What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Justin Bieber: Never Say Never

Seriously.

This makes me feel a lot better in saying that the last movie I watched (and loved!) was Megamind.

I wouldn't say I loved it (it wasn't exactly The Incredibles), but Megamind did yield quite a few laughs when I watched it with family last week.

The Marlon Brando impersonation was hilarious.

127 Hours

I think this might ultimately be my favorite film of last year. The Social Network and Black Swan are very close, but Boyle's editing and cinematography here are just mesmerizing. Rahman's score and the use of songs work to perfection in complementing the story. Strange, since I found 2009's Slumdog Millionaire a bit overrated. Without a doubt Franco's best performance, and I look forward to seeing him tackle more series roles.

The making of featurette was eye-opening. The whole canyon was a set, which was extremely well crafted. Franco's fake arm was also extremely real and detailed. I was also surprised that some of the stuff he did for real, and he had serious qualms with Boyle about getting it right on the first take. Boyle was also a delight to watch direct, and everyone on set were truly freaked and grossed out during the tense scenes. Boyle even had to look away at moments. It was truly a one man show, as he let Franco do a lot of stuff in his own way.

This makes me feel a lot better in saying that the last movie I watched (and loved!) was Megamind.

I wouldn't say I loved it (it wasn't exactly The Incredibles), but Megamind did yield quite a few laughs when I watched it with family last week

No, Megamind didn't quite have the substance The Incredibles had, but it was still a great movie.

They might both have been beaten out, however, by an animated movie I saw for the first time last night (yes, I know I'm behind on these things): How To Train Your Dragon. Pure cinematic joy, triumph, and exhiliration from beginning to end. I was actually grateful to the animators for the level of character they instilled in each one of the players through body language and expression. Just beautifully done, all the way around.

- Uni

Jesus Camp.

Not only is this scary, but profoundly saddening, as well. These kids are being so heavily indoctrinated with a specific, all-encompassing, radical belief system. I can't imagine many of them ever mustering the objectivity and critical thinking skills to actually decide for themselves whether these beliefs are correct. For me, the instinctive response to this is disbelieving anger at the adults...but then I remember that most of them were probably subjected to the same sort of thing when they were young. It's self-perpetuating now, and very difficult to stop, since the whole problem is that people in this mindset are not receptive to differing opinions.

Mind you, I'm not trying to start a religious debate or anything. I was raised a Christian, and although I'm more or less agnostic now, I still have beloved friends and family who are Christians. I don't have anything against every single Christian out there. What I do have a problem with is when children are brainwashed to the point where they're never going to be able to critically analyze their own beliefs and thought processes. That's a huge problem, no matter what the content of the brainwashing is.

As for my opinions of the filmmaking itself...I thought it was a pretty well-put-together documentary. The lack of narration works well, though the stuff with the radio guy does provide some balance to the film. As other reviewers have said, the film largely feels pretty unbiased, although I of course paid attention to the music, and it does help suggest certain emotions. But other than that, it mostly lets people's actions and words and beliefs speak for themselves, which is good.

One thing that was funny was that I've been watching Lie to Me recently, and I caught myself paying a lot of attention to these people's expressions and body language at several points in Jesus Camp. I'm far from an expert, but what I saw was a lot of very real and very negative emotion.

Rango

Best film of the year, so far, hands down. Good god I haven't had so much fun at the movies in a long time. Infinite references both visual and musical, it's like a massive Western buffet. Zimmer's score was breathtaking, the animation was breathtaking, the sheer fun of it was something you don't see a lot in movies these days, in both animation and live action. Hope this takes the Oscar next year, I can already say it's more deserving than what Cars 2 will be. One of the best "cameos" ever, as well. Superb voice acting from a stellar cast. So much to love here, highly recommended.

ESB. Such an amazing sequel...obviously, it's already received plenty of praise, so I won't ramble, but I love how this film is completely different from Star Wars in setting, tone, and plot structure, yet it fits perfectly into the saga. I'm planning on watching ROTJ before too long, and perhaps even the prequels as well, just because...and I must say, I'm kinda sad right now that I've already got the two best films out of the way. =/ ROTJ is fun, and I can even enjoy the prequels for what they are, but...wow. ANH and ESB are in their own league of coolness.

I'll also say that I'm glad the visual effects are better in ESB, which meant Lucas felt less inclined to tamper with them later on. It's glorious seeing such extensive (and extremely effective) use of models, matte paintings, stop motion, and so forth. I've got nothing against CGI in and of itself, but so much of what you see in ESB just feels so...real. I think that's part of why the film feels so cool...I mean, for a nerdy kid like me, it was sooooo easy to imagine myself right there in the midst of these adventures.

The Adjustment Bureau

A very well made film. It's a bit preposterous, but the chemistry between Emily Blunt and Matt Damon is very palpable and keeps the film involving. George Nolfi's screenplay does the themes better than the short story did, by fashioning almost entirely a different story within the film. And it's well paced and doesn't wear out its welcome.

