The Mandalorian SHOW discussion - Spoilers Allowed for all aired episodes

Faleel

I get all that and I'm not saying it was incredible or anything. But I myself try to focus of what I got and what I liked about it. I'm not doing myself any favors by only focus on the things I don't like.

I think this season isn't very cohesive and a lot of things could've been better. And this episode was a bit weird but I enjoyed it for what it was. I just share a few thought and try to keep it positive. It's fine if people want to focuse on the other stuff, because it's there, but personally I'm done with that.

It's entertainment. It entertained me. And sometimes that's all I need.

And fine if anyone feels differently. That's what opinions are for

Haven't seen episode 6 yet but I'm loving this season!  It's everything I wanted out of Star Wars when I was younger.  What they're doing on this show is way better than what they did with the sequel movies

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

At any rate, I appreciate that you understand where I’m coming from and admire you didn’t get super defensive even when I was very harsh and blunt.

Well, thank you.

Of course I get your point and I'm always open to having discussions about things as long as it remains civil.

I was having a rough morning and then your comment landed completely wrong. I still don't agree with you 100% (I didn't like very large parts of Andor), but that's fine.

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Well, thank you.

Of course I get your point and I'm always open to having discussions about things as long as it remains civil.

I was having a rough morning and then your comment landed completely wrong. I still don't agree with you 100% (I didn't like very large parts of Andor), but that's fine.

Yeah, I apologise. I wouldn’t have taken that well myself even if I was in a good mood. Easy to forget there’s just some poor human also trying to do their best in the world on the other side

Had a number of other instances where my complete lack of tact worked counter to my intentions so I’m going to endeavour to be more patient and understanding in the future, because ultimately that’s the better way to get people to listen

Hm. 

Watched the new episode yesterday and it particularly felt like I could expect the Guardians of the Galaxy to walk through the door the next minute.

Despite all the struggles Mando and Bo seemed to have a great time while walking through the scenery. If there was anything that worried them in front of the events and the seriousness of their mission to win back the other Mandalorians, they didn't show. 

The seriousness and the cinematic scale of the staging of the previous episodes was gone. The actors looked like at the first rehearsal of their scenes. Again another "we have a Star Wars license, good actors, some script and a lot of money, so let's have fun" episode like in many of the previous seasons. I hoped that we already got over this. 

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Again another "we have a Star Wars license, good actors, some script and a lot of money, so let's have fun" episode like in many of the previous seasons. I hoped that we already got over this. 

That's not a bug, it's a feature.

I saw S03E06. Not great, but I think I have to realize (again) that this isn’t made for me. I am a 40 year old man who loves sci-fi and movies, but there’s stuff out there with different target groups. Apart from S01, Mandalorian now reminds me of the shows that used to be on in the afternoon, aimed at teens coming back from school, just hanging out, waiting for mom to serve up dinner. And that’s fine. I can see that - for what it is - Mandalorian surely isn’t made without intent. And I will try to enjoy it for what it is.

I think the greatest obstacle the show has is it’s lack of a clear plot. As it is now it kind of rambles on aimlessly. I have a hard time caring for anything they do, or whether it matters if they succeed or not?

What is the goal of their actions? Why does it matter? What are the stakes here again?

I’d say Mandalorian has turned into a premium version of Xena The Princess Warrior rather than actual golden age television. It’s harmless, all filler over substance. Shiny but not much to dig into.

At least they didn’t say “This is the way” in this one, as I find that they use that saying a bit arbitrarily. And then they look at each other and nod. Ugh.

24 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I think the greatest obstacle the show has is it’s lack of a clear plot. As it is now it kind of rambles on aimlessly. I have a hard time caring for anything they do, or whether it matters if they succeed or not?

That's right. In the meantime there are so many open plotlines, particularly hard to remember. 

