The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

They probably know exactly what’s been made public!

COVID removed all of us from the zeitgeist by necessity although it still found a way (remember fucken Tiger King?), and I’ve been very happy to stay opted out of it since, including ditching social media.  I’ll watch Ant Man 3 at some point, along with Mandalorian season 3 and Avatar 2 but maybe not Top Gun 2, with the same urgency as I’ve watched other Marvel things or blockbusters since Endgame (nil).  I find I enjoy it all more when I watch it removed from any of the dumb shit and just talk to my spouse and kid about it and then go do something better with my day.

• 2 weeks later...

The social media reactions for GOTG 3 are online and people really liked it (oh yeah, I know, what a big surprise). They say it's the best MCU movie since NWH. I won't post all of them here because I'm lazy, but you can read them on the link below:

https://comicbookmovie.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy/vol-3/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-reactions-from-us-critics-promise-emotional-if-somewhat-uneven-conclusion-a202965

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Don't give me hope!

You only have to remember that the second Guardians movie wasn't really that good. Beating the latest crop of Marvel movies isn't really that hard to do.

30 minutes ago, AC1 said:

You only have to remember that the second Guardians movie wasn't really that good.

The end of Guardians 2 is one of the best things in all of the MCU.

31 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Beating the latest crop of Marvel movies isn't really that hard to do.

That's a fair point. I haven't re-watched any of them. Even the one's I remember liking. And we re-watched Ultron last week. (I loved Ultron. It's the last time we saw Not Dumb Thor.)

19 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The end of Guardians 2 is one of the best things in all of the MCU.

True, broke me and di not see it coming. So good

"He may have been your father, but he wasn't your daddy". ICONIC

13 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

True, it's a shame that Bates didn't get to finish his trilogy.

I won't be surprised if Murphy doesn't use his main theme. Which would be a real shame

Bates isn't scoring it? What the hell else is he doing?!?

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

It's not really about what Bates is doing, it's more about the fact the Gunn replaced Bates with John Murphy on The Suicide Squad and hasn't looked back

5 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

John Murphy, who is mostly known for 28 Days and 28 Weeks Later. He was mostly retired during much of the 2010s until Gunn hired him to do The Suicide Squad, Peacemaker, GOTG Holiday Special and now Vol. 3

A why do people care about tomato numbers here, I thought we were long past this 

B who cares what critics think, they are looking for different things out of movies than most of us are

C How is 78 considered bad, that means almost 4 out of 5 critics who saw it liked it. That's good. 

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

C How is 78 considered bad, that means almost 4 out of 5 critics who saw it liked it. That's good. 

It's bad for the MCU. 19 out of their 31 movies are above 80%. And 12 of their 31 are above 90%.

But yeah, Tomato scores for Marvel movies aren't usually that reliable given that the site includes both experienced critics for important websites (NY Times, RogerEbert.com, etc) and regular guys from superhero blogs who are impressed by everything Marvel does.

Yeah, but a lot of people do care about these. In fact, I don't think most people even read reviews, they just look at the Tomatometer to get a sense if a movie is worth watching or not. 

Poor Tomatometer ratings have worked against both Marvel and DC in the past. In the MCU's case, Quantumania and Multiverse of Madness suffered huge drops after the opening weekend because of the poor critical reception, and also because other movies with a better reception (Top Gun Maverick and Creed III) came out.

Nobody I know in real life ever talks about tomato numbers.  All people I know care about is if they liked the trailer/commercials, and if any friends/family/coworkers saw it and said something about it.

In my internet life I only really see Alex talk about tomato numbers constantly

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

In fact, I don't think most people even read reviews, they just look at the Tomatometer to get a sense if a movie is worth watching or not. 

True. It's like reading all the reviews at once in just one second! Although it should be said that a very poor score on RT is more helpful than a very positive one.

I believe it was Quintus who once said it's the scores that are in the middle that are the most interesting. 

Generally speaking, and this really is a broad generalization, most of the movies that I really love are in the mid 80's. Some movies in the 90's tend to be consensual to a fault.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Nobody I know in real life ever talks about tomato numbers.  All people I know care about is if they liked the trailer/commercials, and if any friends/family/coworkers saw it and said something about it.

In my internet life I only really see Alex talk about tomato numbers constantly

I interact with plenty of people that use the numbers or will use it as a make it/break it whether they want to see a movie or not. Sure, plenty of people get hyped for trailers and the like, but there are plenty of people that will simply use the RT score to judge, though everyone's tolerance is different.

