What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

That was the movie that made me want Antonio Banderas to do way more good stuff than he wound up doing.

If only Phantom could have been as good as this!

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

MV5BMDNhZGZiMzYtNzkxNy00MGE0LWE4Y2QtOGIw

Not my favourite Webber musical, but great production values, and a surprisingly good Madonna!

I remember seeing this at the cinema with my mother (yes, that is about the gayest thing ever) and neither of us liked it much to be honest, although I can't exactly remember why. Might have to re-watch it although the stage version I saw at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre a couple of years ago was excellent (and better sung). The Madge movie version was further ruined for me when we went on a cruise with theatre semi-legend Seth Rudetsky* (OK, maybe that's the gayest thing ever) who did this bit in his show about how poor Madonna's singing is in the Evita movie compared to actual theatre legend Patti LuPone (not appearing on this cruise) who was the original Broadway Eva Peron alongside Mandy "Battleship"** Patinkin as Che.

*Aside: said cruise also featured actual theatre legend Chita Rivera, the original Broadway Anita in West Side Story, as well as Ramin Karimloo (played the Phantom in titular musical and the unnecessary sequel, Love Never Dies, and who can definitely sing better than Gerald Butler) who had the indecency to be astonishingly attractive but also incredibly nice. Bastard. 

**not his actual nickname but every time I hear it, I can't help but think it. And yes, I know it's Potemkin, but it's close enough in my head.

Return of the Jedi (cinema)

Have any of you seen this? ;) Good flick!

Fortunately the least Special Editioned on the OT. None of the changes made me feel like I'd been kicked in the goodies. (Well, Darth Vader saying "NO!" was not great.)

I hesitate to say, Hayden kind of worked for me. Then I thought... They should have gone the whole way and given us Ewan. If they really wanted to tie it back to the Prequels, that would have been the way. Pity about Padme, I suppose.

And since this was a legit re-release rather than Fathom the sound was AMAZING. I felt like I was at a real movie.

Decent sized crowd on a Sunday, too. Didn't get many laughs. I remember seeing it on May 25th, 1983 and when Vader picked up the Emperor the crowd went NUTS. Like, Endgame nuts. But everyone applauded at the end and everyone seemed happy to have seen it. A nice demographic of nerds.

There is such a difference in performance when you see it on the big big screen. For the first time I really felt during the Jabba's palace scenes that everyone is kind of nodding and making eye contact significantly. "Everything still going the way we planned it?" "Yup."

I hope before I die I get to see the non-SEs of Star Wars and Empire like this.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

**not his actual nickname but every time I hear it, I can't help but think it. And yes, I know it's Potemkin, but it's close enough in my head.

That's funny.

11 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I love Gerard Butler. :lovethis:

What didn't you like about him? His singing? Or his acting?

He's no Ramin Karimloo.

Wild Mountain Thyme - one of those movies about which you can't quite believe that the cast read the script and still agreed to do it, this gloriously terrible Irish romantic drama features Emily Blunt, Jamie Dornan, Jon Hamm and Christopher Walken making (as we say in Ireland) terrible eejits of themselves. Allegedly set nowadays but (apart from the car designs) you'd be forgiven for thinking it was 60 years ago, 'paddywhackery' cliches abound and atrocious dialogue is delivered in, erm ... let's say wandering accents. Absolutely (albeit unintentionally) hilarious.

21 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I had to buy the new 4K blu-ray by Arrow which is of exquisite quality!

Still 56 Euro! Much cheaper in the UK but the UK isn't in the EU. 

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Still 56 Euro! Much cheaper in the UK but the UK isn't Europe. 

56? :o

Maybe it's OOP? It says Limited edition.

Did you see here?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Last-Emperor-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B0BNBXZ69R

Does it have an option to ship to your country? Because it doesn't ship to mine anymore.

10 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

56? :o

Maybe it's OOP? It says Limited edition.

Did you see here?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Last-Emperor-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B0BNBXZ69R

Does it have an option to ship to your country? Because it doesn't ship to mine anymore.

Wait! It's 38.57 Euro on Amazon Belgium! Free shipping!

https://www.amazon.com.be/dp/B0BNC33361?tag=bstorebe-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=nl_BE

18 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Wait! It's 38.57 Euro on Amazon Belgium! Free shipping!

https://www.amazon.com.be/dp/B0BNC33361?tag=bstorebe-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&language=nl_BE

I'm afraid that's the regular blu-ray release. Not the 4k one.

here's the 4k:

https://www.amazon.com.be/-/en/John-Lone/dp/B0BNBXZ69R

21 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I love Gerard Butler. :lovethis:

What didn't you like about him? His singing? Or his acting?

His singing. And then his makeup. And maybe his acting. But by that point I couldn't tell. (Johnny Depp has been in TWO musicals. Strange world.)

Otherwise I love Butler.

On 24/04/2023 at 1:06 AM, Bespin said:

Watching it for the first time.