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

I saw S03E06. Not great, but I think I have to realize (again) that this isn’t made for me. I am a 40 year old man who loves sci-fi and movies, but there’s stuff out there with different target groups. Apart from S01, Mandalorian now reminds me of the shows that used to be on in the afternoon, aimed at teens coming back from school, just hanging out, waiting for mom to serve up dinner. And that’s fine. I can see that - for what it is - Mandalorian surely isn’t made without intent. And I will try to enjoy it for what it is.

What is the goal of their actions? Why does it matter? What are the stakes here again?

I’d say Mandalorian has turned into a premium version of Xena The Princess Warrior rather than actual golden age television. It’s harmless, all filler over substance. Shiny but not much to dig into.

At least they didn’t say “This is the way” in this one, as I find that they use that saying a bit arbitrarily. And then they look at each other and nod. Ugh.

The problem is, that’s not what the show presents itself as, otherwise it wouldn’t feel so off and uncanny to me

This is currently a substitute for the movies, this is meant to be blockbuster Star Wars for a wide target audience and so must carry those expectations. That includes…a coherent script and characters you can be invested in, at the bare minimum, as well as world class visuals of which this show is certainly not consistently delivering

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

Mandalorian now reminds me of the shows that used to be on in the afternoon, aimed at teens coming back from school, just hanging out, waiting for mom to serve up dinner

That's exactly what the show is, yes.

I think what really got me scratching my head while watching was the point of the droid mystery and what they were trying to say with it. Was it bad that the people had an reliance on them? Was Din's behaviour justified? And the continue trouble of droid sentience. I weirdly care a lot about all the droids and always get sad when one dies or gets mistrited, even more when it's for a joke and they're begging not to die.

So this episode dove into a droid conspiracy, but in the end... it was kind of underwhelming, I guess a Droid Rebellion would have been more what I wanted. The other thing really was the abrupt detour from the main plot, literally a few miles from them, it was never this abrupt in any other episode and it broke the flow. I'll probably enjoy it more with a rewatch.

There are so many weird things in the show right now. The weird cameos (especially Lizzo and Jack Black… talk about being taken out of the story!) and the actors throwing a rubber puppet baby Yoda around pretending that it’s “real” (makes me chuckle and cringe equally).

I have no problem with multiple plot lines - if anything I think that’s a sign that the creators are aiming for something more mature - but I think the plot lines are hard to care about because the characters’ motivations aren’t clear. What have they set out to do? Why? What are the consequences if they fail?

Mando

I don’t even know what his MO is now? He’s not a bounty hunter anymore, that’s for sure. Just to raise Grogu, maybe, so he’s a full time dad?

Bo-Katan

She clearly wants to rule Mandalore, and a secondary goal is to unite the Mandalorians (?). But each time we see the Mandalorians, they all seem to be doing fine. There’s no suffering, no oppression, no forced labor or starvation. The group hanging out on Plazir all seemed to be in good shape and good spirits, they almost looked ready to have a bbq-party, so what exactly is the urgency?

The Coruscant plotline

I can’t even remember the names of the characters, but who exactly are we supposed to be rooting for? The guy who got brainwashed? The secret agent? Or is it just subtext for the sequel trilogy?

12 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

I think what really got me scratching my head while watching was the point of the droid mystery and what they were trying to say with it. Was it bad that the people had an reliance on them? Was Din's behaviour justified? And the continue trouble of droid sentience. I weirdly care a lot about all the droids and always get sad when one dies or gets mistrited, even more when it's for a joke and they're begging not to die.

So this episode dove into a droid conspiracy, but in the end... it was kind of underwhelming, I guess a Droid Rebellion would have been more what I wanted. The other thing really was the abrupt detour from the main plot, literally a few miles from them, it was never this abrupt in any other episode and it broke the flow. I'll probably enjoy it more with a rewatch.

They really did just end up making Din Djarin racist for this episode, especially jarring given those kinds of traits he shed as a result of his positive experiences with droids. I get there's a lingering resentment for the specific kind of droids that killed his family but it comes off as childish, especially because he deliberately disparages all droids in the episode

8 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

They really did just end up making Din Djarin racist for this episode, especially jarring given those kinds of traits he shed as a result of his positive experiences with droids. I get there's a lingering resentment for the specific kind of droids that killed his family but it comes off as childish, especially because he deliberately disparages all droids in the episode

Good grief.

6 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I guess that one pirate guy (Vane? Vain?) ran away so he could be the villain in Skeleton Crew.

I was hoping Mando would have caught up to him later and blow him out of the sky...oh well. 

The latest episode.....WTF!?!?

All of a sudden, the show takes a turn into comedy camp. I mean, there have always been those bizarro, campy elements in the STAR WARS films (for example, I dug Grogu cuddling those tiny mechanic creatures in a previous episode), but usually organically integrated, not a consistent tone shift like this (except maybe the Holiday Special).

That opening with the two fish lovers with an awkward, British accent. Jack Black being Jack Black. That gal who played the queen (I have no idea who she is; someone imported from the pop world?), who clearly couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. Christopher Lloyd overacting like there's no tomorrow (fine for Doc Brown, not here). That clunky robot bar. A side quest that felt totally random, and inserted as if to stretch out time. No, this was all just bizarre from beginning to end.

I'm still not sold on Bryce Dallas Howard as a director and that she has her father's talent.

But anyways....still a fan of the show, and I'm hopeful it'll kick back in its original tone gear in the next episode.

The Mandalorian 3x06 Guns for Hire

I loved this! 

The opening with Bo's former crew collecting a bounty on a Romeo and Juliet esque situation for the Mon Calamari was fun.  The sidequest that takes up the bulk of the episode was fun too!  I really enjoyed Jack Black and Lizzo and the planet's rulers;  Jack Black's character was a nice juxtaposition of how he is treated as a former Imperial, compared to how Dr. Pershing was.  Lizzo adoring Grogu was so cute, and the way he helped her cheat at that game was funny.

I really liked that they were given this fun mystery to solve, it's just too bad it was so quick to get through, not really any time for red herrings or dead ends, just a few clues to the answer.  I thought it was kind of funny that Bo had to go through that whole big action and chase scene with no helmet, when it would have really been handy to have one, but I guess it doesn't make sense to just carry it around.

Christopher Lloyd's character was pretty interesting.  It was nice to bring the idea that there are still Separatists out there who don't like the New Republic just as much as they didn't like the Old Republic either.  I am positive he'll be back at some point in some "reprogramming droids" capacity; For one they sent him to exile on some moon instead of having him executed, for another there's the dangling thread of how Din wants to reprogram IG-11 too.  Maybe Gideon's new plan will involve droid reprogramming since he doesn't have a clone scientist any more?

The droid bar was fun, I liked how some of them were commiserating about humans taking their jobs :lol: The idea that droids could be reprogrammed by sneaking nanodroids into their maintenance fluid was kind nifty.  I'm sure that'll come up again.

The ending where Bo becomes the leader again of her old crew as also good.  The fight was fun, but then Din saying she already earned the darksaber by defeating a creature that had defeated him was something I had been wondering about since it happened.  I guess he was just waiting to talk about it until the time was right?

Can't wait to see where the final 2 episodes of the season take us!

I'm surprised people here don't know who Lizzo is.  Her first single was a massive hit and has been in a ton of movies

I think I'm glad I don't know who Lizzie is. I wear my lack of knowledge on contemporary chart hits as a badge of "old geezer" honour! But thanks for the info. As expected, then. A bit like that redheaded pop bloke in GAME OF THRONES.

That was superb.  I had so much fun with this episode.  The droid bar was a wonderful theater of the absurd.   Give me Star Wars bots and I’m happy. 

I loved how the monorail speeding through the domed city was a nod to Logan’s Run. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I didn't even mention the Ugnauts, which was cool too. 

But how did some one one planet know who Kuill was? Is he famous? 

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I assume either

1: all ugnauts know eachother

2: they don't know him, but they know of him

3: they don't know him at all, but he mentioned a ugnautian name, and in Ughnaut formalities.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'd have to watch the scene again, but I think what caught their attention was more that he knew any ugnaught, not necessarily Kuill specifically.

Chapter 23 x The Spies

Moff Gideon is back!! So happy. Giancarlo Esposito is soo good. And not only that, but Grand Admiral Thrawn has been mentioned and I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up next week.

The hallway he walked through was interesting and I hope we get to see what's in those glass boxes. It's been teased enough, let's see what's in there. (I think he kinda explained at the end of the episode, but if it are multiple versions of him, I want to see that).

The "Shadow Council" was like the Rebels but then with Empire. A group of people fighting against their enemy.

IG-11, or should I say IG-12. I thought it was a great idea to let Grogu be the one to control him. It was very funny as well. The whole thing with the "yes and no" button made me laugh out loud. But this way he is more mobile, so he can be a bigger part of scenes, which I think is a good choice. And he did later with the fight between the 2 men. I really love it.

I'm also glad to get a bit more backstory on what happened to Mandalore and Bo-Katan. Although it would've been nice to actually see it. How Gideon betrayed Bo-Katan etc. 

The 2nd half of the episode was absolutely spectacular! I loved everything. The whole fight with the Troopers. Then Din getting captured and Gideon arriving in a Mandalorian armor of himself. That was all fantastic.

Then the final moments where Paz Visla sacrificed himself. I kinda saw it coming when Bo-Katan used the Darksaber to cut through the back door. But his final moments were soo cool. He went out like a boss. I loved how his gun got red and eventually died and he took the rest of the troopers out in hand to hand combat.

But I was shocked to see those guards in the red armour. Are those the same that were Snoke's guards in The Last Jedi? Because they really looked it. It was brutal the way all 3 put their blades in him. I loved it!

Shirley's music this episode was incredible again. Last week was indeed a bit less, but he came back this episode.

The Mandalorians arriving on Navarro, Bo-Katan's story about Mandalore and then the whole battle. With great arrangement of Mando's theme and Gideon's theme.

Plus, a newly arranged version over the end credits. Volume 2 can't come soon enough.

I'm even more excited for next week then I already was. I hope we get some cool fights where Gideon is in the fight himself.

38 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

But I was shocked to see thise guards in the red armour. Are those the same that were Snoke's guards in The Last Jedi? Because they really looked it. It was brutal the way all 3 put their blades in him. I loved it!

It appears these are what would become Snoke's guards, yes. They're basically busy cooking him in those vats, aren't they?

I suspect people are going to adore this episode in particular but apart from some interesting setups for things outside of the show like the Imperial Remnant shadow council, there's really not a lot to this episode and a lot of the choices made were pretty baffling

Just some questions that got stuck in my craw whilst watching this:

• Why did a giant creature show up only for the purpose of getting them to go in the direction they were already going
  • Why did Paz Viszla want to fight someone to death because he lost at chest like some kind of man child
  • Why does Gideon want Din Djarin alive (that may yet be answered but it's still a bit hmm)
  • Why did Grogu do nothing when Din was being bound and captured (where even is he now? What side of the door he was on, the editing was kind of confusing). Does Gideon still want Grogu?
  • Why are they letting a literal child pilot a mech. Din is now tied with Gendoh Ikari from Evangelion as worst Dad

Paz Viszla's sacrifice was pointless storytelling wise. They've done absolutely nothing to get you to care about the character in that way, prior to this he's been a constant obstacle for Din except for when he inexplicably changes his mind because one of his associates saved his son who he only remembered having right at the end of the episode, and generally characterized as unlikeable since he's short-tempered to the point of being childish and constantly antagonistic.

As a positive, it was nice to see Captain Pellaeon, Thrawn's right hand man from the original Thrawn Trilogy. The casting was spot on, I recognised him immediately, and the portrayal so far is authentic. Although again it's just making me more interested in a different show, Ahsoka, than the actual show I'm watching.

2 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

1. Why did a giant creature show up only for the purpose of getting them to go in the direction they were already going
  2. Why did Paz Viszla want to fight someone to death because he lost at chest like some kind of man child
  3. Why does Gideon want Din Djarin alive (that may yet be answered but it's still a bit hmm)
  4. Why did Grogu do nothing when Din was being bound and captured (where even is he now? What side of the door he was on, the editing was kind of confusing). Does Gideon still want Grogu?
  5. Why are they letting a literal child pilot a mech. Din is now tied with Gendoh Ikari from Evangelion as worst Dad

1. Probably a set up to it probably appearing more next episode. Maybe Bo riding it?

2. It escalated, but the 2 tribes were against itself. The chess game was only the excuse to start the fight. As Bo said, it was bound to happen at some point, for any dumb reason.

3. Yeah, there is probably a reason for that.

4. He was behind the door, with Bo. And Gideons apperentely didnt see him. Probably thinks that he is with Luke. Grogu will be important for Din's rescue.

5. Who cares? It was cool as hell.

4 minutes ago, saulocf said:

5. Who cares? It was cool as hell.

Literally everything wrong with this show is because this is the mentality that it is being written with. To me at least, things are only cool when they're earned and don't take me out of the thing by having me realize how it was all a result of incredibly poor decisions

24 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Literally everything wrong with this show is because this is the mentality that it is being written with. To me at least, things are only cool when they're earned and don't take me out of the thing by having me realize how it was all a result of incredibly poor decisions

Grogu is safer with an armor tho. If he had the armor back on episode 2, he’d be able to save Din by himself.

1 minute ago, saulocf said:

Grogu is safer with an armor tho. If he had the armor back on episode 2, he’d be able to save Din by himself.

He's a toddler in a dangerous robot body that in the episode demonstrates how impulsive and irrational he will act in said thing. If Din was a responsible parent he wouldn't have taken him with him to an active battlefield at all

6 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I'd love to know the mecha anime that puts literal babies in mechs lol

for a literal baby, see the prologue episode for Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury, from last year. But generally it's teens, and either it's really dumb, or it serves some purpose.

9 minutes ago, Brónach said:

for a literal baby, see the prologue episode for Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury, from last year. But generally it's teens, and either it's really dumb, or it serves some purpose.

Gonna go with option A here

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:
  • Why did Paz Viszla want to fight someone to death because he lost at chest like some kind of man child

He only volunteered after Wolfe did. So my guess is that he was just making an excuse, they did stare for a while when they arrived in Nevarro.

My biggest gripes with this episode were the lack of Spies in an episode called The Spies (Who are them? Where they live?) and why Bo didn't use the Darksaber until it was too late... Gideon didn't even saw her, she could be cutting that door in the meantime, or just use it to cut the other door to save Din, they would have to open the door to shoot them, so a path would be open either way.

Finally finding out some big plot points was cool, Bo's surrender and Gideon's plans, the visuals were great, the music too, I'm excited watching it, but I'm just not really feeling it after it's done, I guess the intended effect they tried here was the same as the penultimate of Season 1, Grogu captured = Din captured, Kuil dies = Paz dies, Team cornnered by Gideon = Mandos cornered by Gideon, same arrangment for the credits as that episode as well.

I was amazed when pellaeon was mentioned

he didnt even appear in rebels!

Is it me or is the disney era more obvious (even) in their desire to sell action figures? It seems they just make designs for it (IG-Grogu) sheesh almost every character has several alternate appearances…

man I buy Tech and the next week he dies. I just got a package with paz vizsla today…. I tought he was going to be more important after he seemed to be on dinndjarin side this time…