Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (OFFICIAL thread)

Erik Woods

CRUSADETRACKS.gif

Alas, something is amiss with Crusade. Somewhere, a 1:06 of this will not make the final soundtrack. It could be the unused music in No Ticket, but it could be that 'Marcus is Captured/To Berlin' does not contain the 'Blasphemy/Road to Berlin' cue. That brings it to 89:59, so I daresay people should get used to this now. It's just the music when Marcus gets captured and taken to Berlin, not when Indy & Henry proceed to Berlin.

Thus I present the predicted track times and CD durations:

TEMPLE OF DOOM

tracktimesDOOM.gif

LAST CRUSADE

tracktimesCRUSADE.gif

If that's true, then there will be a maximum of 4 cues I end up keeping from the Last Crusade boot - the Packet/Inscription cues, Searching for Henry Jones and Professor Jones is Shot.

It would be nice to have the first cue given the respite it offers, and the nice 'B' theme rendition, and the second has a nice, full Grail theme rendition.

The other two are more dissonant cues which I guess I could live without, but given the fiddling with incorporating disc 5 into the set, it might as well have these missing cues as well.

BTW, one cue you forgot is the film version (1.45) of Keeping Up With the Joneses. The album has a bit of it at the end I think but it still has a slightly more developed version of the scherzo, so I think I'll keep that too.

Given all of this and the reuse fees situation, I think there's no question that Laurent got the selections spot on - no major highlights missing at all, and I've never even noticed the music during the still unreleased portions of Temple.

Roll on 17th Nov!

This film version 'Keeping up with the Joneses' talk gives me a headache. From what I can tell, most of the music in the film is tracked from other cues, except the lovely ending which seques into the establishing shot of Qatar.

Hmm, maybe the faster paced scherzo is tracked from that cue just before they escape the castle. I'll have to give this section a closer listen.

But boots don't usually contain tracked versions of cues do they? Especially not one that contains unused pieces.

It seems an alternate for me.

I think they have left out some cues on this set not because the money they would have had to pay, but to warrant the purchase from our part of a second release of the complete scores containing all the missing bits.

I'm happy as long as that is the idea...

But i hate to buy several versions of the same soundtrack....

Ummm nov 17th???

what happpened to the original release date?????

Ummm nov 17th???

what happpened to the original release date?????

November 11th is still the release date but it seems that the date varies with European retailers.

For example the official release date at Amazon.uk is 17th and Amazon.de it's 18th and CDON a Scandinavian retailer has 24th.

I also think the re-use fee money has anything to do with the cues still unreleased,although I don't think we'll be getting complete scores down the line.

Has anyone been able to confirm what's included in the "Short Round Helps" cue? Is that a combination of the music from the end of the Indy's fight with the big fella and the beginning of the mine car sequence, i.e. whem Short Round and Willie get into the mine car and Indy swings down?

Most other cues are pretty clear in terms of content, but I've been concerned about this bit of music for a while.

Ted

well me too.

But It's one continuous cue and it seems hard to just end it in the middle edit wise . Plus why would Bouzereau shorten the best unreleased music in all 3 movies ,he was spot on on the stuff to leave out.

But until i see track times it remains my main concern also

I think they have left out some cues on this set not because the money they would have had to pay, but to warrant the purchase from our part of a second release of the complete scores containing all the missing bits.

By this point I don't care either way. We've got almost the whole thing this time and the music that's still missing probably would struggle to sell itself to me as an extra disc, let alone buying the whole thing again complete.

I only started listening to the LC boot fairly recently, and I noticed that the unreleased sections are those I barely noticed were there, with the odd exception.

They probably left music off because either there was no room, John Williams was involved or Bouzereau felt the scores were well represented by what he had.

There's no guarantee we will see another release of these.

Complete scores are all that can be asked for. What we are getting is very nice, and better than nothing during 25 years.

I mean if complete releases were very rare, yes expanded released would be all that could be asked for. But with so many complete scores being released each year, i think we can be happy and grateful with this release, but not remain comtempted and do not ask for more.

Man, I'm so happy with this release. We are getting more music then I ever dreamed of. And this in about a month. I really didn't exepted this happen before 10 years. I sure won't crying because a second is left here and another there. It's all about the music. Some or better the most we get, and some don't. So I'm just happy about what we get, and I'm very happy that I can think so. Otherwise it would be stress for me I think.

