Mari

John Williams returns to Chicago -- April 26-29, 2018

Recommended Posts

Holy frickin' Christ.

 

I'm speechless. 

 

Are tickets on sale?

 

I was starting to think this moment would never come. 

 

Wow. 

 

EDIT: Looks like tickets aren't on sale. But can't find out when they will be. 

 

Are any of these special subscription concerts?

 

------------------------

 

I damn near had a heart attack when I saw this. In a good way. ;)

 

Now I just have to hope he stays healthy.

 

I wonder who will co-conduct. 

 

Will anyone else be going? (I sure as hell am, as you may have gleaned!)

 

Now Tanglewood doesn't matter as much anymore (obviously, I'd still love to go!! - but at least it looks like that won't be my only chance to see JW).

 

Hope the program gets released soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this all goes as planned, these concerts will likely see the Williams' conducted premieres (and maybe premieres as such) of music from the three films coming up in late 17/early 18. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tom said:

If this all goes as planned, these concerts will likely see the Williams' conducted premieres (and maybe premieres as such) of music from the three films coming up in late 17/early 18. 

 

:woop::woop::woop:

 

I wonder if Episode VIII will have more than one suite, if any. Didn't Phantom Menace get a full published suite but then the next two only got one each ("Across the Stars" and "Battle of the Heroes").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Will said:

 

:woop::woop::woop:

 

I wonder if Episode VIII will have more than one suite, if any. Didn't Phantom Menace get a full published suite but then the next two only got one each ("Across the Stars" and "Battle of the Heroes").

Episode VIII will have a full suite.  The prequel sequels were the result of Williams losing interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom said:

Episode VIII will have a full suite.  The prequel sequels were the result of Williams losing interest. 

 

Oh, cool. I hope you're right! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did The Imperial March premiere with Williams new gig with the Boston Pop s before the opening of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK? I cant seem to recall. But Wouldnt it be great if he did something similar with one NEW theme from EPISODE 8 in one of these concerts! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, azahid said:

Did The Imperial March premiere with Williams new gig with the Boston Pop s before the opening of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK? I cant seem to recall. But Wouldnt it be great if he did something similar with one NEW theme from EPISODE 8 in one of these concerts! ?

I'd rather they save it until release like they did with TFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, azahid said:

Did The Imperial March premiere with Williams new gig with the Boston Pop s before the opening of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK? I cant seem to recall.

 

Yes, Williams premiered both The Imperial March and Yoda's Theme at the opening concert of the 1980 Pops Season (his first as BPO principal conductor):

 

 

Pops1980.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way he will premiere anything from The Last Jedi. Times were different in 1980, plus, that concert was just a couple of days before ESB opened

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering this is in 2018, I doubt they'll premiere anything from a movie coming out before Christmas this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TownerFan said:

 

Yes, Williams premiered both The Imperial March and Yoda's Theme at the opening concert of the 1980 Pops Season (his first as BPO principal conductor):

 

 

Pops1980.JPG

 

Oh man I love seeing that program!  I'm guessing the selections from A Little Night Music is the same arrangement recorded for the "That's Entertainment" BPO album released in 1981.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, azahid said:

Did The Imperial March premiere with Williams new gig with the Boston Pop s before the opening of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK? I cant seem to recall. But Wouldnt it be great if he did something similar with one NEW theme from EPISODE 8 in one of these concerts! ?

 

Hedwig's Theme too, at Tanglewood! 

 

That would indeed be cool.

 

Particularly if the concert was recorded on radio.

 

Because if not, our first impression would come from low quality smartphone videos, which wouldn't be ideal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main page is soooo miss-leading! It says April 27-30, which means there would be a performance on my birthday.

 

At any rate, I think this is something I need to seriously look into for next year. Very seriously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams certainly won't perform any music from The Last Jedi, Edgardo Mortara, or Ready Player One at any of his 2017 concerts.

 

If this is his first 2018 concert, it certainly could be the first time pieces from those are played for a live audience under his baton, yes!

 

However, it's entirely possible The Last Jedi will have some sort of LA event for the premiere or something that he might conduct some time in December of this year, who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

 

Oh man I love seeing that program!  I'm guessing the selections from A Little Night Music is the same arrangement recorded for the "That's Entertainment" BPO album released in 1981.

 

Yeah, to be able to hear THE REIVERS and THE COWBOYS performed by Williams live these days would surely be a nice change of pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thor said:

 

Yeah, to be able to hear THE REIVERS and THE COWBOYS performed by Williams live these days would surely be a nice change of pace.

