What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 23.2.2016 at 11:10 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

FOTR complete recordings today.  Just the absolute pinnacle of everything.  There is no recording of symphonic music that surpasses the quality and character of this one.  John Kurlander should have had his own category that year at the Oscars.

They are not bad and I like the music, but there are lots of classical recordings easily surpassing this in clarity and fidelity.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Mmmmh..this comes really rather...unexpected. Third blockbuster within a year that is strictly Hollywood 'classical' (meaning lots of woodwinds and underscore not conceived on sequencers), some of it is trimmable, a lot unexpectedly dissonant. Are we into the Renaissance yet?

Unexpected but certainly not unwelcome. Bravo Beltrami. I really like the percussion work here and the faux-Egyptian melodies bring back fond memories of several scores of the yesteryear.

Btw the track title puns are at times on Giacchino level here. :P

6 hours ago, hanser said:

They are not bad and I like the music, but there are lots of classical recordings easily surpassing this in clarity and fidelity.

It's ok that you disagree. 

8 hours ago, publicist said:

Mmmmh..this comes really rather...unexpected. Third blockbuster within a year that is strictly Hollywood 'classical' (meaning lots of woodwinds and underscore not conceived on sequencers), some of it is trimmable, a lot unexpectedly dissonant. Are we into the Renaissance yet?

So I should bother?

8 minutes ago, KK. said:

I was hesitant too, but I guess I'll check it out now.

Hey it's not a classic by any means but got more emotional response from me than many a Beltrami score. Not unique but entertaining. I didn't go a-humming the themes after the first listen but plan to take another soon, which is indication there remains lingering interesting at least in some of this music.

Nixon by John Williams: Got to love this brooding character portrait. Much of the burning and smoldering darkness of Williams' noughties scores has its origins in this sound world.

It's not like you have to try an exotic drug with possibly fatal side effects. Turn it on, if you don't like it, turn it off again.  The biggest problem as always with "texture" and motivic modern composers like Beltrami is that their themes stand not out. The orchestration is rather remarkable for such a project.

But the times when Goldsmith hammered out three perfect faux-egypt themes for the MUMMY from the same fifth and several just as memorable sub-motifs in three and a half weeks are long gone (and it's far from his biggest achievement). Would have been interested in Wintory's take on this. Obviously he is another one who started his career upon listening to seminal Jerry scores in his teens.

46 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's not like you have to try an exotic drug with possibly fatal side effects. Turn it on, if you don't like it, turn it off again.  The biggest problem as always with "texture" and motivic modern composers like Beltrami is that their themes stand not out. The orchestration is rather remarkable for such a project.

But the times when Goldsmith hammered out three perfect faux-egypt themes for the MUMMY from the same fifth and several just as memorable sub-motifs in three and a half weeks are long gone (and it's far from his biggest achievement). Would have been interested in Wintory's take on this. Obviously he is another one who started his career upon listening to seminal Jerry scores in his teens.

Yes I reckon Wintory is certainly a Goldsmith fan.  I'll listen to this today.

34 minutes ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture complete score

Goldsmith's finest work by far.

Yes!

Currently listening to Star Trek: Insurrection complete edition and skipping tons of tracks. This one is like the complete opposite of ST:TMP where the complete chronological score simply doesn't work. Although both the complete and OST presentations of ST:TMP are perfect.

I find ST perfectly sufficient in its 1999 Sony incarnation. A lot of the second half is overly dry and Goldsmith knew why he cut it. He just was too grumpy to allow the three cues with the alternate theme on that release - it would have been perfect.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

I would be interested to hear Wintory's take on just about any score these days instead of Holkenborg and other borgs assimilating the film music universe.

And yes Beltrami's orchestrations for Gods of Egypt are rather remarkable for such piece of gold doused blockbuster cinema.

6 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Although for the most part the actiony music in this isn't engaging, just loud and way too punchy/dry.  The crafty colorations seem limited to quiet moments.

Yeah I noted the dryness which works against the action material here.

TFA FYC

A satisfying listen, but I prefer the OST for the concert versions of Rey's Theme and March of the Resistance, overall superior pacing and Torn Apart, The Ways of the Force and Scherzo for X-Wings.

I could not imagine listening the the FYC on its own.  It's too much of a mess.  It needs edited into the OST.  I myself simply inserted Finn's Trek, Snoke, The Resistance, and The Bombing Run into the OST and none of Williams' microedits bother me enough to go through the obsessive tinkering process of editing them together anymore.

Watching the sunset while drinking a beer, having a smoke and listening to the Ba'ku theme from Star Trek: Insurrection. Reminds me of Kick the Can from Twilight Zone: The Movie. Goldsmith. What a legend.

A great Sunday listening to great music! :music:

John Williams - Tom Sawyer [Expanded Original MGM Motion Picture Soundtrack] (2015, Quartet Records)

John Williams - Jaws 2 [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (2015, Intrada)

John Williams - Home Alone 25th Anniversary: Limited Edition (2015, La-La Land)

Paul Meets Chani, Duke's Death and Final Dream are also terrific tracks. But then you have stuff like the Desert theme...the good and the bad all mixed together...just like the movie

The Blue Max & Themes and Suites by Jerry Goldsmith

Midway by John Williams

Rosewood (Complete LLL edit) by John Williams

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

How is the new Blue Max recording, Inky?

It is fantastic! Although I like the score very much I have to admit I do not know The Blue Max inside out. Still to my ears the re-recording really sounds like a very faithful interpretation of the score and captures the spirit of Goldsmith's music very well. The sound quality is great and both the grander setpieces and the more delicate love theme material shine.

Hornist inspired my listening choices today

John Williams - The Adventures of Tintin (expanded fan edit)

Wonderful, I had forgotten how fun the Thompsons music is!

John Williams - War Horse (OST)

Gorgeous, and what a corker of an end title suite

John Williams - Lincoln (FYC)

I had forgotten that the FYC presentation doesn't really get into the meaty variants of the themes until the end credits, its really quite reserved until then.  That reserved-ness really makes the end credits pop!

John Williams - The Book Thief (FYC) 

I really like the opening and ending of this score, in either presentation.  The middles are roughly the same either way, too.

After watching for the first time in ages some Season 2 Star Trek TOS (Friday's Child/Deadly Years/Obsession/Wolf in the Fold) dusted off my Doomsday Machine/Amok Time CD

rollicking good listen with Doomsday containing the nearest you could get to a Jaws-type feeling and sound in Trek with the relentlessness of the Planet Killer (for example in "Goodbye Mr Decker" or "Kirk Does It Again"). Amok Time containing a singular sound for Vulcan forever etched in the mind with any thought of Vulcan or Spock, aside from the famous fight music a good track (amongst many) is "Marriage Council".

Watching the episodes it's surprising how well mined both scores were for subsequent episodes and sometimes effectively, the Planet Killer march in Obsession for the cloud/creature or bits and bobs from Amok Time like "Mr Spock" for the enquiry in Wolf in the Fold.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Very intersting score from a compositional standpoint.  Can't remember where but I read Shire talking about it and the procedures he used. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

Born on the Fourth July :music:

JFK :music:

Add Nixon and you have a great trilogy right there!

It's a bittersweet score from a quirky Dick Lester movie, about a older Robin of Sherwood coming out of retirement. It stars 0-0-sheven himshelf, Sean Connery, with fine support from Robert Shaw, and Nicol Williamson. It's nicely shot by David Watkin.