Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

I broke the news about the piano quartet back in October, when he related it to me on the red carpet in Vienna. I've been waiting to hear it come to fruition ever since.

Who do we speak to to get this (and the violin concerto) recorded and released?

In the interview with Tim Greiving last June, Elfman said he's planning to record the Violin Concerto. It's safe to assume he'll record the Piano Quartet as well, probably to be released on the same disc.

Here's another interview with Elfman about the new piece:

http://netnebraska.org/basic-page/radio/net-music

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I saw the clip on FSM a couple of days ago. Love what I'm hearing. There's even a cameo of the HULK theme in there. :)

Bring on the recording now!

11 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Small excerpt of Elfman's Violin Concerto performance in Prague last year. It also features a short interview tidbit with the composer:

Sounds great! Looks like he reworked the "Russian" theme from Wanted.

Woah, that was really good!

Sounds quite excellent, masterful even.  The slow movement especially seems glorious.  I've never really cared all that much for Elfman, but it seems he is really hitting his stride here.   

5 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Steve, may I strongly recommend you pick up the LLL edition of Black Beauty, if you aren't already familiar with it?

Yavar

Also Sommersby if you can find it.

Yes, but first things first...and the violin writing in Black Beauty for the win! :)

Hoping one of the labels gets around to a definitive Sommersby too, though. And Varese needs to Deluxify Dolores Claiborne.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yes, but first things first...and the violin writing in Black Beauty for the win! :)

Hoping one of the labels gets around to a definitive Sommersby too, though. And Varese needs to Deluxify Dolores Claiborne.

Yavar

Amen to that!

Karol

35 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

He should stick to these kinds of odd projects and just call it quits with film scoring. He's obviously bored with the latter.

I don't think he should quit film scoring, but he should tone down the blockbusters and action movies and superhero things and focus more on the indie fare and smaller films, where he really excels these days. But I agree -- he should continue his concert work streak too. He recently said this was "Part 4" of his career.

9 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Seriously. I may have already said this, but I think this is going to turn out to be Elfman's best work in, well...DECADES.

Yavar

Not sure about that. He's done some spectacular scores in the last couple of decades too. But in terms of concert works -- yes, I think it very well might be. Seems more coherent than the "Serenada Schizophrana", for example, which is his most ambitious concert piece thus far.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This Violin Concerto sounds really good and intriguing so far. 

I've been missing out on Elfman's concert works, clearly. I'll need to seek out whatever he's done thus far.

19 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Yeah and skip his recent film scores, especially Justice League.

Half way agreed. JUSTICE LEAGUE is barely listenable even in my 30-minute playlist programme. But some of his other recent scores for indie fare and more low budget/drama efforts have been superb. In any case, the violin concerto sounds absolutely spectacular! Can't wait for the recording.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Half way agreed. JUSTICE LEAGUE is barely listenable even in my 30-minute playlist programme. But some of his other recent scores for indie fare and more low budget/drama efforts have been superb. In any case, the violin concerto sounds absolutely spectacular! Can't wait for the recording.

After years of ignoring his output I checked out The Circle and was happy that Elfman can still inject personality in the current cinematic climate.

THE CIRCLE was one of my favourite scores last year. Other good ones are THE END OF THE TOUR, THE UNKNOWN KNOWN (my favourite score in 2013), PROMISED LAND, RESTLESS, just to mention some in recent years. The big action things and blockbusters and whatnot have left me completely unimpressed. But he really seems to fire on all cylinders with all these concert works recently. 

Looking forward very much to the new Gus van Sant movie DON'T WORRY, HE WON'T GET FAR ON FOOT that comes out later this year (and what a title!). Hopefully DUMBO too. Although a 'blockbuster'-type film, it's still Burton.

Just now, mstrox said:

Blocked from here - what's it from?

Wait, really?  Are you out of the country?  Or is it a work thing?

It's from the new Gus Van Sant movie with the strange title, "Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot."  The cue is titled "Phone Call."  It's not bad.

4 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

His hearing is so poor he's convinced his awful modern film scores actually sound good. Poor fuck.

Like Beethoven!

Karol

4 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

His hearing is so poor he's convinced his awful modern film scores actually sound good. Poor fuck.

Don't fire all your shots at him yet, in all probability he's gonna be next week's roast recipient!

• 3 weeks later...

Danny Elfman to Score ‘The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle’

Danny Elfman has been hired to score the upcoming fantasy adventure The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle. The film is directed by Stephen Gaghan (Syriana, Gold) and stars Robert Downey Jr., Jim Broadbent, Antonio Banderas and Michael Sheen. The project’s voice cast includes Selena Gomez, Tom Holland, Emma Thompson, Ralph Fiennes, Rami Malek, Octavia Spencer, Kumail Nanjiani, Craig Robinson, John Cena, Marion Cotillard, Carmen Ejogo and Frances de la Tour.  The movie is based on the character from Hugh Lofting’s 1920s series of children’s books about a Victorian-era physician who opts to treat animals instead of humans because he’s able to speak with them. Susan Downey (Sherlock Holmes, The Judge) is producing the movie for Team Downey, alongside Joe Roth (Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent) and Jeff Kirschenbaum (xXx: Return of Xander Cage). The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle is set to be released on April 12, 2019 by Universal Pictures.

I had no idea this movie was a thing.  Robert Downey, Jr. playing Dr. Dolittle in a movie coming a mere 2-3 weeks before Avengers 4.

I really have very limited interest in that.

However, I'm quite enjoying his latest DON'T WORRY, HE WON'T GET FAR ON FOOT, which is my cup of Elfman tea.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I saw someone post it over at FSM. Sounds great; just like the earlier samples we got. Do we have a release date for the album recording yet?

I was so busy, I did not get a chance to hear the Elfman concerto before the video was erased. :(

Oh well, more waiting then.

@Will, I did listen to the ballet.  Some very good stuff in there.  Nice lyrical writing, and interesting use of instruments, notably saxaphone.  Not all that enthused with some of the electronic stuff.  Just does not mesh too well with the rest, for me.