Game Of Thrones Showrunners tackle Star Wars.

:lol2:

The cancelled prequel was the one with Naomi Watts. It would have focused on the creation of the White Walkers and the first Long Night.

The actual greenlit prequel is going to be about the House Targaryen and their conquest and rule over Westeros.

2 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Since Benioff & Weiss are out, I take it Kevin Feige's Star Wars film will move forward for the 2022 release date?

23 hours ago, Jay said:

So does this basically guarantee the movie Disney slotted for December 2022 is Rian Johnson's first trilogy movie, or is it still possible it could be something else?

23 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Kevin Feige’s thing could happen sooner rather than later. Other than that maybe they end up releasing something non-SW there.

Gasp!  New development!

Apparently, D&D have actually been removed from their Star Wars project since May this year, before their Netflix deal.  The decision was made after the final episode of Thrones aired.

On a Patreon-only episode of The Storm podcast (formerly Storm of Spoilers) Joanna Robinson (primary GoT reporter for Vanity Fair, also covers Star Wars and Marvel) reported that the decision to remove B and W was made in May, before the Netflix deal. She says (according to Disney sources) that it was a “soft” removal and was not announced in order to allow B and W to shop their services elsewhere. She suggested that B and W’s comments about GoT last weekend at an event in Austin may have sped up the announcement.

ALSO, her sources have told her that Feige will be reporting directly to Iger on his Star Wars project, not to Kathleen Kennedy. Apparently, Disney has its eye on Feige to steady the franchise. However, she said that does not necessarily mean that KK is being fired, and Feige’s role may be in a consulting capacity.

She did not seem to have a clear idea of what was next for the films...

Very interesting stuff.

Edit: No idea what the hell happened with those ampersands.

Edit 2: Since people keep asking, she said the decision was made after the final episode of GoT, after Iger had made his announcement about the next film.

And another comment further down the thread

Okay, listened to this podcast, and some clarifying points:

May 14th - Joanna's date for Iger's announcement of the trilogy "being a go, and this is the date for it, it's the first film, etc".

May 19th - series finale

Removed from the franchise over the summer (not necessarily in May)

Joanna speculates this may also be because Disney is more focused on launching their TV.

She believes it was a soft firing and that is why the GOT guys were able to shop around in the first place.

Joanna speculates that why the news itself is coming out now may be due to the panel over the weekend. This is due to the timing, not any ruminations from her source. Others on podcast speculate that it would read as good PR.

Robinson's comments about Feige do seem to match what I speculated, which is that given who Feige is and given what deals he is making across the industry, he is being treated equal to KK in terms of the chain of command on his film (read: not the company). To the extent that he is being viewed as someone who could right the ship, it is about the PR move in terms of LFL's "missteps". This is when she separates it from the notion that KK is getting fired or overlooked or anything. It seems to be about the spin, and on a personal note, it is true that bringing aboard a "hitmaker" like Feige is at least an equivalent exchange if you're then going to fire another party.

Side note: Bob Iger really does suck

Jason I’m Making Star Wars is suggestion it’s a fight between Disney and Netflix

Jason has been very accurate the last few years so I’m inclined to believe what he has 

The Reddit post was deleted at the request of the Vanity Fair reporters who hosts that podcast.  They also pulled the podcast episode.

Seems like she’s just trying to stay out of trouble, not denying what she originally said.

Even good directors are entitled to bad movies every now and again!  Some would argue that Johnson’s was TLJ, even though that movie was good as hell. I’d argue that his bad movie was Looper.

I’ve liked his other movies and obviously his work on Breaking Bad.  Apparently Knives Out is excellent.

6 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Rian Johnson directed Ozymandias, the only thing on IMDb that has a collective user rating of 10.0 that I know of. That's pretty impressive.

I’m surprised it hasn’t been spammed with 1 votes by now. How can self-respecting Star Wars fans let that stand?? 

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Looper’s alright

The first half, that is. 

6 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Can't wait to see Knives Out!

