John Williams has a pacemaker!

Well, it could have been worse. JJ Abrams or the producers could have decided that his pacemaker procedure and subsequent 7 week rest period was too much of a time risk for such a high profile production and regretfully replaced JW. That didn't happen. I'd rather JW was replaced on BoS than The Force Wakens.

well, it's funny were only getting "tweets from the podium" and pictures now , but not in the summer

We have never gotten tweets from a John Williams recording session before! Are your suggesting JW has always been ill?

Well, it could have been worse. JJ Abrams or the producers could have decided that his pacemaker procedure and subsequent 7 week rest period was too much of a time risk for such a high profile production and regretfully replaced JW. That didn't happen. I'd rather JW was replaced on BoS than The Force Wakens.

It certainly seems like they adjusted the schedules to allow JW time to recover

Could explain why JJ said there was no music in the film yet; the bulk of it wasn't recorded.

Surely Williams could have just hummed the music for Conrad Pope to transcribe while lying in bed!

Williams: "Dum.. dum-dah-dum.. DUM.."

Pope: "Wait, was that an ostinato of the last obbligato?"

Williams:" No! It was a tremolo! I'm not Howard bloody Shore!"

Could explain why JJ said there was no music in the film yet; the bulk of it wasn't recorded.

Surely Williams could have just hummed the music for Conrad Pope to transcribe while lying in bed!

Williams: "Dum.. dum-dah-dum.. DUM.."

Pope: "Wait, was that an ostinato of the last obbligato?"

Williams:" No! It was a tremolo! I'm not Howard bloody Shore!"

LOL'ing like I know what you just said but really have no friggin' clue whatsoever...

Told you so.

Anyways...

The number one rule with musicians is to practice every day. I wonder what skills he lost in those 7 weeks of not writing.

The Force Awakens is gonna be the amateur hour of Star Wars...

The original press release announcing Newman coming on board in place of Williams simply mentioned a minor health issue.

http://fromdirectorstevenspielberg.tumblr.com/post/113957068040/full-press-release-about-john-williams-departure

Where did the talk of a back problem originate? And he has had back problems in the past, so perhaps his back was acting up as well.

So basically nothing was written/ recorded during the summer and they're doing the whole score now.

You're completely wrong. The seven week period in question was in Feb/March.

The original press release announcing Newman coming on board in place of Williams simply mentioned a minor health issue.

http://fromdirectorstevenspielberg.tumblr.com/post/113957068040/full-press-release-about-john-williams-departure

Where did the talk of a back problem originate? And he has had back problems in the past, so perhaps his back was acting up as well.

Did that come from Spielberg? Or was it is the Tanglewood press release? I don't remember anymore. Are we sure the back problems were a lie? He does have a history of back troubles.

In any case, having a pacemaker doesn't mean you're at death's door. If fact, pacemakers are a reliable means of helping people live longer and are constantly monitored. It would be worse to not have one when you need one. The sky isn't falling, yet.

I wonder if JW wanted Spielberg to reveal his personal business in that way. Oh well.

By the SAME extension, why was Williams' condition initially reported as a "back problem?"

Intrigues of THIS sort, are usually reserved for Robert Ludlum novels and NOT a gentle , artistic soul like JW.

I don't know much, but I do know that a "back problem" does NOT require a "pacemaker" ( like a gunshot wound does not require a rectal exam) but think of the possibilities!

Maybe it was a "Papaya Enzyme Pacemaker" that would have been implanted in Williams' back , reflecting Harrison Ford's Papaya Enzyme Therapy Operation on HIS back, when he stroked out a "compact disc" during that one fight scene in TEMPLE OF DOOM.

Since the pacemaker would be in his back, he wouldn't be able to lose the "back beat" ( either figuratively OR literally!)

(Ha-Ha! Thassa JOKE!)

Also, last I checked, a back problem wouldn't put you on the beach for seven weeks, unless your name was BATMAN and you got your back *broken* by BANE.

