Who is the most overrated film composer in recent history?

Ricard

89 members have voted

1. 1. Most overrated film composer in recent history?

• Alexandre Desplat
    • Michael Giacchino
    • Howard Shore
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Other (specify)

I wouldn't really call any of these composers overrated. I feel like most people here are just using that term because they don't like a particular one.

That's pretty much what "overrated" means on the Internet.

But by the actual definition, the only one who really qualifies is Giacchino. He's praised as the heir to the throne. He's just not the only one.

Lol. Sure.

Whenever someone praises his music, you can do a countdown until someone comes along and says "lol, sure".

So, yes, he doesn't get enough credit in my book.

Giacchino doesn't interest me much but in comparison to today's batch of film composers he seems to be rated fairly. On the other hand, if Zimmer has more to offer than I suggest he show it soon since what I've heard not only repels my musical enthusiasm but makes me think very little of him as any serious talent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of him. That was to your inevitable Zimmer comment. ;)

Well, he's leading the poll, so obviously I'm onto something.

Michael Giacchino

Henry Jackman

Brian Tyler

Hans Zimmer

But especially those middle two because of all the inexplicable (at least to me) praise they seem to get at FSM and other places. Not saying I hate these composers, I just don't think any of them necessarily deserve the following they have these days.

Shore's Middle Earth music is rated exactly as it should be, but his other music, while always well crafted, is hit or miss.

That is exactly correct.

Indeed.

Shore's Middle Earth music is rated exactly as it should be, but a lot of his other music, while always well crafted, is underrated.

That is exactly correct.

Indeed.

Ditto.

In order to avoid any possible misunderstanding, here again is my unadulterated post:

Shore's Middle Earth music is overrated, but his other music is underrated.

That is exactly correct.

Personally, I'd like to see a list of who is the most underrated film composers in recent history.

And for me, it's Zimmer. He is living proof that in terms of film composing, quantity does not equal quality.

I'd say Giacchino by a short margin.

l sad gia too. Zimmer sucks so bad that I couldn't even consider him overated.

I'd say Giacchino by a short margin.

l sad gia too. Zimmer sucks so bad that I couldn't even consider him overated.

Ya but Zimmer has a bigger fan base than Giacchino and even I'd go as far as to say John Williams. There's a couple of Zimmer scores I like but over all his material is bland and boring.

I think I vote for Brian Tyler. To me his music usually sounds like trailer scores with some Zimmerisque seasoning. He rarely tries something genuinely different too. But then again I am a guy who prefers quieter, more dramatic tunes.

So, overexposed more than overrated.

The disappointing thing about Tyler is that he's a well trained dude. He could do great scores. He just doesn't get the right jobs.

The disappointing thing about Tyler is that he's a well trained dude. He could do great scores. He just doesn't get the right jobs.

He's good at hiding it. Judging by COLUMBUS CIRCLE, THE HUNTED or DARKNESS FALLS he can produce halfway decent orchestral stuff at Newton Howard level but generic Hollywood stuff it still is.

His Iron Man 3 score is rousing. His Darkness Falls is borderline brilliant. Far better than the film deserved.

Pubs JNH comment is accurate.

I even like his F&F and ENTERPRISE, but you know, this is either pop or competent Hollywood stylings he just does like others before him...there's hardly anything in them that would establish him as brilliant talent..but of course, there are people who said TIMELINE was a great score, so...