Mission: Impossible 7 & 8

Jay

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Unless he pops up in Part 2, it doesn't look like they've bothered. 

Ah that makes sense, he's probably in part 2 yea

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Didn't barfing guy get posted to Alaska?

Yes, but this news article says he's coming back.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Ah that makes sense, he's probably in part 2 yea

Last I checked, IMDb credited him for part 2 only.

(Also, I was surprised to find out that he's George Stobbart. But from what I remember, he doesn't talk at all in the first film, so it's easy to miss I guess.)

Are spoilers for M: I 7 free on this thread?

Anyway...

Spoiler

How come Hunt was able to find a getaway vehicle in Rome using that app on his phone? I assumed, since he had been disavowed from the US government (again), he didn't have access to IMF's resources. So, what was that app and how Cruise was able to access it?

Why didn't Ethan just get on the train like a normal person...?

Previous Mi movies had plot reasons for the big stunts, like the Fallout helicopter stunts were because Ethan had to get the trigger for the nukes from Cavill. Etc.

This one they just said "he can't just get a ticket and get on the train because...erm...we want him to jump off a cliff..."

Man, this film completely falls apart with any sort of thought.

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Are spoilers for M: I 7 free on this thread?

Anyway...

Hide contents

How come Hunt was able to find a getaway vehicle in Rome using that app on his phone? I assumed, since he had been disavowed from the US government (again), he didn't have access to IMF's resources. So, what was that app and how Cruise was able to access it?

Because they needed a car chase and were too lazy to give a legitimate reason for it.

On 16/07/2023 at 9:16 PM, Edmilson said:

To be honest, I thought Hayley Atwell's character was the weakest part of the movie. She's beautiful, of course, but her character is kinda like Ilsa again but just way less resourceful and more vulnerable.

She was a clone of Newtons character from Mi2

42 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Why didn't Ethan just get on the train like a normal person...?

They explained this. He was going to, with a mask, but after the mask was made of Kirby's character, the machine broke down.

Then they wanted just to drive on the train from a small hill next to it.

Then Gabriel broke the train so it went haywire and couldn't stop. That was the reason Ethan couldn't do that jump and then Benji rerouted him to the top of the mountain.

That's it.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

They explained this. He was going to, with a mask, but after the mask was made of Kirby's character, the machine broke down.

Then they wanted just to drive on the train from a small hill next to it.

Then Gabriel broke the train so it went haywire and couldn't stop. That was the reason Ethan couldn't do that jump and then Benji rerouted him to the top of the mountain.

That's it.

Please explain why he couldn't just get on the train like a passenger?

1 minute ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Because they weren't supposed to know he was on there.

He was a wanted man

So Ethan Hunt isn't able to sneak on a train undetected?

Then why did he crash through the window and make a bigger scene than if he walked on?

Or why not just wear a makeup disguise like he has in previous films without a mask maker?

Your reason doesn't make sense because he walked around an INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT with no mask haha.

He walked into an international airport and an Italian police station without a mask in this film haha. But can't get on a train...

Why did Poms character have to jump on the train too? Why not just walk on? Why hide Gabriel in a techno-coffin haha? Why not just walk on together? 

Why did Benji ride in a driverless car when the entity can hack it and drive him off a cliff?

Why did it take them until the end of the film to switch to analogue coms, when they knew the entity could hack anything it wanted?

Why did Grace not run away from Gabriel? Why did she choose to fight an assasin in a knife fight?

Why didn't Ilsa have a gun to fight Gabriel? Why a sword?

Why didn't Benji take his tools with him to the bag with a bomb in it when he suspected it was so?

Why didn't the white widows bodyguard brother notice his sister has different coloured eyes after she came out of her train cabin with different clothes on?

why did Poms character manically and happily laugh whilst murdering countless people, including trying to murder Ethan and Grace, yet decided to be good at the end because she's a nice...person now...I guess?

Why would the head of US intelligence not know what the IMF is? And why would he tell Gabriel that "I'm the only one who knows a certain piece of information, therefore definitely don't kill me right now or anything." Haha

The writing is terrible.

No your take of it is terrible.

Ever heard of need to know basis?

Did you miss the small detail about IMF hacking the facial recognition platform?

