What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

ab67616d0000b2732c6f7b6140df7f761adb7f0b

Fun, dig the incorporation of mid 90s pop music tropes (like in "Mil Hi Gaye")! As you have gathered, I'm going through my Rahman collection again -- 25 albums in total, after going through his entire discograhy a few years ago and landing on the best stuff. No worries, though, I'm not going to post about all of then (for example, I've skipped over THIRUDA, THIRUDA and Deepa Mehta's crossover hit FIRE so far). 

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

No worries, though, I'm not going to post about all of then (for example, I've skipped over THIRUDA, THIRUDA and Deepa Mehta's crossover hit FIRE so far). 

I was starting to get worried there!

Kung Fu Panda (bootleg)

Thanks to the info posted on the HZ fansite, it's easier to see who did what in this score. Thus, I managed to find it easier to appreciate it.

From Zimmer's side, I like his comedic Po theme and the beautifully spiritual Oogway theme. I like how he made a huge effort to sound authentically Chinese. However, the problem with most of his DreamWorks scores is that I don't think they have much substance (Prince of Egypt notwithstanding). That said, this of course is miles ahead of his efforts on stuff like Shark Tale or Madagascar.

From Powell's side, I managed to find a few moments with that Powell "magic" that is found in his kiddie scores. Nothing outstanding like HTTYD, of course, but my evaluation of the score improved greatly. 

If the info is correct, then JP had to do practically the entire climax of the movie, including the confrontations between Tai Lung and the Furious Five, Po's training with Shifu, Shifu vs Tai Lung, and the final showdown between Po and the villain. I guess Zimmer had to leave to work on The Dark Knight so Powell was brought to do the climax and some other scenes earlier in the movie (despite he having to also work on Hancock).

Which makes me think: I still can't believe the cue below is a Powell composition (plus James McKee Smith) and not Zimmer.

34 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

This is my all-time favourite Doyle score.

The music which underscores the sequence where Frankenstein creates the creature, is brilliant.

But the love theme is even better.

Mark Mancina - Speed 2: Cruise Control

One of my favorite action scores!  Really nice bookending love theme tracks too, and some nice Caribbean flair in the mix as well

Mark Mancina - Bad Boys

Man I thought I really liked this score, but this listen kind of cooled me off from it.  The action music was just Speed leftovers.  Luckily the main theme is still a blast, in the long arrangement of it and some fun iterations throughout the underscore.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Mark Mancina - Speed 2: Cruise Control

One of my favorite action scores!  Really nice bookending love theme tracks too, and some nice Caribbean flair in the mix as well

I gave the original a spin yesterday and it's a great score, although I think the sequel is more fun and interesting, despite the sequel being a bit of a dud.

image.png

Zany (but mostly not in an annoying way) comedy score, very full on but a great main theme and never a dull moment. Even the dialogue extracts are quite good fun, in fact I liked them more than the sung bits (those big old cheesy chorus numbers rarely do much for me).

It's kind of amazing how little Speed 2's score has on common with Speed 1. It's really its own thing with the occasional cameo of an old theme, but always reworked and new and interesting. 

John Williams - The Witches of Eastwick

I listened to fan edit of the isolated score track - not a pleasant listening experience!  There's SO MUCH source music interrupting the flow of the score.  Really soured my on the experience; I remember liking the score a lot the last time I listened to the OST album.  I'll stick with that until an expansion comes out some day

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I listened to fan edit of the isolated score track - not a pleasant listening experience!  There's SO MUCH source music interrupting the flow of the score.  

That's what I always said, good luck for an expansion!

On 20/02/2023 at 8:08 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

image.pngGotta love Doyle in his "this is probably a bit much for the movie but it's a brilliant album" phase... having said that, it does get perhaps a touch full on by the end, but plenty of wonderful stuff. I miss this Doyle I can't deny it.

This is the pinnacle of Doyle's golden era - 1991-1995. It distills (or expands) all that made his work at that time so amazing. He has never reached these levels of awesomeness or compositional dexterity as he started to use either thicker orchestration (as in Harry Potter 4) or was forced into an RCP mold as with Eragon etc.

The Creation is the encore he plays at his concerts which is not surprising.

I don't think Arnold was ever on Waterworld, Isham was (FFS)>

This is olden style Doyle done this millenia:

15 hours ago, Bespin said:

That's what I always said, good luck for an expansion!