 

The Cowboys Overture was performed at one of the three 2013 Chicago concerts, actually. (I didn't go - wasn't even a fan then! - but of course I've seen the program.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Will said:

 

The Cowboys Overture was performed at one of the three 2013 Chicago concerts, actually. (I didn't go - wasn't even a fan then! - but of course I've seen the program.)

 

Yes, I was there.

 

I flew to Chicago three times to see JW conducting the CSO--2005, 2007 and 2013. All three times he performed fantastic and diverse programs which I enjoyed immensely. I truly might consider going a fourth time, as the orchestra, the hall and the atmosphere are just great (I'm actually toying with the idea of going to Boston with two dear friends for this year's Pops film night, but I don't know if I can manage it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicago 2013 was my first John Williams experience and my first US visit ever.
It was also the first time I heard an symphony orchestra live. He even signed my Jurassic Park Booklet.
So there are so many unforgettable memories with Chicago. 
I will definitely start to save my money for this 2018 concerts!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

April 2018? That's a long way away. 

 

Yeah...

 

Just have to keep my fingers crossed that Williams stays in good health. 

 

The wait would seem interminable, probably, except I have several new JW scores to look forward to before then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams also played the extended "Reivers" piece in Chicago in 2007 with the narration performed by Sen. Alan Simpson.  I actually heard that before I was even aware of the Burgess Meredith recording, which was a nice surprise afterward.

 

I got to go in '07 and '13, and I'll move heaven and earth to be there again in '18.  How awesome that it's four concerts this time!  The CSO knows who brings in the cash.  Seriously, it's a Williams golden age for them lately.  Raiders with live score last summer (saw that!), E.T. last November, Marsalis playing the Catch Me If You Can suite sometime this spring, Jaws this summer, and the man himself in 2018.  Even their Merry, Merry Chicago concert featured "Somewhere in my Memory" and "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas!" this past December.  (I saw that one, too!) 

 

Williams must genuinely love the toddlin' town.  It's got to be his most frequent non-Boston venue, right?  I'm biased, but I can't blame him.  Symphony Center is drop-dead gorgeous (though insanely expensive).

 

#Chicago #FlyTheJW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, igger6 said:

#FlyTheJW

 

ROTFLMAO

 

 

Perfect!!

 

11 minutes ago, igger6 said:

It's got to be his most frequent non-Boston venue, right?

 

That title might actually go to LA. I don't know. But Chicago would be third at the very least!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

April 2018? That's a long way away. The US might have been fully turned into a dictatorship by then...

 

The CSO presents a fabulous night of John Williams conducting the Theme from Air Force One continuously for two hours! 

 

I'm excited. I was there in 2013 but missed him in 2011. I can see it now...Suite from Star Wars: The Last Jedi. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BuzzLightyear said:

Chicago 2013 was my first John Williams experience and my first US visit ever.
It was also the first time I heard an symphony orchestra live. He even signed my Jurassic Park Booklet.
So there are so many unforgettable memories with Chicago. 
I will definitely start to save my money for this 2018 concerts!!! :)

 

dcgd4j.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, petaQ said:

Canadian humor? 

 

Have you ever been there? Soviet era U.S.S.R. has nicer architecture. Dress shoes with sweatpants and mullets is considered formal wear. 

 

And you can actually smell sh!t as you cross the bridge at the southern city limits. 

 

Nice place to visit is you enjoy being stabbed though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FC4L said:

 

Have you ever been there? Soviet era U.S.S.R. has nicer architecture. Dress shoes with sweatpants and mullets is considered formal wear. 

 

And you can actually smell sh!t as you cross the bridge at the southern city limits. 

 

Nice place to visit is you enjoy being stabbed though.

 

Yes, I've been to Canada, and not just tourist trap Niagara Falls. Spent a week driving from Fort Langley, BC to the Alaska-Yukon border. Beautiful countryside, the drive of a lifetime. Can't wait to do it again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, king mark said:

Well, it seems that Williams is still planning concerts a long time in advance, meaning his health must be good

 

Mr. Williams. Would you be so good as to tell me, what is your current medical status?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, petaQ said:

 

Yes, I've been to Canada, and not just tourist trap Niagara Falls. Spent a week driving from Fort Langley, BC to the Alaska-Yukon border. Beautiful countryside, the drive of a lifetime. Can't wait to do it again. 

