after the Island Fanfare faded away. :lol:

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I can't unhear Hammond's Plan into The Long Grass, either. 

Same here!

It fits, it fits wonderfully! Not cinematically, but musically! :lol:

Well half the track does!

I wonder if Williams just slotted that track there to troll fans into thinking Hammond would play a role in getting the characters off the island in the second half of the film? :lol: 

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well half the track does!

I wonder if Williams just slotted that track there to troll fans into thinking Hammond would play a role in getting the characters off the island in the second half of the film? :lol: 

No. :)

Without seeing the movie, how would we know that The Long Grass included in the track? Of course, if we'd seen the movie, we'd know that didn't happen. 

I think it just fits musically.... I'm always fascinated by these random combinations. Like I said before, if it's done by the composer or with the approval of the composer, I respect that. It's one form of artistic statement.

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

No. :)

Without seeing the movie, how would we know that The Long Grass included in the track? Of course, if we'd seen the movie, we'd know that didn't happen. 

I think he meant including Revealing the Plans in track 8 on the OST, while it's actually the second of Williams' compositions to be heard in the movie. The tracklist reads as if Hammond comes up with a plan after Sarah has been rescued. ;)

25 minutes ago, crumbs said:

What @Mr. Breathmask said.

It was clearly a prelude to Qui-Gon's Noble End. JW's trolling was just getting started!

Yes  I see what you mean, although I wouldn't exactly call it trolling...

Most OS albums are released BEFORE the movie opens, so it could be a calculated move (maybe at the suggestion of Spielberg) not to disclose the exact plot of the movie.... 

I recently made a complete score edit in OST style (just for fun), so I connected around 30 tracks to around 15 tracks (of each score) so that they fit musically and thematically. I changed my edits until they all segued perfectly. After I listened to these edits many times I got totally used to them. Then I asked several friend who were not used to the scores at all to spot the segue - they hardly found any of them.

So all those edited cues are not predestinated to segue, but it is just a matter of whether you are used to certain edits or not. There are theoretically thousands of combinations possible.

• 3 weeks later...

It was always my favorite as a kid...now that I hear it clean, it's the most beautiful thing I ever heard!

No, but seriously, that's a great cue. One of many that I'm beyond thrilled to finally have. Getting a complete TLW has been everything I hoped it would be.

Now that we have the complete TLW, I have a hard time deciding which Complete JW score is my next holy grail.

But I'd say:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban 

2. Phantom Menace 

3. JFK 

Let's hope we'll get all three within a year or two! :D

27 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I wouldn't mind a six disc box set of the prequels.

Even A.I. got 3 CDs. Pretty sure TPM, if done right, gets 3CDs as well.

AOTC and ROTS only require 2 each, I'd say.

5 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

To be realistic, we'll probably all be dead by the time the complete Prequel scores are released.

YOU maybe because, you know, Titanic is about to hit the iceberg, but not me!

:D

I predict we'll get new 2CD sets of each of the original six Star Wars scores by 2020 at the latest.