Giacchino praises Williams

TownerFan

"Many years later, I was thrilled to receive a Golden Globe for my work on the Pixar film Up. One of the first calls I got the next day was from John Williams congratulating me on the honor. As we spoke, I flashed right back to that Christmas, and I could still clearly see that Star Wars album under the tree."

:')

On the verge of another Christmas, 38 years after that first Star Wars album debuted, I am privileged to still call John a friend, and I couldn't be happier to see my other friend, J.J. Abrams, get the opportunity to work with not just my hero — but the hero of a generation of filmmakers and composers.

First of all... when did they became friends? Unlikely.

Can you be 'friends' with a person that could be your grandfather?

Giacchino is overreacting a bit...

On the verge of another Christmas, 38 years after that first Star Wars album debuted, I am privileged to still call John a friend, and I couldn't be happier to see my other friend, J.J. Abrams, get the opportunity to work with not just my hero but the hero of a generation of filmmakers and composers.

Why not??

On the verge of another Christmas, 38 years after that first Star Wars album debuted, I am privileged to still call John a friend, and I couldn't be happier to see my other friend, J.J. Abrams, get the opportunity to work with not just my hero — but the hero of a generation of filmmakers and composers.

lol

So he's lying?

On the verge of another Christmas, 38 years after that first Star Wars album debuted, I am privileged to still call John a friend, and I couldn't be happier to see my other friend, J.J. Abrams, get the opportunity to work with not just my hero but the hero of a generation of filmmakers and composers.

Are you 14 years old? Of course you can be friends with people older than you.

I dont know, the kind of respect you have to adress an older person is not very friendly.

I would never call 'friend' any old dean or professor at the university. Even if i have a good relatioship with them. I dont know if i explain myself...

Anyway i dont think Williams and Giacchino have meet so many times as to forge a friendship. More like an acquitance i would think.

Most of the older friends I have hate with passion being called "sir" or respectful shit like that. It makes them feel old. They prefer to be adressed as your equal, as if they were your age. Particularly women.

I dont know, the kind of respect you have to adress an older person is not very friendly.

I would never call 'friend' any old dean or professor at the university. Even if i have a good relatioship with them. I dont know if i explain myself...

Anyway i dont think Williams and Giacchino have meet so many times as to forge a friendship. More like an acquitance i would think.

Might be just a cultural difference. After all, your native language (just as my own), distinguishes between "you" and more formal "you" (when you address someone older etc). You kind of use the third person. It doesn't happen in English, as you know. And that is a reflected in what is comsidered good manners. Americans and British have more relaxed attitude towards those things, from what I observed over the years. For me, it always felt weird how you call everyone "friends". In Polish, it has a bit more of a stronger meaning and I wouldn't use it to describe someone I know. Just the true close friends. Even on Polish Facebook they you use the term "acquaintance", rather than "friend". Small things like that. But I get what you mean.

Karol

:lol:

But yes, probably just a cultural difference. In English the word "friend" is pretty broad and can mean both someone very close to you or just a casual acquaintance.

If Williams called Giacchino up after he won a Golden Globe, though, then I imagine that they at least have spoken more often than if they just like shook hands at a party one time 10 years ago.

You know what's really insulting? Williams calling JJ "baby". Baby's have no control over their body functions and leave poop everywhere, spill milk, and break things. Is that what he thinks of JJ?

Absolutely true. But maybe he calls him that way in a jazzy Sammy Davis Jr. tone, concealing his true intentions.

They prefer to be adressed as your equal

Particularly women.

This concept is exotic to me. Please, tell me more!

Women here hate being called "Mrs" (in spanish it would be "señora", like lady or by "usted" which would be the formal way of talking to someone whom you respect or who's older) because they feel like people think they're old and here women hate that. They're obsessed with staying young forever -and here in Buenos Aires in particular, there's beautiful, gorgeous women of all ages virtually everywhere. I remember when I travelled to Spain and came back here how hard it hit how many hot women you could see. Like literally everywhere. I have a friend who's around 30 and at some point during the late 20's people in restaurants and such started calling her "usted" (the formal "you") or lady -out of respect- and she got quite upset, which I've seen is really common here.

I hope that cleared it up a bit. If not, I'll try again!

They prefer to be adressed as your equal

Particularly women.

This concept is exotic to me. Please, tell me more!

Women here hate being called "Mrs" (in spanish it would be "señora", like lady or by "usted" which would be the formal way of talking to someone whom you respect or who's older) because they feel like people think they're old and here women hate that. They're obsessed with staying young forever -and here in Buenos Aires in particular, there's beautiful, gorgeous women of all ages virtually everywhere. I remember when I travelled to Spain and came back here how hard it hit how many hot women you could see. Like literally everywhere. I have a friend who's around 30 and at some point during the late 20's people in restaurants and such started calling her "usted" (the formal "you") or lady -out of respect- and she got quite upset, which I've seen is really common here.

I hope that cleared it up a bit. If not, I'll try again!

I was trying to be crappily funny, but I appreciate the explanation nonetheless.

If Williams called Giacchino up after he won a Golden Globe, though, then I imagine that they at least have spoken more often than if they just like shook hands at a party one time 10 years ago.

I think the same. A sensible way of thinking to explain this "friendship".

I think the same. A sensible way of thinking to explain this "friendship".

Giachino is not even the beginning of the germ that starts the butt-pimple to growing on John Williams arse.

The fact that his last NAME is constantly misspelled, should be a sign of that!

And the fact, that GIA-KINO, has not composed anything NEAR what John Williams has done.

Too many "MTV Heroes" and NOT enough *substance*..........

Mike Verta STILL carries the torch, as far as REAL underscore, is concerned!

Skyy, why do you liberally use capital letters for emphasis? People find it irritating. Maybe use italics instead? The capital letters are the main reason people here don't like your contributions.