The problem I have is Thomas Newman's score. It doesn't add or detract from the film, and while the Newman quirkiness is refreshing for some films (it worked beautifully in Wall-E)-- I would've appreciated a more conventional, romantic score. I wouldn't mind hearing what Horner composed for the film (if he ever got to that point), or someone else.

The Adjustment Bureau

A very well made film. It's a bit preposterous, but the chemistry between Emily Blunt and Matt Damon is very palpable and keeps the film involving. George Nolfi's screenplay does the themes better than the short story did, by fashioning almost entirely a different story within the film. And it's well paced and doesn't wear out its welcome.

The problem I have is Thomas Newman's score. It doesn't add or detract from the film, and while the Newman quirkiness is refreshing for some films (it worked beautifully in Wall-E)-- I would've appreciated a more conventional, romantic score. I wouldn't mind hearing what Horner composed for the film (if he ever got to that point), or someone else.

I watched it last night, expecting an Inception-caliber experience. Inception it ain't. (I suppose some of you, therefore, will enjoy it thoroughly.)

What worked, as you said, was the chemistry - the characters were very likeable. The whole premise was intriguing. The subject was thought-provoking. However, I felt the filmmaking was very inconsistent. It was as if several different directors/cinematographers/editors were working on four or five different genres, each with its own style and feel. You had the "political thriller," the romantic drama, the strange sci-fi/fantasy (or whatever you'd call the supernatural element), etc. Each element was great on its own, but for me it felt disjointed, so I never got fully immersed in it. The feeling I had when I left the theater was the same feeling I had when I left Knowing: I enjoyed it, but I was thinking, "weird."

I had high expectations for The Adjustment Bureau based on the trailer. The truth is, the trailer was a much better-crafted piece of art. The film itself held no mystery. The bureau was not revealed slowly - we were behind the curtain from the very beginning. It made it a little cheesy, IMHO.

I hope anyone who reads this will lower their expectations and enjoy it, because there really is a lot of interesting stuff going on. Just don't expect a masterpiece.

Man, did they really call it The Adjustment Bureau?

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the tv spot. Sounds like film about accountants. Turns out it is.

Collateral: Weak and I would have switched it off if it wasn't for the kid who thought it was quite suspenseful.

Kick-Ass: Though the first time was better, it still manages to entertain during a second time. I wonder if they'll make another one and whether it has any potential to be good.

Collateral: Weak and I would have switched it off if it wasn't for the kid who thought it was quite suspenseful.

You are weak. It's a terrific movie.

Saw North by Northwest with a friend who hadn't seen it before and I don't think I've ever enjoyed it more.

Saw I Am Love (2010). Marvelous. All the passion I was missing from 99% of 2010 movies and then some.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the tv spot. Sounds like film about accountants. Turns out it is.

In German it's called Der Plan (The Plan)...

I'm glad Adjustmen Bureau wasn't an Inception clone. There was more chemistry between Emily Blunt and Matt Damon, than there was any care for the characters in Inception, if they all died, so what.

Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Not good... not good at all. The story lacks any momentum. It seems like a Frankenstein monster of a movie that uses so many ideas from so many scripts it has no idea where to go from there. I thought it would feel much better. After all I had fun watching it three years ago. Not so much anymore.

But the score is nice. Mixed extremely low, but this is the only thing that screams Indiana Jones in this film.

I don't want another one Just give me the complete score release and let's forget it all happened.

Karol

It's not done very well in the USA, taking only $20,000,000 to "Rango"'s $38,000,000 on its opening w/e.

You are weak. It's a terrific movie.

Saw North by Northwest with a friend who hadn't seen it before and I don't think I've ever enjoyed it more.

Saw I Am Love (2010). Marvelous. All the passion I was missing from 99% of 2010 movies and then some.

I'm with Morlock, on this one: "Collateral" is a very intense film, only losing its momentum and becoming cliched, in the last 20 minutes. Cruise is very well cast against type, and L.A. has never looked better. A fine morality tale.

"NxNW", on the other hand, is pure cinematic genius, and is my all-time favourite Hitchcock film. Isn't it great, Morlock, when we can recapture what it was like to see a film for the first time, when we watch it with someone who hasn't seen it before? Somehow their innocence brings out qualities in a flm that had laid dormant, waiting for a fresh pair of eyes.

I don't want another one. Just give me the complete score release and let's forget it all happened.

Karol

Amen, brother. Amen.

Caught most of Superman III on tv yesterday (I'm watching movies less and less, lately), first time I've watched it since my teens. I used to really like it when I was a kid.

Man, what a load of shite. Awful movie, rubbish rehashed music and terrible special effects (bar some actually pretty decent wire work). Crap villain and even worse plot. Only redeeming features are Billy Connelly's sexy missus and a particularly devilishly handsome Christopher Reeve, who looked and acted as fantastic as always, as Superman.

But the score is nice. Mixed extremely low, but this is the only thing that screams Indiana Jones in this film.

