Your Ultimate John Williams Fanboy Moment.

Ollie

Not exactly a fanboy moment, but I just walked by a neighbor's apartment and heard a noise inside. I realized they were watching Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - not because I recognized the voices, not because it was some huge statement of Hedwig's theme, but because I recognized "Hagrid Plays the Flute."

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Mr. Williams conducted Flying a few years ago with the Boston Pops. I was sitting with a bunch of stiffs sipping champagne in the expensive seats right in front of the stage. I was wearing a Temple of Doom t-shirt with Short Round on it, which drew all kinds of weird looks from the musicians. Anyway, I was in tears as they did the end of The Departure. I don't know, I've done tons of geeky things when it comes to JW, but tearing up in an Indiana Jones t-shirt in Boston Symphony Hall a few feet from JW amid a sea of drunken yuppies stays with me.

Not exactly a fanboy moment, but I just walked by a neighbor's apartment and heard a noise inside. I realized they were watching Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - not because I recognized the voices, not because it was some huge statement of Hedwig's theme, but because I recognized "Hagrid Plays the Flute."

I recognise movies my brother's watching by the smallest sliver of music. If I walk past his room and hear something loud with music, I'm compelled to pause for a few seconds and see if I can name the film just from the music.

And The UK Apprentice show uses tracked scores and it's a really nice personal challenge to try to identify what they're using (and just like Top Gear, they can use absolutely anything because the BBC has a blanket licence).

Welcome to the board JGS.

My ultimate fanboy moment was bidding $160 on Ebay fro an original CD of Spacecamp to cheer myself up after a rotten break-up about 10 years ago. I have long since stopped thinking about the girl, but the CD is still a prized posession. Money well spent.

Oh, I have another one: posing for pictures in front of BSO 1, the car that drove Williams to the Boston concerts I attended with Neil, Renovia, and Kevin (diskobolus). We were a little bit in awe of the vehicle.

I would have to agree that weekend was excellent.

Too bad none of you post here anymore.

And The UK Apprentice show uses tracked scores and it's a really nice personal challenge to try to identify what they're using (and just like Top Gear, they can use absolutely anything because the BBC has a blanket licence).

Sometimes I'll be in the family room when my parents are watching some NBC late night specials or whatever. They always use tracked music. I was sitting on my computer and started hearing Michael Clayton and thought I was going crazy. They also used Batman Begins, didn't fit at all.

My ultimate fanboy moment was bidding $160 on Ebay fro an original CD of Spacecamp to cheer myself up after a rotten break-up about 10 years ago. I have long since stopped thinking about the girl, but the CD is still a prized posession. Money well spent.

I remember trying to convince my mother to get me The Poseidon Adventure for my birthday, and that it would count as my Christmas present too. It was going for $200 buy it now on eBay. I'm actually glad I decided against it myself, because she eventually said yes.

Oh, I have another one: posing for pictures in front of BSO 1, the car that drove Williams to the Boston concerts I attended with Neil, Renovia, and Kevin (diskobolus). We were a little bit in awe of the vehicle.

I know it is a shame. I think about the time I spent on this board and none of it was time wasted, it's just that life kinda took over and I'm sure I'm not the only one who had to choose, say, work over posting. I still consider my online friends as good (most better) than my real life friends because days come and days go and we still take the time to say hi to one another. Unfortunately (in my case) real life friends are sometimes fickle and judgemental.

johnwilliams2.jpg

Well, the picture above is only part of the story.

Last Summer, my wife and I spend four weeks (from July 9 to August 7) in the USA. We knew that we wanted to see a lot: the East and West coasts, Las Vegas, The Grand Canyon, Florida, the historic Route 66, etc. It was our intention to rent a car and tour the country. We knew that this trip demanded good planning and preparation.

So in February 2010 we made the first lay-out for our trip: we would start in Miami, move our way up the East coast to Washington and New York, then drive to Chicago where we would start following the historic Route 66 all the way to LA (visiting the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas in between). We would end our trip in San Francisco and from there fly back to Amsterdam.

We had it all figured out, until I realized that of course I would also try to attend a John Williams concert now that I was going to the US! This was perhaps my only chance to see my hero and – in my wildest dreams – maybe even personally get an autograph!

I checked JWFan for possible concert-dates during my stay and there it was: August 3, Tanglewood. This was the only one. I just had to go there.

But the whole travel plan had to be thrown out. In the original plan, around August 3 we would be in LA! So I suggested that we would follow the same plan, but instead of starting in Miami and ending in San Francisco, we would now start in San Francisco and follow the plan in reverse.

Another problem arose: we wanted to spend at least 5 days in Florida. So if we would go to Florida after Tanglewood, we could only spend very little time in Florida as we both needed to be back in Holland August 7.