20230423_190445.jpg

Lots of nice Vienna shots in that one. The score has never been one of my Goldsmith favourites, but the scene in the abandoned hospital (?) is scored brilliantly.

In Madonna mode again, and just watched this that I've purchased on blu-ray.

MV5BOGQwNTUxMGYtZDA1ZC00NGZkLThmZTYtZmNm

I don't generally watch documentaries, but I was a huge Madonna fan in my childhood and teens. I hadn't watched this since then.

I like that the concert segments* are in color and the rest in B&W.

I think this is not for non-fans. Some obscene segments may annoy some..

*What I wouldn't give, for the full concert of the Blond Ambition tour to have in such amazing quality.

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

My favourite Branagh film, and, by a country mile, my favourite Doyle score.

Did they all have genuine "Oirish" accents? :lol:

I know what you mean, Sweep.

Now that I have lived among Scottish folk for 3 1/2 years, I realize how laughable James Doohan's accent is.

Walken's probably the worst offender ... sentences that begin in one accent and finish in another. 

I guarantee you he torrented an HD rip

God I wish Cameron would finally get the HD master out on disc, well actually the 4K master now

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"I hate that bitch".

Which version, Bes?

giphy.gif

Man. Seeing Jedi on the Big Screen made me think about the movies I would dearly love to see again like that. The Abyss would be up there. Either edition. Some day I should make a version that puts back all the character bits but keeps out the tidal wave and Preachy Cameron(TM). (We get it Jim. Nuclear War is bad. That wasn't a very controversial stance.)

The 2022 Director's Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture would be second.

Lawrence of Arabia would be first. And I'd make my kids go see it too.

28 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You pompous ass. It's important.

So you are talking about additional scenes... special effects shots... not scored by Alan Silvestri?

willy-wonka-gene-wilder.gif

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Lawrence of Arabia would be first. And I'd make my kids go see it too.

I've had the great fortune of seeing Lawrence of Arabia in the Cinema. It was the best 3D cinema experience I have ever had. And it wasn't even in 3D

MV5BZWY5MGQ1NTQtNzkzNy00YTRkLTk2MjQtZTli

An interesting action thriller. You don't perceive it as more than 2 hours that it is.

But I expected more from the man that directed Superman, The Goonies and the Lethal Weapons.

11 hours ago, Romão said:

I've had the great fortune of seeing Lawrence of Arabia in the Cinema. It was the best 3D cinema experience I have ever had. And it wasn't even in 3D

I actually saw it for the first time when they toured the restored print in 1989 at my beloved Cine Capri. While I certainly wasn't dismissive or anything and I liked it, I didn't love it as much as I do now.

You know that a film is bad when the blooper reel is funnier than the film itself, and the outtakes should have replaced the released footage.

Such is the case with ALAN PARTRIDGE: ALPHA PAPA.

I'll go on record by saying that AP is hilarious on TV (especially the masterful "The Day Today"), and radio. In an age of PC, and forced politeness, his particular brand of "no filter" humour is refreshing.

This film, however, missed the mark entirely. I chuckled twice, which, for an AP project, is simply not good enough.

Even a good supporting cast led by Colm Meany, Anna Maxwell Martin, and Monica Dolan, couldn't save it.

I'll revisit it, in a few months to see if it really is that bad, or if it was just me. In the meantime, I'll stick with the TV stuff, where he truly has made his home.

On 02/05/2023 at 10:57 PM, Jay said:

I guarantee you he torrented an HD rip

God I wish Cameron would finally get the HD master out on disc, well actually the 4K master now

It's suppose to come out this year:

https://thedigitalbits.com/tag/the-abyss-4k

The Last Duel

I read the book earlier this year, and while it’s a good book, it was a very dry read. It’s based on a true story and reads more like a collection of sources recounting the events from France in 1386. Although embellished with additional dialogue to make the story more “human”, the movie is no different. And for both mediums, I guess the tone fits the subject (at its core it’s about rape).

The most fascinating aspect about the story from the book - a deconstruction of the actual duel and the preparations for it (including weapons and armory) - which gave life to the horror it must have been to battle in a plate armor is sadly lost in translation between the mediums. It’s much more horrifying in the book, in the movie it feels as your standard medieval fight scene.

The movie has an impressive cast with Adam Driver, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck and is directed by Ridley Scott. Just don’t go in expecting a “fun” movie.

The poster may actually be the best thing about the movie.

1DFE2FD4-C03A-45BA-83F3-7A49D7472FA9.jpeg

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In an age of PC, and forced politeness, his particular brand of "no filter" humour is refreshing.

It's worth noting, though, that the portrayal of Alan Partridge serves more as a rebuke than as a celebration of the character's lack of a filter!

I thought the film was alright but nothing special, in contrast to his earlier appearances. The first season of I'm Alan Partridge, in particular, is one of the all-time high points of television.