Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

I was going to place a huge order containing all the stuff that has accumulated since last year's black friday at MBR, but some stuff was out of stock and couldn't be ordered, so I had to split my order between MBR (for HookSneakers, and the Magnificent Seven box set I never picked up) and Soundtrack Corner for the rest (which doesn't list if stuff is in stock or "temporarily out of stock" or "out of stock" (a distinction made at MBR) - so hopefully they'll actually be able to fulfil it, and within in less than a year…)

About €460 in total. 🤯

I've ranted about Soundtrack Corner in the past, but I have to give them credit this time: My order (including lots of stuff that's temporarily out of stock or not even currently orderable at MBR) has already shipped.

That means I should have everything except for the Mag7 box set and the two new LLLs next week.

Today I received a couple of nice ones:

• Solo a Star Wars Story (The Deluxe Edition). I'm now playing it over and over :wub:
  • Babylon
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
  • Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
  • X2: X-Men United

Finally, two very obscure additions to my physical collection, which has grown only minimally in recent years. To be honest, I would have preferred to save myself the 15 € postage to Germany plus exactly 7.13 € customs duty if Buysoundtrax had offered their new releases separately as a purely digital purchase. 

A quick word about the music: 

Joe Kraemer's "Wonders of the Universe" is a nice compilation album of his audio drama scores for Big Finish's "Space: 1999" (2021-2022). Unfortunately, these are purely sample-based recordings, but you can hear the passion and inspiration Joe put into his extravagant orchestral compositions. The sample libraries used are of a very high quality and since I have been dealing with MIDI orchestration myself for many years, I probably have a certain guilty pleasure for this sound ;) Musically, everything revolves around an ominous, minor-interval motif consisting of six notes not unlike Barry's "Black Hole", which gives the whole score a uniform melodic structure.

"G-Savior" is a team effort by Louis Febre and his mentor at the time, John Debney, for a Canadian TV production from 1999. It's a kind of Power Rangers meets Starship Trooper meets sci-fi anime with an ultra-low budget. If my ears aren't completely deceiving me, this is one of those typical synth-orchestra scores from the late 90s that were recorded almost exclusively with the Gigasampler from Nemesys. But I could be wrong and at least some of the solo instruments were recorded live. For the aforementioned nostalgic reasons, I can personally overlook this very synthetic sound as long as the music itself is solid. And that is definitely the case here: The memorable heroic main theme is introduced in the first track and runs as a musical thread through the entire score.

20231122_192555(1).thumb.jpg.1bc046ba94e1abc1e4c39452d1627ea4.jpg

This might be  a weird one.

image.jpeg

My dad had the original UK release for the first Lucky Luke movie on vinyl. Being familiar with the comics, I was intrigued by this music and listened to it without having seen the film. I think this might have been the first soundtrack I ever listened to. Certainly the first one I listened to without having seen the film. I might have been ten or eleven. It was before I found out who John Williams was anyway.

Now apparently, Music Box Records released the complete score this year, sourced from the original masters, along with the score from the second movie and the second season of the TV show from 1990 (which I probably watched as a kid) in this 3-CD set. Limited to only 300 copies, I felt I just had to get it for nostalgia's sake. It arrived two days ago and I'm halfway through the final disc now. Made a playlist that matches that original LP too. Kinda fun to hear this again after so many years.

Oh yeah, also ordered this. Because I had to:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_20231203_114106.jpg

IMG_20231203_114232.jpg

IMG_20231203_114156.jpg

Random question:

Has anyone ever tried polishing older jewel cases to remove scratches and shine them up? I've heard that headlamp restorer can deliver good results but have yet to try it.

17 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Inspired by recent expansions I grabbed some used OSTs, that I didn't have before, probably all together for the price, that I would have paid for just one of the expansions. 

20231208_110822.jpg

And for Horner I am fine with OSTs anyway.

Used? The conditions look good. Where did you buy them?

The journey of a film music fan:

1. Listen to the OST, thinking it lacks music;
  2. Eagerly acquire the expanded edition when it's released;
  3. THEN think that the original OST was actually good! :lol:

57 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Horner does have a couple of terrible OSTs in his career. Apollo 13 and How the Grinch Stole Christmas come to mind (both are Ron Howard movies coincidentally).

Yes, I imagine they were dictates from Imagine Entertainment. 

On 24/11/2023 at 12:24 PM, GerateWohl said:

Not easy to find time for listening to all.

I so easily could. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm unfamiliar with that film, and it's score... and don't actually own any Morricone scores.

A whole wonderful world for you to explore sometime, perhaps? 😀

Karol

I mean, my own Morricone collection is really small, and not just compared to his entire output, but to what I have by other composers. I only have about a dozen of his scores (though several of those twice or even thrice). But I definitely wouldn't want to miss most of those.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I mean, my own Morricone collection is really small, and not just compared to his entire output, but to what I have by other composers. I only have about a dozen of his scores (though several of those twice or even thrice). But I definitely wouldn't want to miss most of those.

Yup, I have it just the same. There's a few scores of his that's among the best of the best:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Once Upon a Time in the West

A Fistful of Dollars 

For a Few Dollars More

The Untouchables 

Then there's the likes of Cinema Paradiso and Legend of 1900 which are very good but not quite at the top.

I second, Morricone's Écoutez le cinéma first boxset is a must. My Morricone CD collection outside the boxsets was also very thin.

The Thing remains a must, you need it (it's not complete in the boxset).

20231210_065236.jpg

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yup, I have it just the same. There's a few scores of his that's among the best of the best:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Once Upon a Time in the West

A Fistful of Dollars 

For a Few Dollars More

The Untouchables 

Then there's the likes of Cinema Paradiso and Legend of 1900 which are very good but not quite at the top.

Those are all top Morricones for me (including the ones in your paragraph, at least 1900 more so than The Untouchables). And The Mission, too, and Once Upon a Time in America.

It’s difficult to buy Morricone when you don’t have any because… where do you start? I don’t want to spend my money on the big ones I can hear streaming (except perhaps The Mission).

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is the best Morricone's score and the Quartet release is simply perfect

Here are some other terrific one:

• Once Upon a Time in the West
  • A Fistful of Dollars
  • For a Few Dollars More
  • My Name is Nobody
  • The Hateful Eight
  • Two Mules for Sister Sara
  • The Mission
  • Cinema Paradiso
  • The Thing
  • Red Sonja
  • Wolf
  • The Untouchables
  • Once Upon a Time in America
  • Le Marginal
  • Le Professionnel

42 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The Mission

I knew I'd forgotten one. Not a fan of the darker parts of the score, but the first side of the LP is great.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Once Upon a Time in America

That's never really clicked with me, and it feels a bit dated, but I'd be interested in checking out an expansion. 

30 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:
1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Once Upon a Time in America

That's never really clicked with me, and it feels a bit dated, but I'd be interested in checking out an expansion. 

It's more of a highlights score for me (like The Mission. But the highlights are first rate Morricone.

2 hours ago, Stark said:

It’s difficult to buy Morricone when you don’t have any because… where do you start?

I started with the American made films. 

The Untouchables

Disclosure

In the Line of Fire

U-Turn

The Mission

Love Affair

Wolf

Bugsy

City of Joy

Days of Heaven

Hamlet