Damn. I was about to discard the dream of seeing (and possible meeting) John Williams… The Tanglewood date just seemed to conflict endlessly with the travel plans we made.

And then my wife made a huge sacrifice for me: she suggested that we would start planning the trip around the concert. We took August 3 as the basis for our stay in the US and without making any compromises to sites and cities we wanted to see, we planned our trip.

This is how it eventually went down:

We flew to San Francisco where we started our trip. We then drove to LA, Vegas and the Canyon. Then followed the historic Route 66 from Flagstaff all the way to Chicago. Instead of going to New York next (the more logical choice) we took an inland flight to Miami and spend 5 wonderful days in Florida. We then took another inland flight to NYC and arrived there August 1. We rented a car August 3 and drove to Tanglewood. Afterwards we would go to Washington and from there fly back to Amsterdam.

Seeing John Williams was great! I was overcome with a great sense of victory. I remembered telling people about our trip before we left and many found it illogical to take two inland flights. When I told them about the John Williams concert I could see it in their eyes:

This was my ultimate fanboy moment.

At the concert I was lucky enough to actually meet John Williams, talk to him for a minute or so, shake his hand and get his autograph. That was an almost surreal moment for me. But the awkward structure the trip took "just to see John Williams" was more 'fanboyish' IMO.

The four weeks we spend in the US were totally amazing. Attending the concert was definitely a highlight of the trip, and a highlight in my life. ;)

P.S. I often read about members doubting whether they should go to the US and attend a John Williams concert. I say: go for it! :lol:

Welcome to the board JGS.

Thanks - good to be here with like-minded fans. I too scored "SpaceCamp" on ebay about 10 years ago. I wonder if I jacked up your bid - or vice versa : )

One more quick fanboy story. I was outside Symphony Hall last May hoping for a post-concert JW autograph, waiting along with a bunch of other fans. One was a 7 or 8 year old kid wearing an Indiana Jones fedora. Very cool. When the moment came Williams was beating a pretty hasty exit, so I just went in for a quick greeting.

It was only later when I saw the picture my wife took that it appeared I got the handshake - while little Indiana Jones was just left watching. If you're out there somewhere kid, sorry!

post-17906-090739600 1291581011_thumb.jp

I know it is a shame. I think about the time I spent on this board and none of it was time wasted, it's just that life kinda took over and I'm sure I'm not the only one who had to choose, say, work over posting. I still consider my online friends as good (most better) than my real life friends because days come and days go and we still take the time to say hi to one another. Unfortunately (in my case) real life friends are sometimes fickle and judgemental.

I hear you. My participation here has waxed and waned over the years, but I'm still attached to the notion that whenever I visit I'll see some familiar faces. When Ray left, it felt vaguely like the end of an era, because I remember when he and Justin first came on board and established themselves as sort of the vanguard of the newbies.

When Mr. Williams conducted Flying a few years ago with the Boston Pops. I was sitting with a bunch of stiffs sipping champagne in the expensive seats right in front of the stage. I was wearing a Temple of Doom t-shirt with Short Round on it, which drew all kinds of weird looks from the musicians. Anyway, I was in tears as they did the end of The Departure. I don't know, I've done tons of geeky things when it comes to JW, but tearing up in an Indiana Jones t-shirt in Boston Symphony Hall a few feet from JW amid a sea of drunken yuppies stays with me.

Really, really, awesome.

I remember leaving the exit queue for Soarin in Disney World and I stopped because JW music was playing. It was a track from Hook and my parents were wondering why I stopped. I said, "Its John Williams, I gotta listen until its over." They were shocked that I could hear it and instantly pick it out.

I also sat front row at the Boston Pops last year. Those are not good seats but you can't get any closer to JW. I was perhaps 5 feet away, my knees were up against the stage. I swear that he looked directly at me after Adventures on Earth and said "thank you." I turned to my girlfriend at the time and said "did you see that." She agreed that with me. Can't wait to see him again next year. It's great to live in the town where John Williams is the conductor laureate of the local Pops orchestra. I almost take it for granted how often I get to see him.

In Sept. 2007, I attended the Columbus Symphany Orchestra that was being conducted by John Williams himself. Afterwards, my brother and I waited with several others outside of the theater and was able to shake Williams hand and get an autograph. Not much but it was definitely the biggest celeb I've ever met (and was one of the five celebs I'd love to meet: Spielberg, Lucas, Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill being the other).

My wedding party also walked into our reception to the Star Wars disco song, which technically wasn't made by Williams but if he hadn't done the Star Wars theme, that song wouldn't have been made. So...

