Star Wars Disenchantment

John

6 hours ago, Mattris said:

On the other hand, hearing that the director of the divisive/terrible TLJ (as well as other Lucasfilm employees) is cursing at and name-calling fans (and that the movie is mediocre and has an SJW droid and 'pansexual' Lando) will be much more influential in their decision.

Dude, his "cursing and name-calling" was very explicitly directed towards the people who were harassing Kelly Tran to the point of her leaving social media. Those people are not "fans", they are "fuckheads", "losers", "tossers", "misogynistic and racist cunts" (my words, not Rian's, though I bet he wished he could say these things without heroes like you crying about it)

For those that didn't like TLJ, what about this? Better? I think it's crazy, but at the same time that would've been neat...somehow.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2018/06/07/star-wars-the-last-jedi-fixed-by-the-internet

The video is blocked here - is this the clip that starts with Carrie Fisher floating in space?  If so, I saw that on Twitter a few days ago and loved it.

2 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Dude, his "cursing and name-calling" was very explicitly directed towards the people who were harassing Kelly Tran to the point of her leaving social media. Those people are not "fans", they are "fuckheads", "losers", "tossers", "misogynistic and racist cunts" (my words, not Rian's, though I bet he wished he could say these things without heroes like you crying about it)

Rian Johnson - or any Lucasfilm employee in a leadership position - should not be cursing and name-calling at people in a public forum - period. This is child-like behavior, completely beneath him as the director of a Star Wars film. Those harassing anyone don't deserve the satisfaction of getting a reaction.

Kelly Tran did not leave social media. She just deleted her Instagram posts and did not give a reason why.

Rian Johnson is clearly addicted to attention. He made his movie divisive on purpose, and now he will do anything to keep the conversation about him, even though people are trying to talk about Solo.

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

She just deleted her Instagram posts and did not give a reason why.

What part of this don't you understand?

She received hateful comments, then deleted the pictures that received the comments, and has stopped posting new ones.

She left.

(like BloodBoal :()

The people who really should be calling out that kind of behaviour is not the likes of Rian Johnson...these guys don't care what Johnson has to say. In fact I'm sure they get off on the attention. There's nothing wrong with Johnson speaking out, he was right to. But Johnson doing the calling out is the equivalent of the teacher telling the class room to settle down. 

The ones who should be calling out this scum are members of their own peer group...i.e. people who dislike TLJ, and what Kennedy is doing with the franchise, and are vocal about it, but aren't the kind who will harass an innocent person like Kelly Marie Tran.  Someone on "your side" calling out this kind of behaviour means a lot more than some celeb doing it (there's a reason it's called peer pressure).  And if you are one of the people who hated TLJ and where the franchise is going, it's in your own interests to call out the worst among you, because you're being associated with their bad behaviour, and their actions are overshadowing your legitimate complaints.

On 08/06/2018 at 2:18 PM, Docteur Qui said:

No. Deplorable behaviour like that should never, ever be ignored or swept under the rug, especially by people who hold power and influence. Rian did what too few men in power do, which was to call out shitty behaviour in a public forum. I can’t believe I actually have to have this conversation with you. Your insistence that he acted out of line aligns you with the fucktards responsible in the first place and contributes to a culture that enables and empowers hateful behaviour. You should be ashamed of yourself.

On the contrary. It's the media lying and running with false narratives (like Star Wars fans are racist, sexist, etc.') that "contributes to a culture that enables and empowers hateful behaviour". Accusing me of aligning with those sending offensive messages? It's you who should be ashamed of yourself, sir.

By "deplorable behaviour", do you mean 'sending offensive words to someone else online'? While I condone no such thing, this nonsense should "be ignored or swept under the rug" and deleted by the recipient... or possibly archived for future evidence.

Those abusive, hateful, sexist, racist (online) people are the scum of the Earth and don't deserve the time of day. But what they are getting is exactly what they wanted: attention and a reaction. Rian Johnson (and others at Lucasfilm) have called them out with profanity, the media has shined the light on them, and Daisey Ridley and Kelly Marie Tran have dropped-off Instagram. And now we're bickering about it. In handling it this way, everybody looses except the "fucktards".

On 08/06/2018 at 2:27 PM, Nick1066 said:

The people who really should be calling out that kind of behaviour is not the likes of Rian Johnson...these guys don't care what Johnson has to say. In fact I'm sure they get off on the attention. There's nothing wrong with Johnson speaking out, he was right to. But Johnson doing the calling out is the equivalent of the teacher telling the class room to settle down. 

The ones who should be calling out this scum are members of their own peer group...i.e. people who dislike TLJ, and what Kennedy is doing with the franchise, and are vocal about it, but aren't the kind who will harass an innocent person like Kelly Marie Tran.  Someone on "your side" calling out this kind of behaviour means a lot more than some celeb doing it (there's a reason it's called peer pressure).  And if you are one of the people who hated TLJ and where the franchise is going, it's in your own interests to call out the worst among you, because you're being associated with their bad behaviour, and their actions are overshadowing your legitimate complaints.

