What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I like THE BIG SHORT very much.

The chef explaining what to do with bad fish/subprime loans, is so simple, yet so frightening.

5 hours ago, Bellosh said:

The Big Short (2015)

... I still find it exciting to watch.

I'm jacked. I'm jacked to the tits! :lol:

Sunset Boulevard

I'm always a bit skeptical when I finally watch an a film that is so highly regarded by almost everybody. I'm always afraid that it's gonna disappoint or whatever.

This did not. What an incredible film.

Gloria Swanson is truly fantastic. I only knew of the "I'm ready for my close up" line. So to have a full film as context for it, made that line, make sense of course, but also made it as iconic as it is.

A Streetcar Named Desire

This took me a while to get into. But the performances here are incredible. Vivien Leigh and Marlon Brando especially. Leigh kinda broke my heart and the ending was so sad.

Brando really was handsome, wasn't he. And I felt that in this film everytime he was on screen he was both a bit frightening and appealing at the same time. Something about him makes you not want to look away. Incredible!

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

@JNHFan2000 I'm glad that you're exploring old films too and not just watch current films.

Aren't they great? ;)

What others have you got in the pipeline?

I'm glad you're glad.

I'm having a lot of fun indeed. It's fun to see where certain things come from and to get context to a lot of famous lines etc.

And I'm learning a lot from them. I wanted to exoand my knowledge of films for a long time, so these of course have to be seen to really be able to judge films.

Next few on the agenda are (kinda ashamed I haven't seen some of them. And these certainly aren't the last):

Ivanhoe
Julius Caesar
Around The World In 80 Days
The Ten Commandments
Ben-Hur
The Magnificent Seven
The Alamo
Exodus
King Of Kings
El Cid
How The West Was Won
Lawrence Of Arabia
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Great Escape
The Pink Panther
A Fistful Of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
Born Free
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Romeo & Juliet
The Lion In Winter
Once Upon A Time In The West
Jane Eyre
La Califfa
Shaft
The Cowboys

The Great Escape is a really fun movie

The Pink Panther is interesting to see, but the series really begins with its sequel, A Shot In The Dark

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Sunset Boulevard

I'm always a bit skeptical when I finally watch an a film that is so highly regarded by almost everybody. I'm always afraid that it's gonna disappoint or whatever.

This did not. What an incredible film.

Gloria Swanson is truly fantastic. I only knew of the "I'm ready for my close up" line. So to have a full film as context for it, made that line, make sense of course, but also made it as iconic as it is.

I think I only found it "quite good" when I first saw it, but it's grown on me with repeated viewing. Certainly one of Wilder's best. Waxman's score works very well in the film, but on its own I've always been content with a brief suite.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Great Escape is a really fun movie

And Bernstein's motorcycle music sounds like a precursor for Williams's own for TLC.

30 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Once Upon A Time In The West

A fantastic film with a fantastic score.

Ivanhoe

I liked it, but it's not one of my favorites. Even though it was under 2 hours, it felt a bit slow sometimes.

Though the battle at the castle was spectacular. I'm always amazed at how they do these big action setpieces in these old films. They're really fun.

Rózsa's score was wonderful, especially the love theme.

Julius Caesar

Another Rozsa scored film, although I believe there's much more music on the album than is used in the film.

This, for me, is a film I can respect the hell out of. It's incredible well made, amazingly well acted (the scenes on the staircase were especially great).

But, because it's Shakespeare, I found it a bit hard to follow sometimes. There's so much dialogue that and it takes some getting used to. I haven't seen a lpt of Shakespeare adaptations, so that might have to do with it.

But besides that, great film.

Next up...Around The World In 80 Days

23 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

But, because it's Shakespeare, I found it a bit hard to follow sometimes.

Didn't you watch it with subtitles?

Although, still it's hard to follow. :lol:

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

That's possibly the worst poster ever. 

Hmmm.. I don't have a problem with that. And it's the cover of the blu-ray.

On the reverse it has this that I didn't like:

15773_tn.jpg

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Hmmm.. I don't have a problem with that.

What is there to like? Not only does it fail to be aesthetically pleasing, it's downright ugly. Look again ...

MV5BMzdiY2EyYmYtZjBjMy00NzI5LWI4YzEtMWUz

The photo, the lighting, his hair, that man, the font, his clothes, the whole design, the Hell's Angels ...

But you don't see it? :blink:

Oh, I don't know.

I quite like it. At least it's better than his screenplays for I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK AND LARRY and JURASSIC PARK III.

I've not seen all his films, but of what I have seen, his best is, definitely, NEBRASKA.

3 hours ago, KK said:

His worst is easily Downsizing.

You're right. I completely forgot about that one. Sideways will always be my favorite. Perfect balance & tone.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've not seen all his films, but of what I have seen, his best is, definitely, NEBRASKA.