13 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Then why did he crash through the window and make a bigger scene than if he walked on?

Or why not just wear a makeup disguise like he has in previous films without a mask maker?

Your reason doesn't make sense because he walked around an INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT with no mask haha.

He walked into an international airport and an Italian police station without a mask in this film haha. But can't get on a train...

Why did Poms character have to jump on the train too? Why not just walk on? Why hide Gabriel in a techno-coffin haha? Why not just walk on together? 

Why did Benji ride in a driverless car when the entity can hack it and drive him off a cliff?

Why did it take them until the end of the film to switch to analogue coms, when they knew the entity could hack anything it wanted?

Why did Grace not run away from Gabriel? Why did she choose to fight an assasin in a knife fight?

Why didn't Benji take his tools with him to the bag with a bomb in it when he suspected it was so?

Why didn't the white widows bodyguard brother notice his sister has different coloured eyes after she came out of her train cabin with different clothes on?

why did Poms character manically and happily laugh whilst murdering countless people, including trying to murder Ethan and Grace, yet decided to be good at the end because she's a nice...person now...I guess?

Why would the head of US intelligence not know what the IMF is? And why would he tell Gabriel that "I'm the only one who knows a certain piece of information, therefore definitely don't kill me right now or anything." Haha

The writing is terrible.

There’s a lot of holes in this movie, it’s nowhere near the quality of MI4-6.

how was Benji driving a self driving car when the AI can easily access it, you mentioned it but was so puzzled during the movie

11 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

No your take of it is terrible.

Ever heard of need to know basis?

Did you miss the small detail about IMF hacking the facial recognition platform?

Please by all means, explain why any of the points I made were wrong.

The dialogue in this film was spoof level bad.

I mean, the villain actually screamed "ETHAAAAAAAAN!" haha. Good lord.

5 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Do self driving cars send data to a server somewhere for it to be processed and sent back to the car? Or do the processes happen offline locally in the cars computers?

in the car in some sort of black box hidden process, it's my understanding

8 hours ago, Brónach said:

in the car in some sort of black box hidden process, it's my understanding

Interesting. If the processes happen completely offline, there is no opportunity for the AI to hack it. I guess that "plot hole" is moot

On 18/07/2023 at 11:35 AM, leeallen01 said:

The train would not leave the station if he went there without a mask, the CIA agents were there from the start, they wanted the key, the White Widow would have just gone away if she saw Ethan.

On 18/07/2023 at 11:35 AM, leeallen01 said:

The writing is terrible.

1. He wasn't worried about the CIA, the IMF constantly swipes the leg on the CIA... he wasn't expecting an AI to ruin their plan.

2. Style :lol:. Gabriel was probably "talking" to the AI (the coffin had the AI in it).

3. He did put his seat belt on, so he was aware.

4. Your asking the characters to be flawless... Benji and Luther also kept using computers, they probably reinforced the safety but it wasn't enough.

5. Why do you think she can't fight? It was never stated in the movie she couldn't fight, she knew the man wanted to kill her, and met her whe she was running randomly... why would she run again only to find whoever waiting for her? Kill the problem in front of you.

6. If she's truly gone, it was a weird decision, but the jury is not out on that.

7. I don't think he had tools with him... there was no reason for him to expect a bomb in this mission.

8. Because he's dumb, since Fallout he's been shown to not be the brightest.

9. Gabriel expeled out to you... Ethan didn't kill her, she was going to return the favor, that is it, simple as that.

10. A. The guy was new, there was a photo of Angela Basset in his wall, so he replaced her and it shows that he was a new guy. B. He thought Gabriel's plan was to rule the world like he intended, turns out it's not and Gabriel seems like doesn't want to take control of the Entity, but protect it.

The writing is regular.

It looks like most of your gripes is "I wouldn't do such a thing"... ok, thanks for sharing I guess. 

On 20/07/2023 at 2:36 PM, Gabriel Bezerra said:

The train would not leave the station if he went there without a mask, the CIA agents were there from the start, they wanted the key, the White Widow would have just gone away if she saw Ethan.

1. He wasn't worried about the CIA, the IMF constantly swipes the leg on the CIA... he wasn't expecting an AI to ruin their plan.