Did people thought the same when the Anhtology was released?

I don't know, there really weren't any message boards around that time.

Star Wars is completely different than IJ. The music is much more popular amongst the public than IJ is.

I don't think scores ever got the deluxe/remastered/expanded/complete treatment prior to the Star Wars Anthology, or if they did it was extremely rare. I remember noticing certain pieces being left off of the anthology, like the bit after Luke purchases the droids, superstructure chase from ROTJ and not really caring, focusing instead on the wealth of previously unreleased and previously unavailable on CD (ESB) stuff I now had. I've been comparing the tracklist to the score breakdowns and I'm not at all concerned about the cues seemingly left off, though we don't know for certain.

Two things from Temple of Doom will make me 100% satisfied. "Short Round Helps" needs to be all of the music between "Slave Childrens Crusade" and "Mine Car Chase", I don't see why it wouldn't be. According to the complete score analysis it is 4:40 worth of music, which is not that long. "Saving Willie" has to include the music as Short Round breaks his chains and is chased up the ladder, I've always wanted that music.

The complete score analysis has "Deal for the Diamond/Too Much To Drink" combined at 6:20. This should be the two seperate tracks on the new release, "Indy Negotiates" and "Nightclub Brawl". The analysis clocks "Stealing The Stones" at 2:32, which is pretty short. On average, that puts all three of these tracks just below three minutes. That should allow other tracks to be a little longer than average.

Star Wars is completely different than IJ. The music is much more popular amongst the public than IJ is.

I'd disagree with that. The Star Wars music that a majority of "the public" cared about was on the soundtracks. It's film music enthusiasts that gobbled up the anthology.

And yes, when that boxed set came out it was a VERY different time. We didn't have bootlegs or music ripped from 5.1 surround tracks. We had the original soundtracks and that's it. No other options. We were very happy with what we got.

Now, we have bootlegs from master tapes and from the surround channels. We're more spoiled than we were back then. Could be viewed as a good or bad thing. I leave it to you to debate.

This release can't possibly make a profit. It must have been extremely expensive for Concord to pay the licensing, reuse, royalties, restoration & mastering, manufacturing, distribution, and marketing costs for a niche market product in an industry where even the pop releases are suffering. In 1997 the CD market was peaking, Star Wars was successfully reissued theatrically, and the soundtracks went through the roof. That won't happen now and the people involved have to know this, so we need to just be grateful that they did this as a prestige item and not complain about the few bits of filler or transitional music that Williams probably felt could be eliminated for space reasons. I doubt there will be any other releases of these scores for at least 10 years.

And yes there were always bootlegs. I even found the bootleg LP of The Cowboys at Tower Records in the early 1980's and that's all that existed until the Varese release, which didn't include a lot of the music on the boot.

I don't think scores ever got the deluxe/remastered/expanded/complete treatment prior to the Star Wars Anthology, or if they did it was extremely rare. I remember noticing certain pieces being left off of the anthology, like the bit after Luke purchases the droids, superstructure chase from ROTJ and not really caring, focusing instead on the wealth of previously unreleased and previously unavailable on CD (ESB) stuff I now had. I've been comparing the tracklist to the score breakdowns and I'm not at all concerned about the cues seemingly left off, though we don't know for certain.

I remember only be bothered that RotJ cues like "Rebel Assembly" and "Obi Wan's Revelation" were left off. I didn't realze much was missing from Empire

Bootlegs existed well before the digital download/DVD rip era.

But I can't imagine how much harder they were to get a hold of.

I was spoiled, I became a film score fan through the Star Wars SEs so I wasn't around for a period where there was unreleased OT music. Heck, I didn't even know of the concept of unreleased music until TPM came out. That was a shock, I can tell you.

I'd disagree with that. The Star Wars music that a majority of "the public" cared about was on the soundtracks. It's film music enthusiasts that gobbled up the anthology.

I don't think so. The Star Wars anthology was purchased for me, 12 years before i ever started being a film music enthusiast...I'm sure there were many others like me.

There wasn't web-based message boards, but you can read the archives of rec.music.movies and rec.arts.sf.starwars, that's where we used to discuss these things back in the day.