Need to watch that again to form a better opinion. But isn't it more drama than bittersweet comedy? That goes for The Descendants too, BTW. Sure, the dumb boyfriend of Clooney's daughter was responsible for a bit of comedy relief but I wasn't all that thrilled about that approach. Clooney was pretty good though ... It's just that the story about a husband dealing with the coma and ultimately the death of his wife (who we don't know or care about) just isn't working for me.

Six days seven nights.

Another romance movie I wanted to watch for some time. I’m not quite sure I really like Ford in this role, but he definitely improved/became more interesting as the film unfolded. He’s brilliant when angry or upset, he’s just not my go-to guy for a romcom. Anne Heche is great and Allison Janney is still annoying. Schwimmer’s backstory was a necessary ‘evil’, I guess, but I would still have preferred him not to be in it, though he’s obviously perfect for the character.

The score is very good. Didn’t really like the pan flute, but other than that, I was really impressed. End credits open with half a song and then fade into score cues that fade awkwardly into each other too. Weird.

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Six days seven nights.

Another romance movie I wanted to watch for some time. I’m not quite sure I really like Ford in this role, but he definitely improved/became more interesting as the film unfolded. He’s brilliant when angry or upset, he’s just not my go-to guy for a romcom. Anne Heche is great and Allison Janney is still annoying. Schwimmer’s backstory was a necessary ‘evil’, I guess, but I would still have preferred him not to be in it, though he’s obviously perfect for the character.

The score is very good. Didn’t really like the pan flute, but other than that, I was really impressed. End credits open with half a song and then fade into score cues that fade awkwardly into each other too. Weird.

This was when I wanted Ford to do TONS of romcoms! And I remember that I liked this.

Schwimmer wasn't doing himself any favors (if he had any choice) by playing "Ross, but way less likable" in this era.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Schwimmer wasn't doing himself any favors (if he had any choice) by playing "Ross, but way less likable" in this era.

Heche coming out at around the time of the film's release, didn't help matters, either.

Around The World In 80 Days

This was fun!!!

David Niven and Cantinflas were a nice duo. Both had some excellent comedic moments.

My favorite segments were in London, The Jungle & America. The final action sequence on the train was very well done.

And I was truly surprised by the fact that they gained a day. It didn't even occur to me.

I loved Shirley MacLaine in one of her early roles. I have only seen films of hers later in her career.

Victor Young's score is gorgeous. One of my favorites from the 50's.

The film is maybe slightly too long (the Spain sequence could've been a bit shorter) but it's a wonderful adventure film with beautiful production design and costumes.

For A Few Dollars More/Hang 'Em High - Clint double-bill last night, first-time watches for me with both of them. Enjoyed them both, but moreso the former - hard to beat the likes of Leone's direction, Eastwood and Van Cleef's combined badassery, the quirkiness of Klaus Kinski in there as a hunchback, and Morricone's fantastic score.

Pretty good - it was Eastwood's first American Western. A lynch mob strings him up for a crime he didn't commit but he survives, signs up as a Marshal and then goes after them. Score was fine, pretty standard Western fare to my ears.   

MV5BNjRhNjVlYTgtODZiOS00OTVhLWE4ZTItZjc3

Well, mediocre I'd say and a bit boring. I managed to finish it in 3-4 takes.

If you ask me, it didn't deserve the Oscar for best picture that year.

The Giant and The Ten Commandments, were much better films.

But, given the subject matter, I don't know how it could be better.

A nice selection of 3 sleepy movies for insomniacs: Tenet, Soul, Ford vs Ferrari.

Don't thank me.

:sleepy:

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Soul

As a former music teacher, and forever jazz fan, I wanted to love this movie. I wish the first two-thirds had as much to say as the final third. Quite dull, and what possessed them to go with a Reznor/Ross soundtrack for a movie about a jazz performer/teacher. Wild. Watch Kids on the Slope and try again Pete.

Outside of Onward, I haven't like a Pixar movie since Brave. They seem too married to their "neat concept," and forget to tell an actual story.

3 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

As a former music teacher, and jazz fan, I wanted to love this movie. I wish the first two-thirds had as much to say as the final third. Quite dull, and what possessed them to go with a Reznor/Ross soundtrack for a movie about a jazz performer/teacher. Wild. Watch Kids on the Slope and try again Pete.

So what about Bird?

d393615f62cdc93a55deea72e9d10a3d-1383146

MV5BNDVlMTFkYWUtYTU1NC00ZmMzLThkMGItODhl

Has anyone seen any Kurosawa?

I have watched 3-4 films. I loved High and Low, Seven Samurai not so much.

Last night I decided to watch Stray Dog.

Well, it was a chore to sit through it. I slept in the 2nd half, and I put it again this morning to see it.

I slept again!! Hahaha! Then I decided it was not for me, so I don't know what happens.

I'm sad when that happens, especially for films that are considered masterpieces...