What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Red Pony - Aaron Copland

Got this in the mail on Monday and holy cow is it great.  Copland Americana at its most memorable and likable.

This release of the original recordings probably won't supplant the Williams/BPO recording of the suite for me, but it's really nice to have.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Jurassic Park

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Pan

QB VII

Enemy at the Gates

Now listening to this worthy Oscar winner (one of the few in past decade)...

Karol

Least deserving of the nominees. 

46 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Least deserving of the nominees. 

What?  I would agree it wasn't the best score of the year, but it was better than the other nominees except for maybe 3:10 to Yuma.  How did Michael Clayton even get nominated?  (Don't get me wrong - I think the film's a masterpiece, but JNH's score was really subpar).

22 hours ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

What?  I would agree it wasn't the best score of the year, but it was better than the other nominees except for maybe 3:10 to Yuma.  How did Michael Clayton even get nominated?  (Don't get me wrong - I think the film's a masterpiece, but JNH's score was really subpar).

Michael Clayton is a masterpiece, score included!

14 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

While there are some who listen endlessly to boring stuff like The BFG and La-La-Land, there are other, nobler listeners who want to widen their horizons, learn more about film music, about how it all started, to discover more interesting scores than the ones we get these days. 

Hey! :P

I listened to JW's Cello Concerto, Horn Concerto, and For the President's Own tonight! Particularly the former two definitely broadened my horizons, if perhaps not as much as you suggest here. 

And no BFG or La La Land. I don't actually listen to the BFG that much. It's been a while since I've listened to more than a track or two. 

'Time out', maybe the most far-out modernist thing Goldsmith wrote for the movies post-'Alien'. Whoever had the bright idea to score this like a modestly sized Bartok-influenced chamber piece for piano, synthesizer and percussions (which was something they let composers get away with in 60's tv) needs to be congratulated (Joe Dante?). Think what marvelous effect such a piece could have today.

12 minutes ago, publicist said:

'Time out', maybe the most far-out modernist thing Goldsmith wrote for the movies post-'Alien'. Whoever had the bright idea to score this like a modestly sized Bartok-influenced chamber piece for piano and percussions (which was something they let composers get away with in 60's tv) needs to be congratulated (Joe Dante?). Think what marvelous effect such a piece could have today.

Yeah probably Dante. I think Landis and Spielberg were like "fuck it" after they finished filming and editing.

Returning back to Williams!

John Williams - E.T. (1996 CD)

John Williams - Temple of doom (Concord Set, combined tracks of CD 2 & 5)

John Williams - Spacecamp

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Selections from John Williams' A.I. Artificial Intelligence.

Show your playlist!

On 2/2/2017 at 7:54 AM, BloodBoal said:

While there are some who listen endlessly to boring stuff like The BFG and La-La-Land, there are other, nobler listeners who want to widen their horizons, learn more about film music, about how it all started, to discover more interesting scores than the ones we get these days. And the journey starts here...

I don't know about the score, but the movie Birth of a Nation is boring as fuck.

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

Returning back to Williams!

John Williams - E.T. (1996 CD)

John Williams - Temple of doom (Concord Set, combined tracks of CD 2 & 5)

John Williams - Spacecamp

Who cares about some old man? Who is this John bloody Williams, anyway? Is he a passenger?

13th Warrior by Jerry Goldsmith

Minority Report by John Williams

The Last Airbender by James Newton Howard

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (LLL release) by John Williams

The Patriot by John Williams

On 02/02/2017 at 0:54 PM, BloodBoal said:

While there are some who listen endlessly to boring stuff like The BFG and La-La-Land, there are other, nobler listeners who want to widen their horizons, learn more about film music, about how it all started, to discover more interesting scores than the ones we get these days. 

What a visionary. 

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Divide by Chris Tilton

Still has that classic early 00s sound that I love!

Ooh, hadn't heard of that one, I'll have to check if out. Thanks for the tip! 

John Barry- The Dove and The Knack.

The former had that certain effect that I can't elaborate on. I've never seen the Dove but the score conjured images of Alpine scenery, the Med and so on.

Nelson Riddle's Batman the Movie.

Quincy Jones' The Italian Job -Getta Bloomin' Move On/Self Preservation Society always infectious.

Airplane II- Richard Hazard/Elmer Bernstein

Hard to guage -half Bernstein's material from the first film and half, more or less, Stu Phillips' Battlestar work from Saga of a Star World.

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein by Patrick Doyle

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman

Judge Dredd by Alan Silvestri

Starship Troopers by Basil Poledouris

Aliens by James Horner

Something Wicked This Way Comes by James Horner

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein by Patrick Doyle

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman

Judge Dredd by Alan Silvestri

Starship Troopers by Basil Poledouris

Aliens by James Horner

Something Wicked This Way Comes by James Horner

What a lovely, and varied selection!

I commend you, sir!

SWTWC is just beautiful.

Actually, they both are! 

21 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Howard Shore (complete recordings)

Building on this - this is probably, by a very narrow margin of course, the one I listen to the least frequently, either in pieces or in whole.  I'm always so delighted by how many colorful, evocative moments there are in this score which is definitely characterized by a bleaker, darker tone than its surrounding fellows.  It certainly is that, but there is so much more in there.  

I've mentioned before how some of the SW prequel scores have stretches of atmospheric underscore that are almost like ambient music for the Star Wars universe - you can just sort of daydream in that "world" to those stretches since there's nothing dramatically too demanding there.  Parts of this score are similar in that way.  Some of the material from Ithilien and the Forbidden Pool scene, for example, are really gorgeously nocturnal in that Middle-Earthian way, and I wish there were more of it.