I don't want another one Just give me the complete score release and let's forget it all happened.

Karol

Then be glad it was made!

I thought it was mixed well?

Legend Of The Guardians: OK, I bought the blu-ray (hey, either you're a Snyder fan or you're not). I was hoping for something a bit more artistic but, in the end, it's a conventional animation film for kids with a Zack Snyder touch.

legend-of-the-guardians-the-owls-of-gahoole-20.jpg

Machete: Sigh ... I was let down by how familiar and ordinary everything felt after 5 minutes. I did like Michelle Rodriguez though.

machete.jpg

Alex

Yeah, it looked great between all those special effects shots and that neat deep focus technique they used to keep the bridge in focus. It's a great transfer to just sit back and take in. I also prefer theatrical version.

Superman: The Movie

On Super 8.

Although that might be overstating it.

I recently got hold of an old Super 8 projector, along with some filmreels. One of them is a copy of Superman: The Movie as it was sold for home viewing. It's a single 400' reel and the entire 143-minute film has been trimmed down to a measly 18 minutes to fit on it. It's pretty bare bones. No prologue. No Zod. No death of poppa Kent. No Fortress of Solitude. No Kryptonite. No dead Lois. No turning back the world. The list is endless. It flies through the film at breakneck speed. But I tell you, seeing Christopher Reeve projected on a 4-foot high screen is pretty cool. Superman grabbing the helicopter gave me chills and Reeves smiling to the audience at the end was great to see as well.

Just a fun experience to see this projected, really. Even though it was cut to shreds. Makes me want to see the full thing again.

Superman III was on TV earlier. Utter tripe, and the much ballyhooed Superman vs Kent scene is laughable. But I couldn't help get a bit emotional when he went back to good against the fanfare and ripped his shirt open.

Superman III was on TV earlier. Utter tripe, and the much ballyhooed Superman vs Kent scene is laughable. But I couldn't help get a bit emotional when he went back to good against the fanfare and ripped his shirt open.

What is it with Channel 5 repeating movies twice in a few days?

Caught most of Superman III on tv yesterday (I'm watching movies less and less, lately), first time I've watched it since my teens. I used to really like it when I was a kid.

Man, what a load of shite. Awful movie, rubbish rehashed music and terrible special effects (bar some actually pretty decent wire work). Crap villain and even worse plot. Only redeeming features are Billy Connelly's sexy missus and a particularly devilishly handsome Christopher Reeve, who looked and acted as fantastic as always, as Superman.

Superman: The Movie

On Super 8.

Although that might be overstating it.

I recently got hold of an old Super 8 projector, along with some filmreels. One of them is a copy of Superman: The Movie as it was sold for home viewing. It's a single 400' reel and the entire 143-minute film has been trimmed down to a measly 18 minutes to fit on it. It's pretty bare bones. No prologue. No Zod. No death of poppa Kent. No Fortress of Solitude. No Kryptonite. No dead Lois. No turning back the world. The list is endless. It flies through the film at breakneck speed. But I tell you, seeing Christopher Reeve projected on a 4-foot high screen is pretty cool. Superman grabbing the helicopter gave me chills and Reeves smiling to the audience at the end was great to see as well.

Just a fun experience to see this projected, really. Even though it was cut to shreds. Makes me want to see the full thing again.

Wow, so strange. I watched Superman the Movie today too. My daughter joined me for everything past the flying sequence, and I think she really dug it too.

I remember seeing that exact Super 8 reel at an old Boy Scout meeting when I was a kid, and thinking it was the greatest thing in the world.

They can put any spin they want on a modern Supes film, but they will never re-capture the warmth, charm, wit, and heart of this Epic film.

I like how Evil Superman wears the same color scheme as regular Superman in Superman Returns.

Coincidence... or is it?!

Betcha the new suit will be mostly black.

Betcha the new suit will be mostly black.

It won't. They screen tested Cavill in the Chritopher Reeve's costume and Snyder is a big fan of a more classic Superman look.

Karol

'Destroy All Monsters'

The fact that the island is called "Monsterland" makes me love this film alone. But there's also Ifukube's music, Akira Yubo, UFOs, alien ladies in glittery swimcaps, and not to mention freaking Godzilla, King Ghidorah, Rodan, Mothra, Angirius, Manda, Gorosaurus, and even Minilla. I <3 this movie.

Somewhere in Time - I enjoy this movie. Sweet little drama/sci-fi. I also dig its portrayal of time travel. The idea that it's more of a psychological thing rather than the usual machinery with flashy energy, slow motion, or random computerized heads and a swamp. The conclusion is also quite devious and somewhat cold, but really effectively gets across the personal consequences of time travel as opposed to the usual altering of history.

The A-Team - ok if u are in the mood for some goofy contrived fun.

Easy A - actually realy enjoyed this one, although it is a bit implausible how someone as adorable as Emma Stone could be one of the 'unnoticeables'. Stanley Tucci is a joy to watch as usual