Upcoming Soundtracks

MattyO

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is available for preorder on Amazon. It streets July 12th from Watertower Music.

http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Deathly-Hallows-Part/dp/B00518HARW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307499321&sr=1-1

Subtract a couple of days ;)

I'm still holding out hope that one of these labels will reproduce and master/remaster John Williams' 1979 theatrical version score for DRACULA. That is my second favorite score, after STAR WARS: EPISODE IV. :)

Who doesn't?

I'm still holding out hope that one of these labels will reproduce and master/remaster John Williams' 1979 theatrical version score for DRACULA. That is my second favorite score, after STAR WARS: EPISODE IV. :)

Who doesn't?

Agreed. It's nice to know that there are other enthusiasts of that long-ago score and film. Funny, Frank Langella correctly estimated that that score is rather "under the radar" when it comes to many discussing his oeuvre; yet it's one of his best, most powerful scores in his entire career. Can't you imagine what that score will sound like in 21st Century sound? If La-La Land's reissue of BATMAN were any indication, I'd be thoroughly pleased. I saw Williams in concert 3 years ago at Lincoln Center in NYC, and, if I had gotten the opportunity to meet him, I would have:

1. thanked him for giving me great music to listen to over the last 34 years,

2. made a musical request for either the MAIN TITLE/STORM SEQUENCE or THE LOVE SCENE from DRACULA,

3. I would have asked him to talk to the powers that be about getting both DRACULA and REVENGE OF THE SITH release in complete forms (though, I'm pretty certain, regarding EPISODE III, he and Lucas have an idea about when they'll be doing that...my guess is there'll be a future box set prequel trilogy to complement the original trilogy box sets from 2004/7).

4. I also would've asked John to PLEEEAASE send me a copy of the 2007 edition STAR WARS soundtrack box set, and sign it somewhere (I wouldn't play the music discs though, since I already have them from the other box set)...I got the 2004 edition for Xmas, and was so "ticked" to find out that the 2007 edition had the packaging and CD-ROMS that we thought we were getting w/ the first edition. Thank God the DSD sound is the same. I wonder if Sony will master them in the same format, though the 2-disc EPISODE I soundtrack is TOTALLY EPIC, and doesn't need any further sonic/packaging treatment. I sure hope Williams' upcoming TIN TIN soundtrack comes packaged in a similar fashion. How cool would that be?! ;)

the 2-disc EPISODE I soundtrack is TOTALLY EPIC, and doesn't need any further sonic/packaging treatment. I sure hope Williams' upcoming TIN TIN soundtrack comes packaged in a similar fashion. How cool would that be?!

:blink:

John....PLEEEAASE send me a copy of the 2007 edition...the 2007 edition had the packaging and CD-ROMS that we thought we were getting w/ the first edition. Thank God the DSD sound is the same...

what is the difference between the 04 and 07 editions?:blink:

Hi, Faleel,

In the first place, the 2007 30th Anniversary Edition of Star Wars has better packaging:

- 3 double CD sets in mini-LP form (meaning, the 12" double LP that I have from 1977 has been miniaturized to reflect the exact details/artwork/seals/record label that were there from each soundtrack's first pressing) w/ matching inner sleeves for each disc. So, if you weren't a first-generation STAR WARS fan, or you didn't pick up these scores during their initial release, you can have an exact, modernized replica of what came out in 1977, 1980, and 1983 respectively.

