Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies (2015)

crocodile

Maybe i'm daft but why does Spielberg need the score in spring? Even if he wanted it in the can, with all the means of modern communication he could've signed pieces off while riding a Galapagos tortoise on vacation...

It could be that John's health issues are temporary but recurring, such that his future availability is unpredictable. Which means that he is taking projects on a "if I can do them now basis."

In other words...he's 83 years old and at that age most health issues tend to be of a chronic/recurring nature.

That may be how Peter Jackson works. But not Spielberg.

It's all speculation anyway.

It could be that John's health issues are temporary but recurring, such that his future availability is unpredictable. Which means that he is taking projects on a "if I can do them now basis."

Yeah....

Maybe i'm daft but why does Spielberg need the score in spring? Even if he wanted it in the can, with all the means of modern communication he could've signed pieces off while riding a Galapagos tortoise on vacation...

Exactly my question

In other words...he's 83 years old and at that age most health issues tend to be of a chronic/recurring nature.

Oh snap, I hadn't considered that....

Still, i don't know what recurring illness allows you to do one big score over spring and denies you another much smaller one late summer...though of course it may be that Spielberg is concerned about his fellow collaborator and came up with this solution instead of juggling schedules.

But it surely is a clear sign where things are headed...

Still, i don't know what recurring illness allows you to do one big score over spring and denies you another much smaller one late summer...though of course it may be that Spielberg is concerned about his fellow collaborator and came up with this solution instead of juggling schedules.

But it surely is a clear sign where things are headed...

Hedging bets. I've done the same in the past with employers when my future availability was unpredictable. It's better to book Newman now than to be 2-months out from release scrambling to find someone to step in because you've got health issues. I'm sure just easing out his stress and workload factored in as well.

With Newman flying to London this summer to score SPECTRE, it was either have him score Bridge of Spies now, or have a different composer score it this summer. If Williams hand-picked Thomas Newman, and the film is already in a state where its ready to be scored, then I guess it all just came together.

Now, how funny would it be if Spielberg ends up not liking Snoozman's score, and brings in Williams to replace it this summer :)

I'm sure he'll make movies until he's no longer able to. Could be 10, 15, even 20 years if he's lucky.

And yeah, pub, it hadn't occurred to me this decision could actually be because of Spielberg worried about John overexerting himself.

Hopefully he was just too busy with SW Episode 7 and that's why he couldn't score Spielberg's film

Now I even worried he may not finish Episode 7

Hopefully he was just too busy with SW Episode 7 and that's why he couldn't score Spielberg's film

No need to panic just yet KM. Morricone is older, ended up in hospital last year... and he resumed his tour this year.

They don't make them like this any more. :)

Karol

Why? Williams is booked for a concert in 2016 and slated to score The BFG in 2016. I doubt he would be scheduled that well in advance if he had some serious health issues going on. Plus, he didn't look ill last week. I'd love to see some video of him at that event.

I have complete faith he will deliver a great, complete score for Episode 7. Did you see the pics of him from a few days ago?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25171

Spielberg may finally realize that Star Wars is more important than his films. Too bad he didn't get that message in 2002 and 2005! :P

:lol:

He's still up and about from the most recent images of him after his health issues. He doesn't look gaunt. Barring random accidents or heart attack/stroke type diseases which are more sudden, I think he can finish Star Wars. Generally you can tell when people are in the last few months/year. I don't get that impression here.

You know, we're sort of looking for some big reasons in here.

Honestly, though, it can be only that his family/kids requested that he doesn't overwork himself after some minor health incident. Can be something as simple as that.

Karol

At 83, you have to be very careful about how to spend your energies. I think Spielberg himself told in the Munich music featurette he was worried about asking too much to JW in a year full of other commitments (and that was 10 years ago).

At 83, you have to be very careful about how to spend your energies. I think Spielberg himself told in the Munich music featurette he was worried about asking too much to JW in a year full of other commitments (and that was 10 years ago).

My nan is around the same age. And whenever she's feeling under the weather, everybody starts to panic. She's in great form overall but, at this age, you can't be too careful. I certainly wouldn't want John Williams to work himself into the ground just because he has a film project lined up. He's done enough to impress me already and I treat every new project as a gift. You know, the kind of you don't expect.

(It might be cheesy thing to say, I know. But that's how I see it these days)

Karol

Meh, I'd rather they worked themselves to death doing what they loved, than sitting by a window wanting more than anything else to work and being told they need to rest! ;)

Meh, I'd rather they worked themselves to death doing what they loved, than sitting by a window wanting more than anything else to work and being told they need to rest! ;)

Oh I'm sure he's doing plenty of that... at his own speed. ;)

Karol

Spielberg may have wanted the score for "Bridge of Spies" written as soon as possible so he could make a start with "The BFG". JW did have to take almost a month off with his "minor health issue". For all we know, it could have affected his ability to write.

Well, we all knew this would happen eventually. I, for one, am just happy they didn't go with Giacchino or Zimmer, after all those years of speculation. I actually enjoy some of Newman's scores.

Hopefully, Williams is alright.

Oh, you think JWFan is your ally? I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the real world until I was already a man and by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!

and let's be honest, from what we know of the film it didn't seem like new territory for Williams to do something interesting, so maybe Tommy will deliver.

And Star Wars is? After 6 films?

Maybe Spielberg was fed up with Williams' editing decisions over OST releases after all these years and thought: "Maybe it's easier to persuade Newman to get a complete OST release for this". ;)

The three exclamation points in his mouth, Steef has the Bane mouthguard thing going.

'Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.'

Maybe Spielberg was fed up with Williams' editing decisions over OST releases after all these years and thought: "Maybe it's easier to persuade Newman to get a complete OST release for this". ;)

:lol: