Star Wars Disenchantment

John

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If that was for Ep X, JW would have revealed it by now. 

What reason would he have to do that? Surely, such a 'reveal' would be breaking an NDA.

@Mattris How would you respond to this 2020 Daisy Ridley interview where she says of Rey's parents (and I quote):

"At the beginning, there was toying with an Obi-Wan connection, and then... there were different versions. And then it really went to that she was no-one. And then it came to Episode IX, and J.J. pitched me the film and was like, "Oh yeah, Palpatine is grandaddy," and I was like, "Awesome!" And then two weeks later he was like, "Ooh, we're not sure." So it kept changing. So then even I think we were filming and I wasn't sure what the answer was gonna be."

Could it possibly be that Lucasfilm and J.J. were intentionally hiding the truth of Rey's lineage from lead actress Daisy Ridley in order to not distract her from her job as an actress? I would imagine knowing so much information about her character might cause her to inadvertently forget her lines and lightsaber choreography.

46 minutes ago, Mattris said:

This interview is 'a bit', adding to the series that Gad and Ridley shot - along with many other famous actors - in the lead up to TLJ. (They're still available on YouTube.)

This video was clearly shot post-TROS, given the fact that she is casually talking about Palpatine being Rey's grandfather. Also, it was uploaded to YouTube in September 2020.

6 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

It is and George literally admitted to lying about this in his congratulatory letter to the producers of LOST.

In his own words: "When Star Wars first came out, I didn't know where it was going either. The trick is to pretend you've planned the whole thing out in advance. Throw in some father issues and references to other stories - let's call them homages - and you've got a series!"

I'm still amazed he had the gall to write this.

On 27/01/2024 at 7:58 PM, Trope said:

This video was clearly shot post-TROS, given the fact that she is casually talking about Palpatine being Rey's grandfather. Also, it was uploaded to YouTube in September 2020.

Yes, I know that. I was drawing the connection between this interview and the comedic bits Daisy Ridley and Josh Gad produced before TLJ came out. Daisy's even looking away from the camera, a clear indicator that she's lying... and/or trying to remember how she was supposed to respond to the questions. Trust me, it's not a tell-all from someone who knows the complete truth. These are actors acting... and trolling.

On 28/01/2024 at 2:00 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Because he would forgot not to. 

John Williams would have 'forgotten' that he wasn't supposed mention perhaps the biggest secret of his career? I think the man is much smarter than you give him credit.

On 28/01/2024 at 2:53 AM, Chen G. said:

I'm still amazed he had the gall to write this.

Why? You consider Lucas a pathologic liar.

27 minutes ago, Mattris said:

John Williams would have 'forgotten' that he wasn't supposed mention perhaps the biggest secret of his career? I think the man is much smarter than you give him credit.

He smart, but forgetful at 90 years of age. He did reveal the alternate ending of Indy V, which he clearly wasn't supposed to do. But I guess you only follow Star Wars news.

Clearly wasn't supposed to do? When/where did he say this?

John Williams revealing that he's already recorded the score for Episode X - before the film's even been announced - would perhaps be the worst mistake of his professional career... not simply 'forgetful'. He may be almost 92, but he's not foolish or senile!

Convincing this guy that Star Wars is but a kid’s movie, is the same as trying to convince the Pope that God doesn’t exist.

He (Matty that is) will never admit that he’s wrong, even if he knows it. He’s either delusional, or he’s just the biggest troll. Either way we’ll never be able to convince him and if we would, he’ll never admit it. 

It’s better if we just ignore him because clearly it’s the fuel he thrives on.

One more thing that has occurred to me. It’s meant for everyone else, not M.

What about all the changes GL made to the OT over the decades? You know, putting Hayden in the end scene of RotJ? Why did they reshoot the Wampa-scene showing its face and full body? Why did Lucas change the Sarlacc? Why does Force ghost Obi-Wan hit a branch  while walking in the forest?
And why did they put back some of the deleted scenes, but not all of them. And the deleted scenes alone. Why were they shot if they got cut out of the final film? Why were some of them put back later?

Were all these things all parts of “The Great Master Plan” all along? Why change so many things along the way if Lucas knew and planned everything right from the get go? 

54 minutes ago, JTW said:

Were all these things all parts of “The Great Master Plan” all along?

The Wampa certainly was. Of all the changes to the SEs the one that he was clearly not happy with from the very second was the Wampa. The way it was shot was a fallback because the thing didn't work.

I don't like the new scenes because they don't feel like part of the same movie. But they were clearly closer to what was originally "intended". Kind of the opposite of Han and Jabba in Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

But they were clearly closer to what was originally "intended". Kind of the opposite of Han and Jabba in Star Wars.