 

Canada is a pretty BIG place. Second BIGGEST country on the planet. Most of it stunningly beautiful. A few places though, yikes! To the point you don't even have to make jokes about going to "Siberia" when people have actually chosen to go to the real Siberia in favor of sticking around.

 

The lack of a symphony orchestra is a cherry on top of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed the CSO.

 

Quote

If you purchase a subscription of any size, you can add the single ticket on now.  Otherwise, single tickets will go on sale August 11th.

 

Reminder set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed tickets are listed on a few re-sale sites but for the life of me I can not figure out the seating for the Chicago Symphony Center. Tickets are listed as row A but also row A-W. What does that mean? I've also noticed the tickets listed are by row only, no seat number. I'm just very confused. Anyone have any better insight?

 

As this will be a huge event in my life I'm entertaining attending at least 2 performances and if I can sit in the very front row close to center for 1 I'd be in heaven. It's like going to a hockey game. You can sit in 'prime' location seats or you can sit against the glass and have very different and enjoyable experiences!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FC4L said:

I've noticed tickets are listed on a few re-sale sites but for the life of me I can not figure out the seating for the Chicago Symphony Center. Tickets are listed as row A but also row A-W. What does that mean? I've also noticed the tickets listed are by row only, no seat number. I'm just very confused. Anyone have any better insight?

 

As this will be a huge event in my life I'm entertaining attending at least 2 performances and if I can sit in the very front row close to center for 1 I'd be in heaven. It's like going to a hockey game. You can sit in 'prime' location seats or you can sit against the glass and have very different and enjoyable experiences!

 

I'm planning to go too but I'm not risking resale sites haha.

 

Sorry, I have no idea how the seating works - as I said I don't do the resale sites and for the official site you just click the seat location. 

 

I'm definitely waiting to see the programs before I choose which concert to buy tickets to in advance. I will likely try to attend a second performance as well, on a student ticket, which are usually released very close to the concert. Apparently in 2013 the programs were a little different from night to night.

 

I too am debating which seats to pick. I've only ever really been in the gallery there, but obviously I want to sit somewhere on the main floor for this so I can be close to JW. On the other hand, if you sit too close it seems from pictures I've seen that you can't really see the orchestra, which would stink! So maybe like halfway up the floor, in the middle, or something, even though those are more expensive, and you wouldn't quite have the "right next to the glass feeling" as you said. 

 

I wonder if the seats behind the stage will be open for this? In the past I think they've put up a movie screen so probably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Will said:

 

I'm planning to go too but I'm not risking resale sites haha.

 

Sorry, I have no idea how the seating works - as I said I don't do the resale sites and for the official site you just click the seat location. 

 

I'm definitely waiting to see the programs before I choose which concert to buy tickets to in advance. I will likely try to attend a second performance as well, on a student ticket, which are usually released very close to the concert. Apparently in 2013 the programs were a little different from night to night.

 

I too am debating which seats to pick. I've only ever really been in the gallery there, but obviously I want to sit somewhere on the main floor for this so I can be close to JW. On the other hand, if you sit too close it seems from pictures I've seen that you can't really see the orchestra, which would stink! So maybe like halfway up the floor, in the middle, or something, even though those are more expensive, and you wouldn't quite have the "right next to the glass feeling" as you said. 

 

I wonder if the seats behind the stage will be open for this? In the past I think they've put up a movie screen so probably not.

 

Yeah like I said there's pro's and con's to different seating locations just like for Hockey or most sports. Basketball center court side will always be the best but for hockey they suck being behind the penalty or player's boxes.

 

Sitting front row for this sort of performance means you are as close to "the man" as possible, but you won't see and might even have a bit of trouble hearing some of the orchestra. Generally those seats are actually cheaper than several rows back. For Star Wars in concert though I was in the middle of the 3rd row and it was pretty awesome but also a difference sort of venue and performance.

 

I have no issue with re-sale sites if they have seats I'd like and the mark-up isn't ridiculous. For the Hollywood Bowl concerts Ticketmaster won't have much that's any good plus they still add all their own processing fees on top of the ticket anyways so the savings may be as minimal as the selection. Just wish I could see a proper seating chart of the Chicago Symphony Center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've sat in the lower balcony, the upper balcony, and the gallery at Symphony Center, and I love them all.  For JW in 2013, I was about as far back in the gallery as one can be (two or three rows from the back), and I still had an unobstructed view.  I was grateful for the binoculars I brought, though.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I was in the second row of the gallery for Gershwin, and the view was spectacular (if a bit vertigo-inducing).  I've never been on the main floor, but frankly it doesn't appeal to me.  There's no way you can see as much from there as you can from up high, and it costs more.  I would much rather hear the music better and be able to see all parts of the orchestra than be physically close to the conductor, but that's just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, igger6 said:

I've never been on the main floor, but frankly it doesn't appeal to me.  There's no way you can see as much from there as you can from up high, and it costs more.