I call "Imperious Bullsh*t" by John Williams publicist who should be made to be slowly digested over a thousand years...

and then FIRED!

Wait... your doctor ISN'T meant to give you a rectal exam when you see them for a gunshot wound?

Not unless you got an assfull of buckshot.

In which case, the playing field has been *changed*.

Could very well explain why he didn't look/sound good in those videos introducing concerts a few months ago, and possibly why they're still recording TFA. Seven weeks out of action is a long time.

TFA has hardly anything to do with BoS.

For some damn reason, TFA was scored as the film was being completed for "Lock To Picture".

Or some damn reason like that.

Look it up and quote the sources.

In the old days, picture was locked and the music was recorded in a matter of WEEKS and NOT months.

No matter though.

JW is no longer the "Young Turk" he was, at age 45.

HIS doctor was telling him, not only "Seven Weeks" but a LIFETIME.

John Williams is 83, as of this writing.

With a pacemaker installed, he has only ONE worry.

My dad had TWO-

His heart and diabetes.......

Dad died in 2011, past his birthday, at the age of 84.

Mr. Williams-you have given enough to the world already.

Think about that nice trip to Europe, for once in a row.....

For your information:
Pacemaker implantation doesn't require open heart surgery. The wires are typically inserted through a vein. The wires are connected to the battery, which is implanted through a small incision in the skin. A risk of bleeding persists in the first few weeks after the op. The doctor will advise the patient to avoid heavy lifting and excess motion of the arm on the side where the pacemaker was placed to help minimize bleeding and keep the device in place as you heal.
You grow up thinking these giants are kinda immortal... Obviously they aren't. Nobody is. Let's hope everything went fine. But things are going to be slower from now on for JW.

It still means ONE THING though.....

The reports of a "back problem" were complete BULL!

For your information:
Pacemaker implantation doesn't require open heart surgery. The wires are typically inserted through a vein. The wires are connected to the battery, which is implanted through a small incision in the skin. A risk of bleeding persists in the first few weeks after the op. The doctor will advise the patient to avoid heavy lifting and excess motion of the arm on the side where the pacemaker was placed to help minimize bleeding and keep the device in place as you heal.
You grow up thinking these giants are kinda immortal... Obviously they aren't. Nobody is. Let's hope everything went fine. But things are going to be slower from now on for JW.

Thank you for that info Donna. And yes. It could very well mean that John Williams will have to do less from now on.

I wonder if JW wanted Spielberg to reveal his personal business in that way. Oh well.

Didnt Spielberg go with the back trouble story in an earlier interview?

Either this was a rather big slip of the tongue, or JW wanted the truth to be told. Which would indicate that his health has surely improved.

You try and tell everyone that it was a "back problem" INSTEAD of a "heart problem".

It's NOT a "Slip Of The Tongue"...

It's a TOTAL *lie*

Doctor Crusher has informed me that Williams' pacemaker has been fused into his chest and cannot be removed. However, she believes he is fit for duty, so I've asked him to score Episode VII.

How great is it to live in a time where something like a pacemaker exists? Could have been a death sentence, whatever the issue was, but instead they pop you open and hook you up! A bit of rest, and he's back in action.

Meanwhile, US in the "modern times" STILL haven't figured out how to fight FIRE, FLOODS and REPUBLICANS with any sort of efficiency.

SCREW the 100 mil that Hawking wants to spend on "ID4".

We clean up the dogsh*t in OUR backyard FIRST!

The "Aliens" can wait, until we do....

I've got a pacemaker / defib in me. It's so if I go into ventricle flutter attack and it's severe enough the pacemaker will zap me. That's where the lower part of the heart beats faster.

They actually tried to fix this issue but they said I would have to have been put into cardiac arrest to many times and deemed it way to risky so they went with the option of the pacemaker to regulate it if I ever went into that particular attack.

