Star Wars Disenchantment

John

Here we go again...

On 03/05/2023 at 5:52 AM, Chen G. said:

That "some things are stronger than blood."

Except if you're a Skywalker: in that case you get a get-out-of-jail-free-card for multiple war crimes.

In Star Wars, what things are implied to have been stronger than blood? Do you agree with this sentiment?

Which Skywalkers? What war crimes? What is the 'get-out-of-jail-free-card' you speak of?

On 21/12/2019 at 6:57 PM, Chen G. said:

There is no Skywalker Saga, as such.

There’s a six-film series (plus a few spinoffs) that tells of a struggle between the two sides of The Force, with two members of the Skywalker family, Anakin and Luke, thrust into its midst. It’s haphazard in its overall storytelling and in quite a few of its entries (particularly those relating to Anakin), but it’s still an enjoyable and, on-the-whole, cohesive film series.

Then there are three more films just ‘cause.

Why do you say the six-film series is on-the-whole cohesive? What story did it tell? What was its purpose to have been made and shared with the world? Since Star Wars is, by definition, an allegory, what do you think were George Lucas' intended moral and political takeaways?

Why don't you consider Episodes VII, VIII, and IX as part of the "series"?

We'll continue without you, then.

@Chen G., I think you're smart enough to know that being well read doesn't necessarily yield an astute - or objectively correct - understanding of Star Wars.  I liken your snobby stance to the countless Star Wars fans around the world who think their passion or high number of film viewings means they 'get it'... certainly better than 'the new Lucasfilm'.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. One either has a firm grasp of the story as George Lucas intended - and how Lucasfilm have progressed and will, eventually, complete - or one does not.  (Time will tell.)

My questions are open to everyone, of course.

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

It was inevitable... It is our destiny.

image.jpeg

Wow, ol' Mattris really let himself go!

9 hours ago, Mattris said:

@Chen G., I think you're smart enough to know that being well read doesn't necessarily yield an astute - or objectively correct - understanding of Star Wars. 

Good grief. Another person with their "objective" opinions. 

tumblr_nlzzcpuUye1s9362xo1_1280.gif

I'm not denying anyone's opinion. I'm stating that an objectively correct interpretation of the story exists, designed by George Lucas and continued by Lucasfilm.

21 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I'm not denying anyone's opinion. I'm stating that an objectively correct interpretation of the story exists, designed by George Lucas and continued by Lucasfilm.

Which is the objectively correct interpretation? The one you have today, or the one you had a few years ago when you said Kathleen Kennedy & Rian Johnson didn't know what they were doing, making it up as they went along and were ruining Star Wars?

Just in case someone asks me what the objectively correct interpretation of Star Wars is at a dinner party, I want to be sure I have it right.

Just now, Nick1Ø66 said:

Just in case someone asks me what the objectively correct interpretation of Star Wars is at a dinner party, I want to be sure I have it right.

Yeah, something tells me Mattris isn't exactly one for dinner parties...

30 minutes ago, Mattris said:

An interpretation is also an opinion.

9 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

The one you have today, or the one you had a few years ago when you said Kathleen Kennedy & Rian Johnson didn't know what they were doing, making it up as they went along and were ruining Star Wars?

You've been paying too much attention. 

40 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

An interpretation is also an opinion.

No, one's opinion is derived  from their interpretation.   (For instance, considering Star Wars primarily a work of 'escapism' would be the basis of one's interpretation. Calling the story - or any particular volume of it - 'good' or 'bad' would an opinion.)

48 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Which is the objectively correct interpretation? The one you have today, or the one you had a few years ago when you said Kathleen Kennedy & Rian Johnson didn't know what they were doing, making it up as they went along and were ruining Star Wars?

Only George Lucas and select Lucasfilm employees/contractors are aware the objectively correct interpretation of this story. I'm very sure I am also, having gone on a years-long journey of enlightenment.

What do you think is the story of Star Wars? What do you think I think it is?

39 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I am a slow learner.

You're not the only one.

17 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Only George Lucas and select Lucasfilm employees/contractors are aware the objectively correct interpretation of this story. I'm very sure I am also, having gone on a years-long journey of enlightenment.

Let us know...

23 minutes ago, Mattris said:

What do you think is the story of Star Wars?