A fun trip down memory lane would be to read Lukas Kendall's messages in r.m.m. about the anthology, and at one point he even posted which tracks would be on the "5th disc" that was mastered but never released.

Ahhh, memories. That's where I first posted how to rip music from the "The Phantom Menace" PC game using Scumm Revisited back in 1999, and Ricard picked up the story and I was on the front page here (back when this site was called "Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Music"). Good times.

I was a casual fan of film music before I received the SW Anthology as a Christmas present about 13 years ago. Back then, I didn't even know that they sold movie scores as standalone albums, that there was a market for it. My experience had been mostly with Disney soundtrack albums, like The Lion King and Aladdin. So the SW Anthology was really a life-changing event for me. Even though I'm as much a film music enthusiast as a classic rock or classical music enthusiast, with my enthusiasm for each varying from moment to moment.

There wasn't web-based message boards, but you can read the archives of rec.music.movies and rec.arts.sf.starwars, that's where we used to discuss these things back in the day.

A fun trip down memory lane would be to read Lukas Kendall's messages in r.m.m. about the anthology, and at one point he even posted which tracks would be on the "5th disc" that was mastered but never released.

Ahhh, memories. That's where I first posted how to rip music from the "The Phantom Menace" PC game using Scumm Revisited back in 1999, and Ricard picked up the story and I was on the front page here (back when this site was called "Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Music"). Good times.

Wow.

You must be really old!

:thumbup:

I believe the actual message boards started popping around the time Star Trek First Contact was released. Peter Kelly over at moviemusic.com had a completely different site and I wanna say I started with FSM in late 1996 or early 97'.

A member over at FSM recently posted a link to the old message board (FSM's) from 1998 and I found some of my old posts. :thumbup:

A member over at FSM recently posted a link to the old message board (FSM's) from 1998 and I found some of my old posts. :thumbup:

I bet they were all like "OMG!!!111 NEW sTAR wARZ comin Itz gonna b soooo kewl!!!!111 *squee*"

I think I remember seeing this forum once back in 99' but didn't think much of it. It wasn't until shortly after the release of the Phantom Menace U.E. when I came back and decided to just keep a watchful eye out on things.

Nowhere near that childish. And truthfully I wasn't really looking forward to Star Wars then. I thought it was a bad idea to re-visit SW after a 15 year hiatus.

I believe the actual message boards started popping around the time Star Trek First Contact was released. Peter Kelly over at moviemusic.com had a completely different site and I wanna say I started with FSM in late 1996 or early 97'.

I started at FSM when I first got access to the internet in the summer of 1997. I believe my first post was when I asked about the temp track for Insurrection and got a slightly outraged reply from Jeff Bond. ;)

When I came across that link to the old board recently, I only took a brief glance. I'm ashamed to read the stuff I've been posting back then.

I have fond memories of Wedge's Haiku thread and the "? for PeterK" installments at MM.com though.

The boxset is now available for pre-order at Play.com too. 47,49 euros with free shipping.

If the euro gets worse against the Dollar by november 10th, i think i'll cancel amazon and go with play.com

As things are now, the box set is costing me 43€. The day i ordered it, it was 38.

The boxset is now available for pre-order at Play.com too. 47,49 euros with free shipping.

If the euro gets worse against the Dollar by november 10th, i think i'll cancel amazon and go with play.com

As things are now, the box set is costing me 43€. The day i ordered it, it was 38.

Is that really possible, for the euro to get worse than the Dollar?

fortissimo.jpg

I was a casual fan of film music before I received the SW Anthology as a Christmas present about 13 years ago. Back then, I didn't even know that they sold movie scores as standalone albums, that there was a market for it. My experience had been mostly with Disney soundtrack albums, like The Lion King and Aladdin. So the SW Anthology was really a life-changing event for me. Even though I'm as much a film music enthusiast as a classic rock or classical music enthusiast, with my enthusiasm for each varying from moment to moment.

same here.

Is that really possible, for the euro to get worse than the Dollar?

Yes.

You'll be lucky to have any money at all by November 10th.

The new box set has worse sound quality than the original album. And the Desert Chase is edited, how fun.

How do you know that?

Edit: haha TJ and I posted at the same time.