The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

Well, I assume most people don't know him because he was a Greek actor, but Spiros Focas died today at the age of 86.

He had a kind of international career, with most notable roles in Rocco and his Brothers, The Jewel of the Nile, and Rambo III.

MV5BZTFiNzdhMzMtOWQ2Ny00ZTI4LWIzNTktYmRi

fokas-rambo.jpg?fit=800,523&ssl=1

MV5BYjlmMzU1NzItZjI0NS00ZWEyLWFmODctYzRi

I didn't post the other day but Star Trek pilot director (among LOTS of other things) Robert Butler passed away.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/robert-butler-dead-batman-star-trek-hill-street-blues-1235644907/

I had no idea he created Remington Steele! I LOVED that show.

The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite Star Wars poster of all time.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

RIP Roger Kastel.

Fun fact: Though the shark in the movie is a great white, Kastel used a mako shark at the American Museum of Natural History in New York as his model for the painting, which was created for the paperback edition of the novel. The mako's long, knife-like teeth certainly look more menacing.

Here's one of Kastel's photos...

image.jpeg

Thats a photo of an actual shark he took?? Awesome!

1 hour ago, Omen II said:

“Dip-lo-matic immunity!”

I had to look him up, but yeah, most moviegoers on this side of the Atlantic will remember him as the "Diplomatic immunity!" guy in Lethal Weapon 2.

On 15/11/2023 at 2:34 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

RIP Roger Kastel.

Fun fact: Though the shark in the movie is a great white, Kastel used a mako shark at the American Museum of Natural History in New York as his model for the painting, which was created for the paperback edition of the novel. The mako's long, knife-like teeth certainly look more menacing.

Here's one of Kastel's photos...

image.jpeg

I love this photo. First time I saw it, a chill went down my spine to think that the monstrous image in that iconic poster actually lived for real. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to hear it. Him in Barry Lyndon was perfect casting.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

R.I.P, CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM.

Sad to see it go. One of the few comedies that had me in stitches, which is funny cuz I never cared for 'Seinfeld', and found the characters just off-putting and obnoxious...but Larry David as "himself" was somehow endearing despite his obnoxiousness. And I loved how the show tackled difficult or controversial topics with humour that exposed the silly side.

Damn. Such a great show. I had somehow pictured this going on forever, or for as long as Larry David had it in him. Oh well, at least there's a final season to look forward to, as well as many rewatches of the whole thing. :(

Hayao Miyazi can say he's retiring 4 times and then make another movie, I wouldn't put it past Larry to make another season.  He's 6 years younger than Miyazaki, too!

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Damn. Such a great show. I had somehow pictured this going on forever, or for as long as Larry David had it in him. Oh well, at least there's a final season to look forward to, as well as many rewatches of the whole thing. :(

Curb is one of the most rewatchable sitcoms in history. There’s so much to unpack again and again.

“I wake up every morning at nine and grab for the morning paper. Then I look at the obituary page. If my name is not on it, I get up.”

– Benjamin Franklin

RIP Kenpachiro Satsuma, the Godzilla suit actor in 1984's The Return of Godzilla and the Heisei-era films.

image.jpeg