I personally prefer the sound of Jabba with his original Irish brogue...

I find it strange, that Greedo is alive in that scene again. Same as strange as the scene with R4 exploding motivator and in the next shot you see him again standing besides R2D2. Never understood, why these things were not fixed in the SE.

3 hours ago, JTW said:

lwe’ll never be able to convince him and if we would, he’ll never admit it.

You’ll notice that instead of getting a book length reply like I usually do, he just completely ignored my most recent post. He knows he’s wrong.

Fixed.

34 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Oh, he's almost certainly trolling. But the “Mattris” character is a laughable one, and the commitment to the bit is pretty lame. 

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Never understood, why these things were not fixed in the SE.

Because Lucas shot it that way and planned not to change it later when he could so we would believe he didn’t change it on purpose. Duh. 

5 hours ago, JTW said:

Convincing this guy that Star Wars is but a kid’s movie, is the same as trying to convince the Pope that God doesn’t exist.

He (Matty that is) will never admit that he’s wrong, even if he knows it. He’s either delusional, or he’s just the biggest troll. Either way we’ll never be able to convince him and if we would, he’ll never admit it. 

What makes you think "Star Wars is but a kid’s movie"? What exactly comprises "a kid’s movie"? Why are you here talking so much about "a kid’s movie"?

2 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

You’ll notice that instead of getting a book length reply like I usually do, he just completely ignored my most recent post. He knows he’s wrong.

On the contrary, I know I'm right... and with more than enough evidence to prove it. I presented some of it in this very thread, a fact you and others habitually ignore.

You really have no good reason to doubt me. Compared to your interpretation of Star Wars, mine is objectively superior: All featured character arcs, throughline themes, and major plot elements within the story actually have a rhyme and a reason. All told, it amounts to a story worth being told to everyone, not just to kids.

You don't think you're right, do you? Based on what evidence and logical reasoning? Surely, you have something to offer!

Honestly, I glanced over your utterly pathetic response and noticed - not for the first time - that you made no good points; you're just contradicting me from a perceived position of strength when you actually have nothing hold on to but assumptions.

@JTW Sounds like you don't have as much appreciation for this swill as I do. All good—Mattris always goes into hibernation after each round of posting. But for my money, this thread is only interesting when he's here to spout his utterly masterful trollspeak. No offense to anyone else.

11 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Mattris always goes into hibernation after each round of posting.

So he’s like Pennywise from IT? 

11 minutes ago, Datameister said:

this thread is only interesting when he's here to spout his utterly masterful trollspeak.

But he’s spouting it in the wrong thread. This is the disenchantment thread, not the Star Wars World Conspiracy Thread. 

Maybe it’s a freudian thing and unconsciously he dislikes Star Wars. Or he’s like a mosquito and our “scent” a.k.a. any discussion about Star Wars attracts him. 

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I find it strange, that Greedo is alive in that scene again

Not only that, there are like 3 or 4 Greedos in that scene!

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

On the contrary, I know I'm right... and with more than enough evidence to prove it. I presented some of it in this very thread, a fact you and others habitually ignore.

You really have no good reason to doubt me. Compared to your interpretation of Star Wars, mine is objectively superior: All featured character arcs, throughline themes, and major plot elements within the story actually have a rhyme and a reason. All told, it amounts to a story worth being told to everyone, not just to kids.

You don't think you're right, do you? Based on what evidence and logical reasoning? Surely, you have something to offer!

Honestly, I glanced over your utterly pathetic response and noticed - not for the first time - that you made no good points; you're just contradicting me from a perceived position of strength when you actually have nothing hold on to but assumptions.

You know what, you’re right. Star Wars IS the greatest story ever told. I don’t know why I thought anyone would be convinced by my utterly pathetic arguments when everything is clearly proceeding just as you have foreseen. Forgive me master for doubting the power of your mighty sledgehammer.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

But I...I have facial hair! ROTFLMAO

3 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Sure, but is it evil facial hair?

Unless TV has lied to us, a moustache connected to a goatee connotes evil. But if you have a full beard, you should be good. It just means you've lost interest in shaving.

image.jpeg

23 hours ago, Chen G. said:

No, no, no, no!

We were talking about food!

Salad ain't food!

Unless it's a big salad. You know, big lettuce, big carrots, tomatoes like volleyballs. The kind of salad you deserve to get credit for when you buy one for your friend.

8 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Unless it's a big salad. You know, big lettuce, big carrots, tomatoes like volleyballs. The kind of salad you deserve to get credit for when you buy one for your friend.

Also dependent on the richness of the dressing, like the salad we order at an entree at one of our local restaurants...