 

Well, it does cost more than the gallery of course. Not sure about the upper balcony. But I think it might actually be cheaper than the lower balcony (which I think are considered the best - and thus most expensive - seats - well, the box seats might be more expensive, I dunno ... but other than that). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found seating information for the main floor at least.

 

Rows are A to W, front to back.

 

Seats in the center are 1xx starting stage right to stage left. So row A 101 is the front row isle seat at stage right. and row A 116 is the front row isle at stage left. There are 16 seats in the middle from row A to T and U, V, and W narrow. Seats row A 8/9 would be front row dead center.

 

The stage left side has EVEN numbered seats starting a 2 on the center isle and climbing to the wall. The stage right side has ODD numbered seats starting at 1 on the center isle and climbing to the wall. The sides go out 11 seats then clinb and fall depending on the row as you go up the rows to V. There are no seats in row W on the sides.

 

For reference, small chart below

 

                                                                                                                          STAGE

 

Row A                        13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE   101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12

Row B                   15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14

Row C              17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16

Row D         19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18

Row E    21 19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20

Row F    21 19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20

Row G   21 19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20

Row H   21 19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20

Row I     21 19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20

 

The balconies are all the same except there are 4 sections with a center isle. From center to stage left seats numbers climb with ODD numbers and from center to stage right they climb with EVEN numbers. 

 

example:     13 11 9 7 5 3 1  ISLE  113 111 109 107 105 103 101  ISLE  102 104 106 108 110 112  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12

 

Hope that helps those wondering about seating selections.

 

Now on the re-sale sites there are tickets listed for row A but no specific seat numbers. This is puzzling to me so I think I will contact the CSC to find out why this may be. 

Also, a general idea of the different pricing for seats based on location. Note! This is NOT the actual pricing for the JW concerts but gives an idea of which ares are more "desirable" and therefore will cost more.

 

5c528e25e1fdeaf9d8160dc24dbf4d60.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FC4L said:

Found seating information for the main floor at least.

 

Rows are A to W, front to back.

 

Seats in the center are 1xx starting stage right to stage left. So row A 101 is the front row isle seat at stage right. and row A 116 is the front row isle at stage left. There are 16 seats in the middle from row A to T and U, V, and W narrow. Seats row A 8/9 would be front row dead center.

 

The stage left side has EVEN numbered seats starting a 2 on the center isle and climbing to the wall. The stage right side has ODD numbered seats starting at 1 on the center isle and climbing to the wall. The sides go out 11 seats then clinb and fall depending on the row as you go up the rows to V. There are no seats in row W on the sides.

 

For reference, small chart below

 

                                                                                                                          STAGE

 

Row A                        13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE   101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12

Row B                   15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14

Row C              17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16

Row D         19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18

Row E    21 19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20

Row F    21 19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20

Row G   21 19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20

Row H   21 19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20

Row I     21 19 17 15 13 11 9 7 5 3 1   ISLE  101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20

 

The balconies are all the same except there are 4 sections with a center isle. From center to stage left seats numbers climb with ODD numbers and from center to stage right they climb with EVEN numbers. 

 

example:     13 11 9 7 5 3 1  ISLE  113 111 109 107 105 103 101  ISLE  102 104 106 108 110 112  ISLE  2 4 6 8 10 12

 

Hope that helps those wondering about seating selections.

 

Now on the re-sale sites there are tickets listed for row A but no specific seat numbers. This is puzzling to me so I think I will contact the CSC to find out why this may be. 

Also, a general idea of the different pricing for seats based on location. Note! This is NOT the actual pricing for the JW concerts but gives an idea of which ares are more "desirable" and therefore will cost more.

 

5c528e25e1fdeaf9d8160dc24dbf4d60.png

I have had the opportunity to hear JW with the CSO before.  I had tickets in the dark purple/$38 section.  They were actually excellent seats given how the balcony hangs close to the main stage.  If you are financially strapped, I would suggest those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now