I remember leaving the exit queue for Soarin in Disney World and I stopped because JW music was playing. It was a track from Hook and my parents were wondering why I stopped. I said, "Its John Williams, I gotta listen until its over." They were shocked that I could hear it and instantly pick it out.

In a similar vein...I was recently at California Adventure, in the restroom across from the original Soarin'. Suddenly, I heard a re-recording of material from SpaceCamp playing in the background loop and recognized it because I'd just received the Intrada re-release. I was rather proud of myself for recognizing such a relatively obscure piece of music, and while I was washing my hands in a theme park, no less.

Hey Roald, that's a great story!

Like you, I've always wanted to do a cross-country car trip in the US (with a few buddies of mine), and hopefully combine it with a Williams concert. So your story is a true inspiration.

Either that or just go to a Hollywood Bowl concert or something separately. It takes 20+ hours to fly from Oslo to LA, though.... :)

I'm envious of those of you who have managed to talk to him in person.

Pretty awesome, Maurizio. 1 Hollywood Bowl performance and 1 very intimate performance when the Maestro received his honorary doctorate, followed by a lovely mail in autograph are as close as I got.

jwauto.jpg

My ultimate JW fanboy moment? here it is:

2080678079_a2d508f08b.jpg

;)

I have a remarkably similar one of these! :)

I vividly remember the frantic run around the block to stop Williams being bundled into his car. And it was bloody cold that night!

Driving to Pittsburgh in 2003 to meet maestro after his concert. It was totally surreal talking to John Williams about his score for Accidental Tourist *(he almost gasped and said "I cannot believe anyone remembers that score) when I presented the CD (original Warner Bros release) to him to sign. Sadly, I have no photo record of it because my friend taking the picture forgot to load the camera with film beforehand. I was actually pretty mad at him for a while.....

also drove to Chicago (stayed at Doug Adams' house for that trip) to see Williams in 2008 with Yo Yo Ma for the CSO concert that featured his Geisha suite. Balcony seats were primo amazing- we could almost read the score on the conductor's podium.

Best John Williams experience though was travelling to Detroit also in 2008 with my wife to watch not only the concert but the rehearsal and luncheon the day before. Seats were amazing and to share the experience with my wife who also enjoys Williams' music was one of the best times ever. She really enjoyed The Cowboys Overture. :)

Driving to Pittsburgh in 2003 to meet maestro after his concert. It was totally surreal talking to John Williams about his score for Accidental Tourist *(he almost gasped and said "I cannot believe anyone remembers that score) when I presented the CD (original Warner Bros release) to him to sign. Sadly, I have no photo record of it because my friend taking the picture forgot to load the camera with film beforehand. I was actually pretty mad at him for a while.....

You still should be!

I would like my bride to walk up the aisle to "Journey To Blofield's Hideaway", and for both of to walk back down the aisle to "Gloria".

BTW: the ONLY name that I would consider for my son, if I'm fortunate to have one, would be John-William.

Ultimate fanboy bit? me and 3 mates went to see/hear J.W. and the LSO, at The Barbican in June, 1982. At the end of "Adventures On Earth", all 4 of us shot out of our seats as if we were fired out of them.

We then looked around to see...everyone else firmly rooted their seats! Then another man looked around himself, and stood up and clapped, giving J.W. a total standing ovation of...4 people. The point is WE DIDN'T CARE, because we wanted to show J.W exactly what his music meant to us.

Mine probably would be when I was in Blockbuster one day and saw they had the 2-CD RCA sets of the Original Trilogy scores for sale. The ones with the laser etched CD's. I asked my dad if he could get them for me and he did. :)

when i listened to Star Wars for the first time and upon hearing princess Leia's theme thought "i don't remember this being in the movie?"

Well got to admit that was years ago shortly after they were released. I have since bought them again as they ended up being ruined. Back then I didn't really care enough about my CD's to take care of them like I do today. I still have not bought all the ones I had.

Mine probably would be when I was in Blockbuster one day and saw they had the 2-CD RCA sets of the Original Trilogy scores for sale. The ones with the laser etched CD's. I asked my dad if he could get them for me and he did. :)

My dad drove 50 miles to buy me the Anthology in 1995 for Christmas. That kicked off an obsession that has not abated.

Dads can be so awesome sometimes.

Correct!

It's one of many pencils used by Williams to write the score for Star Wars.

Great, a thing of beauty indeed. For a minute Jim, I thought you'd managed to secure one of your own!

I'd love to see it in the 'flesh' so to speak :yes: Hmm,I wonder what cues were wrote with it??

How can it be confirmed that he did in fact use that pencil to write Star Wars?

There's a signed note from Williams to the original owner (which I completely failed to photograph - I just took stupid photos like this).