Those who have seen it can't believe how good it is, which is a totally different reaction compared to TLJ.

eb8bbca861502b736553e3b5ea716f7fadefb311

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

Even good directors are entitled to bad movies every now and again!  

Indeed: David Fincher's Alien 3.

14 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I’m surprised it hasn’t been spammed with 1 votes by now. How can self-respecting Star Wars fans let that stand?? 

I was thinking the same thing! Maybe IMDb's silently cracked down on that and not taking 1 votes seriously?

On 10/31/2019 at 7:45 AM, Alexcremers said:

Never made to the end of that movie...

Asteroid gets blown up, by Willis, who sacrifices himself; Afleck and dick-magnet get hitched; big rememberence service; cue soppy song, by Aerosmith.

Happy to help :)

It's a decent guilty pleasure flick with a good cast and lots of memorable lines. The asteroid scenes start to drag a bit, but the part where Bruce Willis puts Ben Affleck back on the ship and says he loves him always gets me for some reason.

On 10/30/2019 at 11:38 AM, Disco Stu said:

Nobody knows.  They delayed TROS from May to December, so it's not like they absolutely *have* to hold themselves to that release date.

Disney loves keeping a prime spot to themselves -- and it's only if a major title is delayed (or absorbing a rival studio like 20th Century Fox) will they give up a pre-Christmas Friday. There's still plenty of time for Disney to fast-track the Feige SW film for 2022, it's still three years away! 

Plus it's highly likely Avatar 2 gets delayed one year and takes the 2022 SW slot, with Disney moving another property to that Dec 2021 slot. I'd bet money that Indy 5 has already been pencilled in for a delay, considering it's stuck in development hell with constantly changing screenwriters and the release date is only 20 months away.

They were meant to start shooting at Pinewood next April. If that happens I'll eat my fedora.

• 4 years later...

Benioff and Weiss went on a podcast and spoke about their canceled Star Wars deal a bit

Let's see...

• Rian Johnson trilogy;
  • Benioff & Weiss trilogy;
  • Josh Trank's Boba Fett movie (I remember when that was supposed to be released in May 2020... lol);
  • Kevin Feige's movie;
  • Damon Lindelof's movie (or trilogy, I dunno);
  • A Jabba the Hut movie written by David Goyer and directed by Guillermo Del Toro (I don't remember this being mentioned here in JWFan, but GDT did talk about it on Twitter before, of course, being cancelled)
  • Rangers of the New Republic, starring controversial star Gina Carano;
  • J.D. Dillard's mystery movie, potentially based on the TIE Fighters games;

May or may not still happen at some point in the future:

• Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron;
  • James Mangold's Dawn of the Jedi
  • And I guess the Johnson trilogy hasn't been officially cancelled...

Have I forgot anything?

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Taika Waititi

Oh right! That one being cancelled is honestly cause for celebration. Love & Thunder showed that Waititi shouldn't be anywhere near big budget franchises.

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Rey Skywalker

That one theoretically has a release date... But so did Trank's Boba Fett back in the day lol

Did anybody actually watch the video I posted?

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Let's see...

• Rian Johnson trilogy;
  • Benioff & Weiss trilogy;
  • Josh Trank's Boba Fett movie (I remember when that was supposed to be released in May 2020... lol);
  • Kevin Feige's movie;
  • Damon Lindelof's movie (or trilogy, I dunno);
  • A Jabba the Hut movie written by David Goyer and directed by Guillermo Del Toro (I don't remember this being mentioned here in JWFan, but GDT did talk about it on Twitter before, of course, being cancelled)
  • Rangers of the New Republic, starring controversial star Gina Carano;
  • J.D. Dillard's mystery movie, potentially based on the TIE Fighters games;

May or may not still happen at some point in the future:

• Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron;
  • James Mangold's Dawn of the Jedi
  • And I guess the Johnson trilogy hasn't been officially cancelled...

Have I forgot anything?

What about the Lando movie?