Who is associating us "with their bad behaviour"? People "who hated TLJ and where the franchise is going" are not "peers" of these abusive, racist, sexist individuals, who will only (possibly) change their ways (i.e. no more posting offensive messages) when they are completely ignored by everyone.

Is it wrong for Johnson to be defensive over the absolutely rotten behavior of the 'fans'? 

@Mattris Yes, they are the peers of the toxic sludge with this abusive behavior, because it's not coming from the fans and audiences who enjoyed the film, is it? It's coming from the people who share your views on the film, especially the sentiment that Lucasfilm and Disney have fucked Star Wars over.

42 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Is it wrong for Johnson to be defensive over the absolutely rotten behavior of the 'fans'? 

@Mattris Yes, they are the peers of the toxic sludge with this abusive behavior, because it's not coming from the fans and audiences who enjoyed the film, is it? It's coming from the people who share your views on the film, especially the sentiment that Lucasfilm and Disney have fucked Star Wars over.

No. But he shouldn't be sinking to the level of insults and bad language, posting dozens of 'defensive' messages daily. Seems like this is all he does now. This is the behavior of a selfish, small man. He made a bad/divisive film, fans are upset, but he can't just shut-up and take a break. This frantic, attack-and-cry-victim mentality from him is, quite frankly, embarrassing.

We are absolutely not their peers. And even if a 'normal' fan knew one of these 'worst of the worst' individuals, do you really think they would change after a 'speaking to'? They would not. And it's not our responsibly to try to change them. They're looking to offend. And the only way they 'succeed' is by knowing they have offended. Solution: Everyone should completely ignore them and they will eventually go away. Paying them mind will only fuel their fire.

Just now, Batman's Diet Coke said:

A surprise to be sure. But a welcome one.

It's blatant revisionism, and this is your response!? So this is how liberty dies: with Prequels quotes.

22 minutes ago, Mattris said:

...posting dozens of 'defensive' messages daily. Seems like this is all he does now. This is the behavior of a selfish, small man...just shut-up and take a break...This frantic, attack-and-cry-victim mentality from him is, quite frankly, embarrassing...

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

That real?

Unfortunately, yes.

7 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

:( That's disturbing. 

It really is.

I knew franchises like Star Wars and Star Trek have a strong fanbase of devotees, but if that Facebook group is real then it has made me rethink my stance on those devotees, that this fanbase has created a religious cult that truly believes that Disney are committing sacrilegious acts against their holy manuscripts. It's sad, sad that I have to associate myself with such sickening behavior.

13 minutes ago, TGP said:

Why are there so many fucking crazy obsessive people around lately?

I noticed soon after the 2016 US election a lot of people started acting more strangely, and crazy people started popping up out of no where. No idea if those two things are correlated (they probably are).

I think in a lot of ways, the Star Wars divide is very metaphorical to how politics are dividing the world right now. Hence the constant "SJW" arguments. It's all interconnected. It all boils down to conservatives vs. liberals.

1 hour ago, John said:

Are you proud of your little "rebellion", @Mattris?

I have absolutely nothing to do with that "Rebellion" and disagree with everything they stand for. Do you honestly think those are the goals of 'people like me'?

53 minutes ago, Arpy said:

@Mattris You are aware how ironic that is? When it's basically that ×1000 from every crybaby who thought Johnson fucked up!

I don't follow. Please explain. As I see it, this division among the Star Wars fandom falls squarely on Kathleen Kennedy's shoulders. And from director's chair to Twitter cry-baby, Rian Johnson's behavior is down right pathetic.

38 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I noticed soon after the 2016 US election a lot of people started acting more strangely, and crazy people started popping up out of no where. No idea if those two things are correlated (they probably are).

I think in a lot of ways, the Star Wars divide is very metaphorical to how politics are dividing the world right now. Hence the constant "SJW" arguments. It's all interconnected. It all boils down to conservatives vs. liberals.

32 minutes ago, TGP said:

Seems like the easy explanation but not the right one.  I blame the internet exploited as a soapbox and as a part of a larger cultural decay that seems increasingly fated to yield lots of unstable minds.  Now add the astronomically high level of tribal political thinking to be found everywhere in 2018 and a significant franchise being helmed by a force like Disney.  What a world, eh?

You two are onto something here.

This sinful demon mouse has defied the Almighty. The Lord shall pass judgement on those who dare commit insolence against his mighty kingdom. The mouse's deviant servants will not survive the Rapture, which will take place soon as we are in the End Times!

13 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Do you honestly think those are the goals of 'people like me'?

Judging by your posts over the past few weeks, yes. 

I don't think @Mattris does share the goals of some of the most virulent out there, but his tone does smack of someone who has felt dejected by what he perceives to be a mishandling of his fandom.

I'm just wondering how far the rabbit hole goes as far as this anti-current Star Wars thing. Much like many other groups, there seem to be circles within circles, of various levels of radicalism. Since Mattris denies being as extreme as the people who harass an actress because she played a part in a single motion picture, would those anti-current Star Wars people decry and shun him for not being truly devoted to the cause?

Next step: