Are you a John Williams completist?

robthehand

How "completist" are you?  

58 members have voted

1. 1.

• I buy (or try to buy) every CD, even direct reissues.
    • I (want to) get every score/piece, but not necessarily every release.
    • I buy the ones I really want - and that's not all of them.
    • Not at all completist; I only buy a few Williams CDs.

I think the second option applies to me. For example, I have the newer releases of Jane Eyre and The Witches of Eastwick, but I'm not bothered about getting the old ones.

In most cases, I'll only go for the most complete release, unless the arrangement of the original album(s) particularly appeals to me (this is the case with Star Wars).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy any score or album that contains music composed by Williams.

I don't buy re-issues unless there is additional music or the sound is improved on it.

I do have about 10 of the Boston Pops cds but those all feature Williams' music. Once the expanded Star Wars scores came out I got rid of my Gerhardt CDs.

I'm also not that big on Williams' scores that he adapted only but I do have Mr. Chips on my "To get list".

I'm not even remotely a completist. That's not because I don't like Williams' music (why else would I be here?!?) but I usually get exposed to a score by watching the film it's used in. Sadly, I own very few Williams scores actually. (Star Wars Anthology, 2004 Rereleases, Episodes I-III, E.T. 20th Anniversary, Collector's Edition of Close Encounters, Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Superman: The Movie, Raiders, Temple of Doom, The Last Crusade and that's it) I'm not in the financial state to go out and get scores just because I like the composer, otherwise I'd probably have a lot more of everyone I like, so for now I'll have to stick to this. Oh, and grabbing as many CDs I can find when I go to the library.

I'm interested in his music, not in every single release or cue possible. But I like to listen to different recordings (of entire scores). Don't buy many compilations and I'm not obsessed with chronological cue lists.

Karol

"I buy the ones I really want "(to listen).-

When I was young and beautiful , I bought

everything concerning JW but soon realizing, I very seldom listen to especially very early stuff.

Nowdays,as a senior ,I'm not buying any cds just for decorate my bedroom.

(I'm missing few "modern" albums like Spacecamp(never even heard) and Witches cd (I got LP only))

I used to be a completist, but I sold a lot of my pre-1975 Williams CDs and Williams/BPO CDs last year because I never listened to them and I was saving for a house and I got some good $$$ for them. Plus I still have copies of it all, even though I still don't listen to them. I do continue to buy every new Williams score though because my post-1975 Williams is still pretty much complete.

Jeff

I started collecting when Jurassic Park came out and since then I've aquired the most famous (best) of the Williams catalogue. Basically his late 70s and '80s stuff. Sort of ironic since JP only came out in '93. I used to avidly collect his cd's mainly because I loved the main theme, or themes. That got me into the incidental cue side, but sadly, since I aquired the internet and LimeWire I haven't purchased any Williams cd's since Harry Potter 1 and AOTC.

I tend to just download the themes/cues I like thesedays, but thats not very many. Its not that I wouldn't buy a cd from a store anymore, but because I've not heard a complete Williams score which I feel is worthy of my cash lately. Apart from the odd theme or cue I kinda like, there is nothing he's done for a while now which would make want to own the original album.

Its like Goldsmith's Capricorn One soundtrack - I quite like the main theme, but no way would I fork out for the album, just for that one track.

I went with option 3 because want most Williams scores, but there are a few that I can live without. There are a few scores that I would be considered a completist with (Hook) but for the most part, I'm content with the OST's.

I chose number three as well, only because I don't really have the time/energy/disposable income to spend hunting for every single Williams release. I would if I could, but I can't, so why try, heh.

I have 130 legal official John Williams c.d. albums(I count 2 c.d. albums as one) in my c.d. rack,that includes re-recordings,compilations and Boston Pops.

The rest is bootlegs and a few cdr's of official albums I couldn't get.I don't display those in my c.d. rack.

K.M.

The second option. I am not going to buy every rerelease of a score (best examples the OT SW scores) but I try to get every JW score.

I have 130 legal official  John Williams c.d. albums(I count 2 c.d. albums as one) in my c.d. rack,that includes re-recordings,compilations and Boston Pops.

The rest is bootlegs and a few cdr's of official albums I couldn't get.I don't display those in my c.d. rack.

K.M.

Why not?

Option 2 mostly. I'll only buy new issues if they have unreleased music, I'm still not much interested in either re-recordings or compilations.

EDIT- I forgot, I suppose this is a good place to mention again that I am a total anal completist when it comes to complete scores, at least my favorites.

I chose the 3rd option. I have a lot of JW CD's (soundtracks, Pops albums, compilations - I lost count somewhere along the way), but I don't feel the need to own every single one he's put out, or every single bootleg. In fact, the only expanded score that I have is the 3-disc Hook. But when I do shop for soundtracks, I tend to buy only JW albums, unless a particular score by another composer just happens to really, REALLY appeal to me (very rare that this happens).

I have 130 legal official  John Williams c.d. albums(I count 2 c.d. albums as one) in my c.d. rack,that includes re-recordings,compilations and Boston Pops.

K.M.

Why not?

Because of lack of space and laziness to print covers.I just put the cdr's in c.d. wallets.everything is also ripped to my computer

K.M.

I voted for the last option. For now I only have all 6 Star Wars scores, Superman and Home Alone and Home Alone 2 (Deluxe 2-CD Edition) by Williams.

When the time comes though I'll be adding the OST for Home Alone 2 E.T. both the original OST and 20th Anniversary Edition, both volumes for the Spielberg / Williams Collabration sets, and the 40 Years Of Film Music 2-CD set. I'll also be re-adding: Hook, Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

Even with those I'm not really a Williams completist.

Option 4.

Williams hasn't been my favourite composer for a while (JNH took over if you must know), so I only tend to buy my absolute favourites, and I recently had a spring clean on my computer collection to get rid of stuff I don't listen to. Nearly every composer was hit in that though (except, curiously, JNH and T. Newman).

That's all I'm really going to get of Williams anyways.  Williams isn't my favorite composer.  Yes I like some of his music but again he's not my favorite one...

And yet you already made 1295 posts here.

... and I skipped almost every one of them.

Alex

I'm fairly obsessive, but I don't buy every re-release or re-recording. I try to get most of his original scores though. Like most people, I have every score he's done in the last 20 years, but after that it's more scattered, but I have the "important" ones and a few rares ones.

Ted

Option 2, althought I'm not really a fan of the Johnny era.

To be exact, I buy everything I can and/or I'm interested for, and download the bootlegs or the older stuff not anymore available for purchasing.

But I'm an extreme completist of the Indiana Jones scores, though somehow I don't think this is something so brand new to read.