The Force Awakens begins recording at Sony in LA today

thx99

All the LOTR/Hobbit films feature tracked and edited music.

What I was referring to was that it is nice that for TFA, the picture was locked on November 3rd before its December 18th release date.

For one of the Hobbit films, he was still editing picture the day of the Wellington premiere!

What I was referring to was that it is nice that for TFA, the picture was locked on November 3rd before its December 18th release date.

If the picture is locked why are they still recording music?

Doesn't a locked picture mean that all work on it has finished?

Picture lock is a stage in editing a film or editing a television production. It is the stage prior to online editing when all changes to the film or television program cut have been done and approved. It is then sent to subsequent stages in the process, such as online editing and audio mixing. Any last minute changes can force portions of subsequent work to be redone.

pictured is locked means the cut of the film is final. They can still change special effects sound, and music, but the timing of all shots in finalized.

Jason is right though. By this time last year PJ was still filming The Battle Of The Five Armies!

He was still writing the script, you mean!

That's the hardest part! Getting the story elements just right! The actual shooting of the trilogy was done in 4 days on the Wellington parking lot.

pictured is locked means the cut of the film is final. They can still change special effects sound, and music, but the timing of all shots in finalized.

I did not know that.

Good that JJ seems to have his act together

Well, that is interesting.

I wonder. Clearly they've been recording for a longer than usual time. Somebody seems to be making sure that as much of the score as possible was written to the final picture. Does Abrams care so much about the music that he wants to make sure he can get as much final score out of Williams as possible? Or does perhaps Williams care so much about Star Wars that he insisted on enough pickup sessions?

I hope we'll eventually find out while the recording sessions have continued up until a month before the film's release. Not that I'm complaining, of course. The more the music, the merrier even if we may not get to hear of all it for years to come. I think it's a very good sign that Williams seems to be so dedicated to this score.

I expect nothing less than a 3 hour music featurette on the blu ray.

...and a six CD special edition box set with complete score, alternates, rejects, mockups, early sketches and preferably with a Douglas Adams 900 page compendium called "The Complete Guide to the Music of the Star Wars Universe".

I expect nothing less than a 3 hour music featurette on the blu ray.

...and a six CD special edition box set with complete score, alternates, rejects, mockups, early sketches and preferably with a Douglas Adams 900 page compendium called "The Complete Guide to the Music of the Star Wars Universe".

With TPM UE as a pre-order bonus.

Wouldn't it be nice if Kennedy sat down with JW and flat out said "what is it about the prequels you want to avoid with this trilogy?" and he said he didn't want any of his music mutilated in the edit after the recording sessions?

Wouldn't it be nice if JJ is such a devout JW fan that he's as dedicated to presenting Williams' intact musical vision in the final cut and thus had Disney pay for additional recording sessions to prevent any musical edits?

Sigh.

Yes it would be nice.

Unfortunately, in reality, what happened is this: Disney executives sat down with Williams and said "You need to make your score more modern. Add more phat beats. Make it hip. Make it cool. Do it or you're fired"

Alright, dear. I'll add some drum loops to this baby.

My biggest fear is that the final score in the film will be bits of Williams score mixed with trailerized re-recordings of familiar themes by a bunch of other composers

Isn't JJ the guy that had the sound mix of Star Trek re-worked to include MORE of the music? I seem to recall that Ben Burt had dialled much more of it out than we eventually heard and that it was Abrams that called for this to be changed.

Guys, don't worry. Whatever you think of Abrams he clearly idolises Williams and I think, compared to others, his films have treated the music extremely well. SO, what's the betting that TFA will be the first Star Wars film to get a live to projection performance? ;)

Wouldn't it be nice if Kennedy sat down with JW and flat out said "what is it about the prequels you want to avoid with this trilogy?" and he said he didn't want any of his music mutilated in the edit after the recording sessions?

Wouldn't it be nice if JJ is such a devout JW fan that he's as dedicated to presenting Williams' intact musical vision in the final cut and thus had Disney pay for additional recording sessions to prevent any musical edits?

Sigh.

As it was told by Williams himself in the AFM magazine interview last summer, this staggered schedule was planned since the beginning of the process (or at least from a certain point onwards, since the original plan was to record with the LSO in August, btw). It's likely JW received single sequences to work one at a time, so they split the session over a longer period of time. This means that Williams likely had to read the script to have an overall sense of where the story is going.

Of course it's more than likely that in these latest sessions he also recorded revised cues to fit changes in the editing.

My biggest fear is that the final score in the film will be bits of Williams score mixed with trailerized re-recordings of familiar themes by a bunch of other composers

That's utterly ridiculous, even for you.

And you've got enough to worry about with the microedits they're probably doing on the album right now.

It's okay. We'll hear the score soon enough. I still can't believe it's almost here. I thought this time would never come when Williams was announced to score TFA over two years ago.

I can't believe it's already been almost a year since we got the first teaser.