- Secondly, you get a brand new collection of musical selections, known as THE CORELLIAN EDITION (kind of like a STAR WARS suite, but not exactly...I wish it were, though), from all six of the STAR WARS films, also w/ deluxe packaging/artwork. (The 2004 box set didn't have this CD)

- Third, and what may hurt the most if you bought the 2004 edition (because it was kind of advertised to feature this extra), is the special CD-ROM disk for you PC that features liner notes, poster advertisements, and some of the historical icons of the three different soundtrack eras (1977-1983). This disk would've been even cooler if it had included all of the historical musical information about the STAR WARS universe that was contained w/in the 1997 Special Edition and/or the annotations from the 1993 edition, which was a collectors' paradise: Replete w/ a booklet featuring artwork, sketches, cue-by-cue analysis by a music historian, photos from the important segments of the film to correlate to the musical pieces on the soundtracks (mind you, I've never held this '93 edition in my hands (UGH!), so I'm going on second-hand information). Of course, it would have TOTALLY ROCKED if a reprint of that booklet had been included in the 30th Anniversary package (why does it seem like we fans have a better grasp of Quality Control/Assurance than those who work in those departments?); however, copyright infringement might have been the rationale for why it wasn't featured here. STINKS!

- The saving grace for us who got the sonically-excellent 2004 edition is that both box sets feature the same Direct Stream Digital remastering, so the sound of the CDs are exactly the same. Listening to A NEW HOPE in DSD sound is like hearing it anew every time. Statistically, supposedly about 70% of listeners aren't able to tell the difference in sonic fidelity of DSD, but I think I can. It's so much smoother, clear-as-a-bell, and has great depth of sound and spatial differentiation. Maybe it helps that I have a Sony Digital CD Discman, so it's probably the best audio system to hear a Sony-mastered disc on.

Honestly, in a magical, artistically-just world, any of us who were denied the promises of the 2004 edition, should've gotten a free copy of the 2007 version in the mail, just to square things away. Am I right?

That's why I would LOVE Mr. Williams to give me a copy of the 30th Anniversary Edition...and, if he had the other two editions lying around (specifically, the historical annotation booklets, the CDs aren't necessary), I'd probably want those, too. That'd probably be the only way to get a true, completeist (both musically and annotatively) version of this gargantuan musical opus.

Very enthusiastic post. But I believe the general consensus in 2007 was that this release was nothing more then just another repackage of the 1997 SE's

They don't actually sound any different, despite the DSD logo on the package.

Now I dont own these releases for that reason. so I hope they were right, or i missed out.

Very enthusiastic post. But I believe the general consensus in 2007 was that this release was nothing more then just another repackage of the 1997 SE's

They don't actually sound any different, despite the DSD logo on the package.

Now I dont own these releases for that reason. so I hope they were right, or i missed out.

Funny, I've always been under the impression that the overall consensus was that, sonically, the '04 and '07 editions are identical; but, that these editions are sonic improvements upon the second remastering from the (the '93 Edition was the first transfer, I believe) 1997 Special Edition CDs, since bit transparency was better post-2000 onwards (16-24 bits, etc.) on standard CDs. I've heard people (who've owned the '97s) state that there is a bit more clarity and depth to the DSD remasters of the 21st Century. I only had the 1980s printing of the 1977 double LP of A NEW HOPE, so, as good as the analog LP is (and mine has no scratches), this newest edition is out of the world.

As happy as I was on Xmas '04, I was disappointed when the screensavers didn't work, the artwork was nowhere to be found, etc. And, then when I saw the 30 Years of The Music From STAR WARS, and "the powers that be" fixed the glaring errors of the other box set, I was saddened and ticked. I think the annotation booklet problems stem from the fact that other record companies own those editions - RCA Victor for the 1997 CDs, and Arista for the 1993 anthology, so Michael Mattessino's liner notes (for example) can't be included w/in another (Sony) label's package. Still stupid, though...especially considering that the 1993 and 1997 box sets are both out-of-print (though still available online...Amazon, esp.). I can only assume(?) that the forthcoming prequels box set will have its total act together. It's still totally cool to think that this score has sold around 4 million copies since 1977 (and that's just counting EPISODE IV!) Williams is a Musical God.

Keep listening to good, inspiring music fellow audiophiles! :)

No, people here did an audio comparison and there was no remastering improvement; it might have been equalized very slightly, that's all. But this is not the thread for this.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jason LeBlanc' timestamp='1309204730' post='731252'

Final Destination 5 by Brian Tyler on August 9th

Isn't it ironic that a movie with the title "Final Destination" gets one bad sequel after the other, on and on...

Bruce Kimmel hinted on FSM that he's heard that Bernstein's The Ten Commandments WILL be coming from someone, but not from him. Nice to have some sort of acknowledgement about this title though.

I'm still waiting for Goldsmith's Sebastian. Lukas hinted at it about 2 years ago that it was coming from one of the labels and not to buy the Harkit release.

[quote name='Jason LeBlanc' timestamp='1309204730' post='731252'

Final Destination 5 by Brian Tyler on August 9th

Isn't it ironic that a movie with the title "Final Destination" gets one bad sequel after the other, on and on...

I would disagree, now if you said Saw films then I'd agree, but the Final Desitination films are shameless for what they are, they don't pretend to be anything but campy b horror films about people dying in horrific fashion. They are old fashioned in their approach, and never fall into the torture horror genre.

I would disagree, now if you said Saw films then I'd agree, but the Final Desitination films are shameless for what they are, they don't pretend to be anything but campy b horror films about people dying in horrific fashion. They are old fashioned in their approach, and never fall into the torture horror genre.

Oh, I was mainly referring to the "final" in the title, when there's so obviously never a 'final' destination for the series

• 2 weeks later...

Well if Geffen has the rights, perhaps something is in the works from one of the labels.

Remember the studios hold the rights to the downloads.

Conrad The Barbarian soundtrack cover + tracklist + release date :

conanscorecover.jpg

Release date: 08/16/11

1. Prologue(2:09)

2. His Name Is Conan(3:35)

3. Egg Race(2:49)

4. Fire And Ice(3:15)

5. Cimmerian Battle(3:19)

6. The Mill(1:54)

7. The Mask/12 Years Later(3:08)

8. Freeing Slaves(2:37)

9. Prison(3:36)

10. Monastery Approach(1:44)

11. Monastery Battle(1:10)

12. Horse Chase(3:03)

13. Priest Dies(2:51)

14. Catapult(2:36)

15. Outpost(7:55)

16. Fever(4:50)

17. Victory(0:37)

18. A Kiss(2:42)

19. The Temple(1:56)

20. Breaking In(2:41)

21. The Dweller(2:37)

22. The Wheel(1:21)

23. Cat & Mouse(2:08)

24. Zym's Demise(2:28)

25. Conan Returns Home(3:42)

Ready for some epic symphonic music ? Because you're not going to get it here !

P.S. : Conan Returns Home. What a lovely track title. I'm expecting some kind of military march a la When Johnny Comes Marching Home, the barbarian way. Should be awesome !

P.P.S. : Don't you hate it when the word "3D" is part of the film title (look at the cover art) ? It's like it defines the movie, and without it, it's not worth watching. Yeah, I know, they probably use that to differentiate it from Schwarzy's Conan, but they could have just done "Momoa's Conan", or "O'Brien The Barbarian", or whatever...

Conrad?

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes cover art and tracklisting.

This is a nightmare of a title btw. Hopefully Patrick Doyle delivers.

Karol

Planet Of The Apes

Beneath The Planet Of The Apes

Escape From The Planet Of The Apes

Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes

Battle For The Planet Of The Apes

Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

Fits perfectly.

Jerry Goldsmith's score to Chinatown is getting an MP3 release through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...1253065&sr=1-52

Looks like Geffen has the rights now.

Damn, I was hoping one of the labels would do this.

I don't need bloody mp3s, I already have them. I want a CD! :angry:

Who cares about Intrada rereleasing the original scores of Conan The Barbarian and The Destroyer ?

Here are samples for Tyler Bates' Conan !

Be careful! There may be too much awesomeness for your ears to take!

Watch out Poledouris! Bates is coming!

Poledouris' memorable melodies, deft orchestrations and choruses face the power of drums, droning and whispering chorus awesomeness that is Tyler Bates' Conan.