Michael Giacchino's Jurassic World (2015)

Sweetmeats

His new main theme is quite good if underused. I hope there's more in the film.

Calling it white bread seems like a good analogy at this point.

I dislike the use of Williams material which clearly isn't integrated well enough, it's a copy and paste job with jarring switches in styles.

I agree. The use of JW's "Island theme"(?) in "As the Jurassic World Turns" comes on with practically no lead in, it's just suddenly there. "Welcome to Jurassic World" isn't *too* bad. I wish Giacchino hadn't cut substantial bits out of the original "Theme from Jurassic Park" for this track though. While I like the tense chord added between the two solo horn phrases at the beginning, the track probably would've sounded better without the choir, which doesn't come through as well as the original (could just be my laptop speakers though).

One of the first things I noticed about the album is that there's virtually no spacing (dead air) between tracks; many of them seem to run together. I actually checked to see if I had crossfade turned on, but I don't. This certainly contributes to the unwieldy feeling.

Because I like hearing what new people have to say on the subject, referencing what's already been said in passing and then going off in their own direction.

But... there's barely anything new in there. That's the problem.

Don Davis did something else.

EDIT: Oh I get you now. I was talking about his usage of Williams' stuff.

Karol

One of the first things I noticed about the album is that there's virtually no spacing (dead air) between tracks; many of them seem to run together. I actually checked to see if I had crossfade turned on, but I don't. This certainly contributes to the unwieldy feeling.

This was the same with Tomorrowland. It's quite frustrating. It's almost as if someone is worried that a persons attention span won't hold during five seconds of silence.

Hmm. I like it. It's engaging both vertically and horizontally, with some deft touches in the orchestration (friction drum, superball mallet on gong, brushes on piano strings--I don't even mind the Pendereckian/Milhaudian choral shouts in track 15).

There's still reservations. i.e. I hate the boneheaded ostinati in the second half of track 10--utterly devoid of imagination. Like something you'd expect a 14 year old might upload to Youtube. When he has the electric bass double ostinato patterns it only highlights their awfulness. Abe Laboriel is a great player and one of my heroes of the bass, so it's a shame to hear him reduced to this.

But yeah, JURASSIC WORLD is better than I was expecting. I'd still place Don Davis's score above it, but this might be more effective in the context of the film. I'll see.

Giacchino should have scored this film way back in 1997 or 1998. When he was unkown and wanted to impress people.

Now, as it happened with star trek, he knows he is going to be shred to pieces if he tries emulating the original composer and rely heavily on their themes. Add to that that he is a more famous composer with a voice of his own, he wants to be faithful to himself too.

Ironically he was going to be shred to pieces either way so...

Well at least Speed racer and his mission impossible scores are great relying on others' compositions.

Shame is that something like the incredibles (99% original music, but emulating a composer style with great success) is still shred to pieces.

There is no way to make people happy.

Hmm. I like it. It's engaging both vertically and horizontally, with some deft touches in the orchestration (friction drum, superball mallet on gong, brushes on piano strings--I don't even mind the Pendereckian/Milhaudian choral shouts in track 15).

There's still reservations. i.e. I hate the boneheaded ostinati in the second half of track 10--utterly devoid of imagination. Like something you'd expect a 14 year old might upload to Youtube. When he has the electric bass double ostinato patterns it only highlights their awfulness. Abe Laboriel is a great player and one of my heroes of the bass, so it's a shame to hear him reduced to this.

But yeah, JURASSIC WORLD is better than I was expecting. I'd still place Don Davis's score above it, but this might be more effective in the context of the film. I'll see.

I suspected you might like it! Glad to hear.

Giacchino should have scored this film way back in 1997 or 1998. When he was unkown and wanted to impress people.

To me, this score sounds very much like it was meant to impress (more of a classical sound, different orhcestration, etc). Just not in the way you all were expecting, apparently.

People don't like The Incredibles? WTH!

I know! A lot of people view it as an inferior rip off of Barry's Bond scores though.

I'm not as knowledgeable on the technical side of film music as most of the users on here, but i was wondering what are the key differences between Williams and Giacchino's action music. Listening to Jurassic World, it sometimes sounds too much like a swing band at points. The action material by Williams in JP is far superior, but i was wondering what are the differences between them in terms of their use of instruments, orchestration etc? I don't know what Williams does right, but it just sounds so much better.

I'm not as knowledgeable on the technical side of film music as most of the users on here, but i was wondering what are the key differences between Williams and Giacchino's action music. Listening to Jurassic World, it sometimes sounds too much like a swing band at points. The action material by Williams in JP is far superior, but i was wondering what are the differences between them in terms of their use of instruments, orchestration etc? I don't know what Williams does right, but it just sounds so much better.

