How well do you know film scores?

indy4

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only got 24. Reading the list I could have gotten about 5-6 more and there's a few Elfman themes I mixed up. I kept typing Batman and Beetlejuice

I always wanted to do a puzzle like this with only JW scores for this site

27/80

33/80.

It's funny how sometimes you can tell the composer but not the score.

Yes, when Lemony Snicket came, which I've never heard, I immediately knew it was a Thomas Newman Score. So, hoping it was from an obscure passage of American Beauty, i typed that in which happened to be the next piece.

There was one piece that was SO familiar. I knew it but couldn't name it.

It was The Truman Show, which doesn't really make sense since it wasn't an original piece of score. It was a preexisting Philip Glass piece. Same situation with Kill Bill, that had no original score aside from small stuff from the RZA and Robert Rodriguez.

35... with a few I should of got, but the pressure of the clock was too much!

Very fun quiz^^

I got 37/80

Was impressed I figured out stuff like honey i shrunk the kids, the burbs, and american beauty. And that I knew lawrence of arabia despite never having seen the movie or heard a score cue (as far as I know) - i think its just been parodied so many times.

But can't believe I missed poltergeist and face/off despite owning those cds

I didn't like how they mixed musicals in with the scores

there's a lot of comedy,drama and pop scores in there

My listening is more concentrated towards epic/Sci-fi/fantasy/adventure scores

there's no way I'd know scores like Rain Man

These are the ones I missed:

Blade Runner

Kill Bill: Vol.

Big Trouble in Little China

The Warriors

The Departed

Cruel Intentions

Miller's Crossing

Major League

Get Carter

The Truman Show

Pretty in Pink

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

I, Robot

Blue Velvet

The Neverending Story

Streets of Fire

Labyrinth

Face/Off

Ladyhawke

Rain Man The Crow

Raging Bull

Arachnophobia

They Live

Brokeback Mountain

Zorba the Greek

47/80

There were a few that I knew I should have guessed but just eluded me (The Fugitive being the worst of the lot). I had no clue on all the 80's electronic stuff though.

I've always been tempted to try something like this here, go through my collection and post small clips as part of a contest. But I don't have the time nor the motivation to load all those clips.

Blade Runner

Really??

My circle of friends and associates find Blade Runner to be highly overrated, as do I. The music never made an impression.

I'm not the biggest fan of Blade Runner music but it gives a very exciting atmosphere to the

rather brilliant movie.

I scored something like 40/80. I ran out of time because I had to get more beer and wine couple of times.

Very funny game.

It works great as some sort of concept album. I enjoy it very much

Me too. I play it very often. It also works great in the movie, I cannot imagine it with different score.

31/80 Better than I expected. I consider my score knowledge pretty limited, so I'm sorta impressed with myself that I kept up with many of the people here.

Blade Runner

Really??

:lol: I didn't know that one either, but I looked at the year and guessed it, correctly.

I got routinely stumped by basically anything from the 50s thru to the 80s. I got a few right such as Lawrence of Arabia, Mary Poppins, Snow White, etc. And Star Wars of course.

The only modern ones I missed were The Incredibles and a few mid 90s dramas I've never seen.

A respectable 43.

Can't believe I missed Avatar and Moonraker.

All the other ones I missed were scores I really haven't paid much attention to, or haven't gotten to yet.

I don't think the creator knew them all too well.

"The Truman Show" cues is stock music used from Glass' score to another film, "Powaqqatsi". Nothing was suggested guesses had to be "popular" ones.

The Austin Powers one is a non score piece by Quincy Jones, not originally composed for the film -- not even from a score, or film soundtrack originally, though used on some.

And, somebody correct me if wrong, isn't that cue from "Starship Troopers" not even used in the film? How can that be fair but to fans who have a copy of the bootleg?

There was another one with a similar complaint, but I can't recall it.

Got 43 and I really wasn't familiar with most of the ones I missed (Pretty in Pink??). It was heavily slanted toward the last 30 years. I think I would have done better if there had been more scores from the 30s-60s.

Now I understand the purpose of the shitty 80's electronic music; It is for the

quizzes like this. Everytime you hear these orchestral beauties like Alien or Jurassic Park

between these generic flops, you get shivers or goosebumps.

Thank you for that.

I only got 24. Reading the list I could have gotten about 5-6 more and there's a few Elfman themes I mixed up. I kept typing Batman and Beetlejuice

This was posted some time ago, but just in case, here is a Williams one: click

Taken from BSOspirit (more trivia--games here: http://www.bsospirit.com/trivia.php)

That was an absolute ball. I was fairly impressed with myself at 46, though (like so many others here) I missed one I was whistling along with. I just couldn't put it together as the seconds ticked down. 2 seconds after time ran out--literally--it finally hit me: Rain Man.

The ones I was most pleased with getting right:

Blade Runner

Kill Bill

Starship Troopers

Streets of Fire (yes, I owned that cassette back in the day)

Ladyhawke (had that one too)

and Crocodile Dundee

I didn't feel any worse for not getting the rest, since with only a couple of exceptions I doubt I would've known them anyway. (I knew I heard a Zimmer in there--turns out it was National Treasure--but how the hell do you tell his apart, anyway? I also knew one was a Bond score, but I shot wide of License to Kill.)

Thanks for posting it. Again, it was a great time.

- Uni

I knew I heard a Zimmer in there--turns out it was National Treasure--but how the hell do you tell his apart, anyway?

That's actually Trevor Rabin, although it certainly has that early-2000s Zimmer sound in spades. I was able to recognize it because I heard the score relatively early in my exposure to Zimmer's sound, so it made an impression on me - although I was already aware of how derivative it was.

36/80

Actually the Bond one was clear to me, but I didn't figure it was License to Kill... so maybe 36.5/80

Also I just KNEW that the one after "Lemony Snicket" was another David Newman score, but "Finding Nemo" wasn't correct (although "American Beauty" sounds very similar). And one of the clips immediately brought up the face of Harrison Ford in my mind... I tried "Patriot Games" and "Clear and Present Danger"... turned out it was "The Fugitive", arg! Shouldn't have passed on the LLL-release.

At least the quiz gave me some more interesting scores to hunt for: "Last Starfighter", "The Crow" and "Miller's Crossing".

"Cool" is just a word, dude . . . The Last Starfighter is far and away Craig Safan's best (though that may not be saying much). At the very least, it's one of the great underrated sci-fi scores of the 80's.

- Uni

This was posted some time ago, but just in case, here is a Williams one: click

Taken from BSOspirit (more trivia--games here: http://www.bsospirit.com/trivia.php)

Those trivias from BSOspirit are great, but does anyone happen to have the solutions. Some of the clips on their trivia I'm dying to know what they are