Why would an expansion be difficult?  It'd just be the score cues alone, and will be great.  the source stuff isn't necessary.

A Hidden Life - James Newton Howard

Because of all the praise from fans here and because the CD is so cheap I check it out again and again on Spotify from time to time, but all I hear is Lady in the Water and I have that CD already. 

On 20/02/2023 at 9:08 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

image.pngGotta love Doyle in his "this is probably a bit much for the movie but it's a brilliant album" phase... having said that, it does get perhaps a touch full on by the end, but plenty of wonderful stuff. I miss this Doyle I can't deny it.

Frankenstein has good themes, but I always found their variations in the score kind of flat and boring. That's why I don't listen to it very often.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Why would an expansion be difficult?  It'd just be the score cues alone, and will be great.  the source stuff isn't necessary.

There will be many little tracks, well if they chose to put them on the expansion... so that's why I say good luck, many decisions will have to be taken.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

I listened to fan edit of the isolated score track - not a pleasant listening experience!  There's SO MUCH source music interrupting the flow of the score.  Really soured my on the experience; I remember liking the score a lot the last time I listened to the OST album.  I'll stick with that until an expansion comes out some day

I have to admit that I rather like how Nessun Dorma merges in from the underscore for the ballroom scene as it's quite tastefully done and works quite well (much though JW's music is great). Like a few other DVDs, I specifically bought Witches of Eastwick for its isolated score. I think I gave it a listen once but obviously it's easier to listen to it as a rip, but I'm sure an official expanded version is coming at some point. Not that there's a massive amount of music missing but a little audio polish probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Because of all the praise from fans here and because the CD is so cheap I check it out again and again on Spotify from time to time, but all I hear is Lady in the Water and I have that CD already. 

The problem I have with A Hidden Life is the handful of highlights, beautiful as they are, are too scarce to make for a decent album listen. If the score was a tad more developed and expansive, it could have been a career best.

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

A Hidden Life is a masterpiece. I don't listen to the classical pieces when I listen to the album, so as not to get out of the mood.

Sure is. His best since THE VILLAGE (which, incidentally, is very much in the same style), and by far the best score that year.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

More LitW-style JNH? Now I'm interested.

As I said. For me somehow the harmonies of Lady in the Water in the instrumentation of The Village. That sums it up for me. Not different enough to justify it as a separate work. I rather listen to the other two.

But good for those who see something special in it. 

I don't know why I am so picky with JNH. For example with Howard Shore I am much more indulgent when it comes to almost similar sounding scores.

POLEDOURIS,BASIL - Conan the Barbarian - Transcribed for Organ - Amazon.com  Music

I really wanted to like this more as it's an interesting concept, but so often feels leaden and plodding, nor does it really feel like it takes advantage of the colours of a church organ. I don't know if it's the performance, the transcription or maybe some music just doesn't work well transcribed. An interesting idea but not an entirely successful one.

ab67616d0000b2737cc21f379e0c03ddd6b2e64c

As recommended by DemonStar in the Rahman thread. I agree -- it's quite good, although some of the music is clearly augmented with sampled instruments, and I could be without some of the RC-like ostinatos here and there. But when things are toned down a bit, I dig it. Not the orchestral masterpiece like ENTHIRAN, and I generally veer more towards Rahman's non-orchestral work, but yeah - good stuff.

(Also a bit funny that Rahman is such a big star that he's equal in size to the film's protagonist on the soundtrack cover itself).

21 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Gabriel Yared all-synth score, from an animation film I love!

Quite interesting but I'm not sure I'd like it if I didn't love the film.

Not familiar with that, thanks for the recommendation. I dig Yared's early synth excursions, like BETTY BLUE.

All The Money In The World - Daniel Pemberton

There's some tracks that aren't very interesting, but how I love that main theme!!

The tracks where it's featured in a soo cool and the cue "J. Paul Getty" is a powerhouse.

On 27/2/2023 at 7:35 PM, LSH said:

The Land Race has always been one of favourite stand-alone Williams cues and I listen to it often but without taking the rest of the score in.

It’s a go-to cue for me when I need a pick me up. Why there’s not a concert arrangement for the Land Race, I’ll never understand.  It would bring the house down.