I know what you mean, though it's hard, almost impossible to explain fully without getting technical. I don't know how Giacchino writes, but it doesn't sound he's put as much thought into a piece, on an abstract, compositional level as Williams did for say T-Rex Rescue and Finale. The differences in terms of harmony and rhythm are probably the most profound--the orchestration is easier to fudge, and Giacchino's done an admirable job here (although it lacks JP's stark lows and highs). Williams approach to action is generally contrapuntal--I don't mean polyphony but heterophony--tiny melodic cells and their variations are projected around the orchestra in perpetual motion. And of course rhythm. I think a lot of people overlook Williams's incredible gift for syncopation, cross-rhythms and metrical shifts.

Rambling here but you get my drift.

Don Davis could make Williams' themes sound relatively good (and the finale even sounds vaguely Williams-ish, so good job), but also make sense within the context of his own musical universe. Giacchino? He didn't really do either. I still don't like what Davis did with the end credits (he pulled a Goldsmith Star Trek theme concert/Insurrection version), but everything else was pretty bitchin'. His score is loads better than Giacchino's, although I'm still a fan of his Lost World video game score. One of his only scores I enjoy.

Also Giacchino has an oversized brass section here which could cause that slightly big band sound. And the woodwind lineup is a little weird, which might not seem like a big deal but it reflects the way he writes for the section and how it's not quite the way someone like Williams does.

And I wouldn't necessarily say that Williams does it "better" - it's different, and a lot of people prefer it, but let's not cheapen the way a person chooses to make music to praise another.

Some of his techniques with the string sections for this score reminded me of his work on the first two Medal of Honor video games from 1999 and 2000. But whereas then he created memorable themes and melodies, Jurassic World lacks both in my opinion.

Also Giacchino has an oversized brass section here which could cause that slightly big band sound. And the woodwind lineup is a little weird, which might not seem like a big deal but it reflects the way he writes for the section and how it's not quite the way someone like Williams does.

If the winds were in fours or fives it might've worked. I also liked how Williams threw in stuff like piccolo and baritone oboes in JP and TLW respectively. Those colours gave the scores a kinda Northish quality.

And I wouldn't necessarily say that Williams does it "better"

Come on. Really?

Heh.

Yeah, the winds were outbalanced by the brass in this one, and elsewhere too, so that's one possible root of the overall sonic problem with Giacchino. Really... 3 flutes, 2 oboes, 4 clarinets, and 3 bassoons aren't a good compliment to 10 horns, 6 trumpets, 8 trombones, and 2 tubas.

The crisper sound we're used to of regular brass numbers and regular wind numbers combined is replaced by just too much brass. Seems that Hans is the only one who can deftly handle that sort of thing.

I'm not up to snuff on the technical side of things either, but one big difference I've noticed is that Giacchino's 5-note motif representing (I assume) the Indominus Rex or dangerous dinos in general never leaves the low brass throughout the entire score. Williams' 4-note motif is played by virtually every single section of the orchestra in the "T-Rex Rescue and Finale" track alone, and is much more effective with all it's variations.

Well-crafted score.

Still godawful action music. And Giacchino doesn't know how to put a piano to proper use.

Oh, he sure does... but only in one sort of texture.

Iwataki's recording is not the best either as I feel it sucks a lot of oomph-factor (yes this is the specific scientific term) from the music as it sounds like it was at times recorded through a thick plate of glass.

And I still wish Gia would have come up with better themes for this one. His new "carnivore motif" is ok but I don't warm up to his main themes.

Now that we've made a science out of a fucking 2015 blockbuster score i can safely go back to my current Nat King Cole playlist on Spotify.

You are excused.

Just got to check the whole thing out before I go to bed. Pleasantly surprised!

Will write more in the morning.

Like Sharky said, the best stuff can be found between tracks 11-17. That's what I mean by darker moments.

The main theme would have been good if not for the opening section. Once it gets to kts resolution, I like it. Think I said that before already.

Karol

So are people going to wait until they see the film before putting theme lists together? I guess we can speculate. The obvious ones are obvious, but Owens theme heard in 'Owen you nothing,' is reprised quite nicely. I hear it in action mode at 3:20 in 'Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus.'

Have I got these themes correct?

Love theme - start of track 2
I-Rex / Carnivoire - start of track 4
Park/Island Theme - about 1 minute into track 4

Are there any more themes?

Yeah, but two are very similar. Chasing the Dragons and the one leeakken01 pointed out in his post above. Those two arey favourites. Or are they essentially the same thing?

Karol

Does the Family theme statement (well, I guess that's the family theme) at 01'42 in The Dimorphodon Shuffle (or the one at 02'35 in Raptor Your Heart Out) remind anyone of When You Are Alone? Every time I hear it, I start humming that damn song!