For me, anything below a 50 and I don't go out and see it unless I was really interested. I'm more forgiving probably than most, but it's definitely helped me weed out some stinkers I've avoided in theaters.

My goodness, @Goldfinger; you'd probably hate THE SWARM, that has an RT of 9%! :lol:

There are many reasons for watching a film, and, for me, whether or not it is certified fresh, is not one of them.

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

"Rotten Tomatoes is good. Rotten Tomatoes is life" - Oskar Schindler

"...All around the freshness lies the gulf".

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

My goodness, @Goldfinger; you'd probably hate THE SWARM, that has an RT of 9%! :lol:

There are many reasons for watching a film, and, for me, whether or not it is certified fresh, is not one of them.

It's still a helpful tool. If you find yourself disagreeing with RT most of the time, then watch the movies that get the lowest scores.

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Michael Scott Thank You GIFs | Tenor

Outside of movies that I watch with my wife because she wants to see them (and I might never have otherwise), the movies I choose to watch are based on a combination of:

• Liking the prior work of the director
  • Liking the prior work of the one of more members of the cast
  • Hearing good buzz from film podcasts I listen to
  • Hearing good things from friends/family/coworkers that have seen it
  • Coming across the trailer and thinking it looked like it was worth watching based on that

That's it

Anyone else also watches movies because you like the composer and/or the score, and wants to see how it works in context? I'd say a good chunk of the movies I saw in my adult life were because of that.

Heck, JNH is the only reason why I bought a ticket to Maleficent in 2014! :lol:

Just now, Edmilson said:

Anyone else also watches movies because you like the composer and/or the score, and wants to see how it works in context? I'd say a good chunk of the movies I saw in my adult life were because of that.

Heck, JNH is the only reason why I bought a ticket to Maleficent in 2014! :lol:

Oooh that's a good one, there have definitely been times I've mostly wanted to see a movie largely because of its score

I doubt I would have seen films like Sabrina, The River, or Stanley & Iris if not for the fact that Johnny Dubs scored 'em

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

• Liking the prior work of the director

That goes without saying, but those are not what I call random movies X's. That means you're a fan of someone. It's only natural that you want to check out his/her next movie.

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"...All around the freshness lies the gulf".

I mean, The Swarm is terrible so that 9% seems about right. 

As far as Rotten Tomatoes goes, I generally use it to decide whether to go out to the theater or not. If its still something I want to see or am interested in I'll watch it, but the RT score basically decides whether I go out to the theater or wait. Even with A List its not worth the hassle, especially during the busy score year.

22 hours ago, AC1 said:

It's still a helpful tool. If you find yourself disagreeing with RT most of the time, then watch the movies that get the lowest scores.

if something wonderful like The Miracle of P. Tinto doesn't even have a tomato number, how can i trust it, how??? (/j)

my favourite way to find movies remains looking up specific kinds of movies, by region, language, theme, genre, and so on. then there's buzz  and retrospectives from film nerds.

Rotten Tomatoes can be quite a deceiving metric in its simply dichotomy between Fresh and Rotten. Some movies end in the 90's with average ratings that sometimes don't even exceed 7 out of 10. That speaks more of the consensual, risk free nature of the movie itself than of the quality of the movie itself.

This was very obvious with many MCU movies, which IMHO, had vastly inflated Rotten Tomatoes scores in relation to their actual quality.

I much prefer MetaCritic

On 29/4/2023 at 11:11 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

True, it's a shame that Bates didn't get to finish his trilogy.

I won't be surprised if Murphy doesn't use his main theme. Which would be a real shame

I haven’t seen the film yet, but from what I’ve heard from the score (which was released today), Murphy uses Bates’ theme once……obviously, not every cue fro, the finished film is present on this watered down release, but that’s still a strong indicator that the theme won’t be used very often. In general, the score sounds less like Bates’ more traditionally orchestral scores for the first two films and more akin to the synthetic, guitar-heavy score from The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker…….so generally less impressive and more generic sounding (to me, anyway).

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Happy (belated) Birthday, MCU.

Iron Man was released 15 years ago yesterday

Iron Man (2008) - IMDb

Good heavens. My daughter's entire lifetime!

It occurred to me last week that after Infinity War that we are now Five... Years... Later.