I had atrial flutter where the upper part of the heart beats a lot faster than the lower part...that they were able to repair by burning away at the areas triggering it with radio waves. But ya Donna is right that having a pacemaker doesn't require full on heart surgery. There's a scar where they put mine in...and every so often you have to have it replaced. Luckily mine doesn't need replacing for another few years.

in this case I hate that my suspicions were true

Why did they lie about the back issue though

Exactly! Why DID they lie?

And Harrison Ford was absent 6 weeks on the Temple Of Doom, due to back injury.

What IS your point?

I guess Steven, for the first time in his life, couldn't wait for JW!

Oh yeah Steven,,,,,,,,You and Johnny on EVERY movie.......except *one*.....

I am just glad the Maestro is doing OK and still happily composing and recording. Age does catch up with us all and he is 83 after all.

The fruits of sitting around and moving just a pencil the whole day.

The secret of his long life you mean?

We re not living in the 1950's anymore, y'know. People now at least get 95. They forget bodily hygiene, what their children look like and are eternally hooked on a 1000 medications - but 84 isn't an age anymore!

How great is it to live in a time where something like a pacemaker exists? Could have been a death sentence, whatever the issue was, but instead they pop you open and hook you up! A bit of rest, and he's back in action.

Meanwhile, US in the "modern times" STILL haven't figured out how to fight FIRE, FLOODS and REPUBLICANS with any sort of efficiency.

I want to savagely beat you with a baseball bat.

I want to savagely beat you with a baseball bat.

I am still puzzled who is this rant prone fellow. Especially when these things he is talking about have a tenuous or no relation to the topic at hand.

They can do a triple bypass and discharge you a day later.

Medical science is amazing in 2015.

They usually do that to get your bed empty for another patient!

"OK, you look like can walk out of here on your own too legs, shoo, shoo!"

How much of a big deal is a pacemaker? I don't really know much about them but I assume it's not exactly a minor thing for a man in his 80s

Although it's no trifle, it's pretty much a routine operation these days. It's not like with Letterman, who had quadruple bypass heart surgery.

I'm thankful that we got some more information on his medical situation, but I'm not going to use the opportunity to join the "he's going to die tomorrow" crowd. He seems quite alright, and certainly in better shape than what my own grand dad was at that age.

I'll continue focussing on his work and his life, and take any serious 'health reports' if and when they come down the line. But I do worry that with each new score he does from now on, everyone will be doing jibes about his health situation. There is a line between being concerned and obsessive about it.

A back ailment was given as the reason John cancelled some summer concerts. I think what happened was some assumed that back ailment was the reason for John not scoring Bridge of Spies. As I mentioned above the press release announcing Newman was on board didn't mention a back ailment. No conspiracy here folks^

Back problems were first mentioned early in the year when Williams canceled his San Diego concerts. They were further mentioned when the Boston and Tanglewood dates were canceled. Conductor Stephane Denève adressed those in an interview, mentioning that in a then recent (late July/early August) phone call that Williams was doing much better and busy at work with the new Star Wars score.

I fully believe the reports concerning his back. On thing does not excludes the other. Last year, I did feel that he had some difficulty getting up on the podium and back from it. Nothing that I wouldn't expect from an 82 year old man, but that when the reports of a back ailment came around, sounded perfectly in place with what I had witnessed at Tanglewood.

Some people seem to think its not possible for a man to have both a pacemaker AND back problems!

I mean - come on!

Some people seem to think its not possible for a man to have both a pacemaker AND back problems!

I mean - come on!

Try having a broken ankle, a pacemaker and heart related issues with surgeries to boot...other wise me. Life can be hell for me at times with my health problems.

Well, that's a big news.

Hope he is okay now.

Does that mean that there will be no more concerts or directing?

Time will tell, but I'm fairly confident he will get back on the podium from next year onwards. He'll bump back, like Morricone.

Well, that's a big news.

Hope he is okay now.

Does that mean that there will be no more concerts or directing?

Now we need two separate discographies: one for music Williams recorded without his pacemaker, and one for music he recorded with his pacemaker.