Those are my favorite bits, wish he developed that melody some more.

The main theme would have been good if not for the opening section. Once it gets to kts resolution, I like it. Think I said that before already.

It's that 5 - 5 - 9 - 7 - 5 phrase that's really moving.

E Bm

I v

Wish it was used more, maybe in militaristic settings like how Williams treated the Island Fanfare in Eye to Eye.

3:10

Does the Family theme statement (well, I guess that's the family theme) at 01'42 in The Dimorphodon Shuffle (or the one at 02'35 in Raptor Your Heart Out) remind anyone of When You Are Alone? Every time I hear it, I start humming that damn song!

That's the first phrase of the Island/Jurassic World theme (hear it at 0:58 in As the Jurassic World Turns--the second phrase starts 01:19).

It's that 5 - 5 - 9 - 7 - 5 phrase that's really moving.

E Bm

I v

Yup. It's when the theme gets closest to the stirring nature of Williams' JP hymn.

Iwataki's recording is not the best either as I feel it sucks a lot of oomph-factor (yes this is the specific scientific term) from the music as it sounds like it was at times recorded through a thick plate of glass.

It also doesn't help when you're dealing with Giacchino's orchestrations, as TGP points out. He tends to homogenize a lot of the parts. Like nearly unison brass parts in action cues or block section chords when playing a major thematic statement. It ultimately lacks that more organic quality.

And I still wish Gia would have come up with better themes for this one. His new "carnivore motif" is ok but I don't warm up to his main themes.

Likewise. And that carnivore motif doesn't do much for me either. But the main JW theme here clicked.

Okay, so here's what I've gathered so far. I'll keep adding as I listen more tonight and tomorrow. Only heard the score once start to finish so most likely some mistakes.

Main Theme (A Phrase)

0:00 - As the Jurassic World Turns (Introductory)

1:00 - As the Jurassic World Turns (Grand statement)

2:12 - Clearly his first Rodeo (Comedic)

0:55 - Indominus Wrecks (Mysterious)

0:07 - Gyrosphere of Influence (Religioso)

1:55 - Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus (Emotional)

1:08 - Fits and Jumpstarts (Plan of action statement)

1:42 - The Dimorphodon Shuffle (Quick statement)

0:20 - Chasing the Dragons (Action mode)

2:32 - Raptor Your Heart Out (Quick statement)

0:53 - Costa Rican Standoff (Uneasy statement)

0:26 - Our Rex is Bigger than Yours (Heroic)

0:29 - Growl and Make Up (Resolution statement)

1:40 - Nine to Survival Job (Full Grand)

0:40 - The Park is Closed (Nostalgic Religioso statement)

0:00 - Jurassic World Suite (Fearful version)

2:22 - Jurassic World Suite (Mystery Piano version)

Main Theme (B Phrase)

1:17 - As The Jurassic World Turns (Grand statement)

2:30 - Clearly his first Rodeo (sweeping)

2:26 - Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus (Emotional)

Family Theme

0:06 - Family That Strays Together (Innocent)

0:18 - Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus (Emotional)

0:12 - Fits and Jumpstarts

3:58 - Love in the Time of Pterosauria (Subdued)

0:30 - Nine to Survival Job (Full statement)

9:06 - Jurassic World Suite (Loving version)

Kids Theme

3:00 - Clearly his first Rodeo (Wonderment)

1:07 - Gyrosphere of Influence (Innocence)

0:15 - Nine to Survival Job (Relieved statement)

I-Rex Theme)

0:05 - Bury the Hatchling (Introductory)

2:51 - Indominus Wrecks (Dread)

4:51 - Indominus Wrecks (Tension)

2:00 - Chasing the Dragons (Fearful statement)

3:16 - Costa Rican Standoff (Quick statement)

1:18 - Our Rex is Bigger than Yours (Choir climactic)

0:00 - Growl and Make Up (Resolution statement)

3:38 - Jurassic World Suite (Mysterious choir version)

4:35 - Jurassic World Suite (Action statement)

Dimophodon (Pterosaur) Theme

0:00 - The Dimorphodon Shuffle (Mischievous)

0:14 - Love in the Time of Pterosauria (Frantic)

Owen's Theme

0:12 - Owen You Nothing (Comedic)

0:10 - Indominus Wrecks

0:20 - Chasing the Dragons (Heroic)

11:36 - Jurassic World Suite

In-gen Theme

1:51 - Clearly His First Rodeo (Heroic)

3:23 - Pavane for a Dead Apatosaurus (Purposeful Statement)

0:50 - Love in the Time of Pterosauria (Quick statement)

6:27 - Jurassic World Suite (Tense version)

7:51 - Jurassic World Suite (John Barry style heroic)