The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is kind of strange that the SW:SE get re-released twice and Indy gets nothing at all. Is this really Paramount's fault and not Lucasfilm?

Well back around the time film music message boards were starting somebody mentioned that Warner Bros. rights to Last Crusade would expire around 1999 and that would free up all three scores to be re-issued together.

Now how much of that is true, plus it was at least 10 years ago, I have no idea. But LC's score was released thru Warner Bros. records. Both Raiders and TOD were on the old Polydor label to include the original CDs.

I have no idea if Lucasfilm has the complete rights to all the music or if Paramount has any say since they distributed the film.

Seeing as Paramount is now owned by CBS, maybe 60 Minutes can do a segment on it.

It is kind of strange that the SW:SE get re-released twice and Indy gets nothing at all. Is this really Paramount's fault and not Lucasfilm?

Well back around the time film music message boards were starting somebody mentioned that Warner Bros. rights to Last Crusade would expire around 1999 and that would free up all three scores to be re-issued together.

Now how much of that is true, plus it was at least 10 years ago, I have no idea. But LC's score was released thru Warner Bros. records. Both Raiders and TOD were on the old Polydor label to include the original CDs.

I have no idea if Lucasfilm has the complete rights to all the music or if Paramount has any say since they distributed the film.

The raiders reissue is under license from Lucasfilm, and the copyright is lucasfilms too.

That's interesting.

We can dream. Doesn't Intrada have a big release coming this month?

Yep. It's a release by Doug's favorite film composer (or one of the tops), and this marks the first result of a new "open door" with a previously hard to deal with company. The top two contenders in speculation have been Disney and Paramount.

Seeing as Paramount is now owned by CBS, maybe 60 Minutes can do a segment on it.

Maybe Mike Wallace would come out of retirement for it. Surely, it would be the most important story he's seen in his 39 billion years on the show.

I really hope the originals will be getting complete releases. I have all the soundtracks, so a plain re-release would be pretty useless to me.

Mike Wallace: [after watching a preview of the "60 Minutes" John Williams Indiana Jones interview that has been edited] Where's the rest? Where the hell's the rest?

Mike Wallace: [to Paramount exec] You cut it! You cut the guts out of what I SAID!

Exec: It was a time consideration, Mike.

Mike Wallace: Time? Bullsh*t! You corporate lackey! Who told you your incompetent little fingers had the requisite skills to edit me! I'm trying to band-aid a situation, here, and you're too dim to...We work in the same corporation doesn't mean we work in the same corporation. What are you gonna do now? You gonna finesse me? I've been in this profession THIRTY NINE BILLION F**KING YEARS! You and the people you work for are destroying the most-respected, the highest-rated, the most-profitable message board on this internet!

If you check the thread over at FSM, Roger Feigelson from Intrada confirms Ricard's news on the front page.

That probably cancels theories of Intrada doing expanded releases since Concord will be releasing the first 3 scores.

If you check the thread over at FSM, Roger Feigelson from Intrada confirms Ricard's news on the front page.

That probably cancels theories of Intrada doing expanded releases since Concord will be releasing the first 3 scores.

releasing its not the same as re-releasing :P

Good man. Now he needs to get back on the horn with Concorde and find out what specifically they're doing with the first three scores.

Concord.

:P

Well whether the first original three are reissues of the OST's or expanded editions I will still get them. I don't own any of the Indy scores on CD. Plus we all know that the old versions of TOD are going for a horrific price on ebay and the Amazon Market place. So at least with Concord releasing them they'll be a hell of a lot more affordable for those who have never boughten them before.

It'll be interesting to see what big score that Intrada will release on the 8th.

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that any new release that is incomplete is almost certainly going to just push complete releases even further off. If a complete release could've happened in the space of a year or two, I say just wait for the complete scores and be done with it.

I think we'd better hang on to out crummy boots for the forceable future

K.M.Already dreading the Cristal Skull unreleased cues

It seems about all we can do at this point is hope that Lucasfilm and Paramount aren't dumb enough to pass up the opportunity to put out definitive releases of these scores. It seems like the numbers should indicate that complete scores sell: Alien, The Blue Box, LOTR...Come on.

It seems about all we can do at this point is hope that Lucasfilm and Paramount aren't dumb enough to pass up the opportunity to put out definitive releases of these scores. It seems like the numbers should indicate that complete scores sell: Alien, The Blue Box, LOTR...Come on.

to small select audiences that don't offer much profit

I would think satisfying the audience and receiving small profit would be better than ticking them off and getting nothing. (Of course, there would be some profit from an OST, but how much greater than a complete release...?)

I'm not worried about the CD release of Crystal Skull, provided the soundtrack release has all the good music and not leave room for an expanded re-release.

I'm really aching for a legit release of ToD in circulation, be it either re-release or expanded release (the latter is preferrable). I just want an inexpensive copy sometime this year.

And I don't think an expanded release of Raiders is out of the question. That was performed by the LSO, hence no reuse fees.

I'm not worried about the CD release of Crystal Skull, provided the soundtrack release has all the good music and not leave room for an expanded re-release.

I'm fine with just re-releases. I only own The Last Crusade and a Silva Screen copy of Raiders which looks like I could have made better myself.

Oh God that Silva Screen disc was awful. You still have it? You haven't taken up skeet shooting just in order to have the orgasmic experience of watching it shatter from your aim?

Hey, you may be right and I'll be wrong. We'll just have to see when the film and soundtrack come out.

... I'm still awaiting an expanded re-release of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, so you're right after all.

I'm fine with just re-releases. I only own The Last Crusade and a Silva Screen copy of Raiders which looks like I could have made better myself.

Oh God that Silva Screen disc was awful. You still have it? You haven't taken up skeet shooting just in order to have the orgasmic experience of watching it shatter from your aim?

Yeah, I still got it. Listing on eBay said brand new. First of all it wasn't new, and it looked like it was home made. Loose CD label stuck on with glue, crooked cuts, crappy photo paper insert that folds open to nothing.

Henry's right on this one. There is no freakin' way they're going to put all of the desirable music on a single-disc OST. Not gonna happen. And if Williams really pulls through and makes this on par with any of the other Indy scores, pretty much every cue is going to have something good in it.

Since they've released the release date for the soundtrack, does this mean the soundtrack is all finished? Have they selected and edited all the cues going on it yet? Or is that still a work in progress?

Concord is releasing all the old Indy scores? Well, I hope that when they remaster these scores, the compression will be so hard that the new ones won't devaluate the old ones.

Alex

Ricard is the man! again he proves the sceptics (me) wrong.

It is surprising though that a label like Concord (I never even thought of the bootleg label though) would release the most anticipated score of 2008 rather than DreamWorks or Sony or something. Perhaps that's not so bad, taking into account Sony's reputation with the Star Wars scores.

Now if Ricard could make complete releases of the original scores happen :huh:

Would it help if we all wrote to Concord?

Would it help if we all wrote to Concord?

That's what I was thinking. The discs (whatever's on them) are probably all ready to go anyway, but it wouldn't hurt to express our interest in complete scores.

Only problem is, I can't honestly say I wouldn't be interested in straight re-releases of Raiders and TOD, shame as it would be to release them like that.

Ozzel - still thinking this needs a dedicated thread but is too lazy to make one

Ugh, is it really that hard, if they're going to all this trouble, just to make them complete score releases? This is seriously lame. I thought Spielberg would've intervened on this one...

Ugh, is it really that hard, if they're going to all this trouble, just to make them complete score releases? This is seriously lame. I thought Spielberg would've intervened on this one...

Yeah it is really that hard, not impossible, but not as simple as you think.

Michael Matessino talked about the difficulties involved in a recent interview about the Superman Box.

I forget the specifics, but perhaps someone with a better memory than mine could remember which interview that was discussed.

I'm pretty sure even a straight re-release involves complex re-issue rights with musicians and the like. If they're going to that much trouble they should go the whole hog.

It's almost certainly a work in progress. Four words: I Am the Senate.

:huh:

indy4 - expecting some Lucas/editing bashing

In the time preceding the release of the ROTS soundtrack, Best Buy posted a track list that included "I Am the Senate." That track is nowhere to be found on the OST.

And it's quite an elaborate cue as well, scoring a pivotal moment in the film, unfortunately mixed low and buried under sound effects in the final film.

I Am the Senate would have been a much better choice than, say, Palpatine's Teachings, and even some of the other cues on the OST. But then again, all three Star Wars soundtracks featured some really strange choices, in terms of what's on and what's not.

I concocted my own Episode III single-disc soundtrack, which better captures the music in film and the movie as a whole. It includes Goodbye Old Friend, Revisiting Padme, most of the music from the Upatau sequences, The Boy Continue, the extended versions of Lament and Anakin's Dark Deeds, I Am The Senate, the Complete Finale, and the "Bail's Escape / Swimming / Droids / News of the Attack" cue (I'm not sure of the specific title of it. The only cue I wish I had on it is Yoda's Farewell, but that's a relatively short piece anyway.

Re: the KOTS soundtrack, I wonder if the label will deliver a different --perhaps better-- interpretation of the film's score rather than the bigger record labels. I mean, Babel received a 2-CD release for crying out loud! I'm not saying this film will or should get a double-disc release, but it may signify a different take on an epic Williams score than we've seen in recent years. I wonder if that'll have any impact given that most of the same editors and producers will be working on it.

Ted