There's only one Star Wars, and I know what the story is. A boy, a girl, and a story as big as the universe.

soswCover.jpg

23 minutes ago, Mattris said:

What do you think I think it is?

hamlet-gibson-2.jpg

1 minute ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

A boy, a girl, and a story as big as the universe.

I remember going through marketing and its amazing what emphasis the trailer puts on this "romance."

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

Great, now I want fish!

I had fried calamari just the other day.

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

There's only one Star Wars, I know what the story is. A boy, a girl, and a story as big as the universe.

The Star Wars Saga tells one story. George Lucas was clear that his work was created to showcase valuable life lessons and universal truths.

By 'the end' of their adventurous experience - portrayed in the Original Trilogy - what lessons and truths did this boy and girl learn that would lead the audience to trust that they would have created and led a lasting and successful Jedi Order and 'New' Republic after such institutions had been relatively recently destroyed, as shown in the Prequels?

On 22/01/2024 at 4:06 PM, Chen G. said:

O hush you! Can't you see we're talking about food?!

We happen to love food!

Nah, I prefer to test and show the limits of your Star Wars comprehension.

On 22/01/2024 at 4:09 PM, Chen G. said:

Oh, I understand. I understand the restaurant ruined the main course on purpose so they can then serve another main course they've made in secret and it would be all the greater! ROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

Oh man, forget food, I need a drink!

I must say, I missed your making light of my 'wacky' theories and predictions. But in doing so here, you concisely demonstrated one of the biggest misconceptions of the Star Wars audience: the assumption that the OT was "the main course" with all other Saga Episodes as unnecessary 'dishes' than can be largely - if not, entirely - dismissed.

When you are eventually shown the sheer scope of your folly and failure, I think you'll need more than a drink. You may just feel the need to go home and rethink your life.

Fortunately, Rian Johnson said he'll be at the bar if you need him.

On 22/01/2024 at 4:20 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

That's the dessert.

Nah, it'll be the pay-off  of all the set-ups.

11 hours ago, Mattris said:

I have three questions for you, Mr. Mattris.

1. Who might those "select Lucasfilm employees/contractors" be? 

2. Are you REALLY that naiive to still believe that George Lucas or anyone has an "objectively correct interpretation" of the story that has been stretched and bastardized again and again for the last 47 years by several people and parties?

3. Are you in some sort of cult or something? What would you need a "years-long journey of enlightenment" for? This is Star Wars, a fricking space soap opera designed for 12-year-olds, not buddhism or existentialist philosophy. 

If you are a 12-year-old boy, then it's all right that you still believe in this children's story. But if you're an adult, then I think you need serious help and fast. 

1 hour ago, JTW said:

If you are a 12-year-old boy, then it's all right that you still believe in this children's story. But if you're an adult, then I think you need serious help and fast. 

First time?

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Brace yourself for being patronised in italics, JTW.  

Looking forward to getting to know his wisdom of years-long enlightenment. 

2 hours ago, JTW said:

Looking forward to getting to know his wisdom of years-long enlightenment. 

image.jpeg

Wait, how and why is this thread back? I thought it had vanished in a puff of bigotry.

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

What's the deal with Vader sitting at a fully set out dinner table on Cloud City and saying that he and Boba Fett would be honoured if Solo, Leia and Chewy joined him?

Good, the discussion's come back to food...

My personal reading of the scene is that Vader sat down to a plate of linguine al nero mon calamari, and whilst chewing said to them, "I'm going to make you an offer you cannot refuse."

I don't know if this jives with the official interpretation known only to George Lucas and select Lucasfilm employees/contractors, but I like it.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It's one of the staples of JWFan! One of our biggest and most reliable institutions! We can't let this thread die!

It has a long-standing tradition of existence to its members and to the community at large.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

My personal reading of the scene is that Vader sat down to a plate of linguine al nero mon calamari, and whilst chewing said to them

Vader clearly likes to have something Chewy for dinner.

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

The secret canon is that Vader staged the dinner so he could size up his daughter’s new boyfriend. They ate womp rat kabobs because that’s all Anakin ever learned how to cook.

Don’t bother trying to disagree with any of this Mattris. I’m friends with several executives and contractors at Lucasfilm and they’ve all confirmed this is the correct interpretation.

Mattris spotted at Skywalker Ranch late last night.

maxresdefault.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 18.48.29.png