2. Style :lol:. Gabriel was probably "talking" to the AI (the coffin had the AI in it).

3. He did put his seat belt on, so he was aware.

4. Your asking the characters to be flawless... Benji and Luther also kept using computers, they probably reinforced the safety but it wasn't enough.

5. Why do you think she can't fight? It was never stated in the movie she couldn't fight, she knew the man wanted to kill her, and met her whe she was running randomly... why would she run again only to find whoever waiting for her? Kill the problem in front of you.

6. If she's truly gone, it was a weird decision, but the jury is not out on that.

7. I don't think he had tools with him... there was no reason for him to expect a bomb in this mission.

8. Because he's dumb, since Fallout he's been shown to not be the brightest.

9. Gabriel expeled out to you... Ethan didn't kill her, she was going to return the favor, that is it, simple as that.

10. A. The guy was new, there was a photo of Angela Basset in his wall, so he replaced her and it shows that he was a new guy. B. He thought Gabriel's plan was to rule the world like he intended, turns out it's not and Gabriel seems like doesn't want to take control of the Entity, but protect it.

The writing is regular.

It looks like most of your gripes is "I wouldn't do such a thing"... ok, thanks for sharing I guess. 

Good lord your explanations are awful. A mixture of "well the character is stupid" and "well the character is stupid."

That's just bad writing.

Once all the hype of "it's a Tom Cruise action movie, it has to be great" dies down, people will look at this film properly and realise it's pretty awful all-round.

The bad box office numbers are a pretty good indication of the true word of mouth. People are not really recommending it outside of fake twitter land, and it's definitely going to lose a lot of money.

17 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

It occurred to me watching Dead Reckoning (which I enjoyed) that Christopher McQuarrie is the David Yates of the Mission Impossible franchise. 

Does that means that Lorne Balfe is the Nicholas Hooper of the Mission: Impossible franchise?

17 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

It occurred to me watching Dead Reckoning (which I enjoyed) that Christopher McQuarrie is the David Yates of the Mission Impossible franchise. 

Good point. First 4 HP films were pretty separated in your mind in style etc, and then 5 onwards all blend together as one big story of interchangeable parts.

First 4 Mi movies are very distinct and easily separated in your mind. And then 5 onwards can be easily interchangeable again and not distinct at all.

It was a mistake changing the formula of different creatives, because it's so much more fun to see different takes on the same subject.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Does that means that Lorne Balfe is the Nicholas Hooper of the Mission: Impossible franchise?

I haven't listened to Balfe's scores outside of the films, but I enjoyed his Fallout score in the film. Hated his Dead Reckoning score in the film.

This movie would be a lot better, at least in my eyes, if they placed more focus on the Entity. Or at least explained why it wants to destroy mankind, how it got so powerful, etc. Make it more of a character than a MacGuffin. 

Maybe they'll say what made the Entity "evil" in Part 2? Hopefully it'll be something more original than the usual "men is a virus that will destroy the planet, so every human being needs to die".

On 16/7/2023 at 1:16 PM, Edmilson said:

To be honest, I thought Hayley Atwell's character was the weakest part of the movie. She's beautiful, of course, but her character is kinda like Ilsa again but just way less resourceful and more vulnerable.

And far more annoying. How many times can you watch someone screw over another person who’s saving your ass and needs your help before you start rooting against her?

7 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Just having a quick piss during this way too long movie.

Lorne Balfe's score is abysmal. He couldn't spell panache if every key on his synth keyboard spelled it out for him.

If he says he wrote 14 hours for this film, I say that's laughable.

Now, just a damn minute!

You're typing that? While you piss???!!!

4 hours ago, Bayesian said:

And far more annoying. How many times can you watch someone screw over another person who’s saving your ass and needs your help before you start rooting against her?

You've mentioned 'screw' and 'rooting' while talking about Hayley Atwell there, and I for one can hardly blame you. lol. 

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Now, just a damn minute!

You're typing that? While you piss???!!!

Straight after.

I was fucking annoyed that with all the places this movie visits, Balfe's score, even in establishing shots, can't do anything more than waaaaa-Bwwwwmmmm.

Even in scenes with clear wit and tongue in cheek, Balfe is one key, one dimensional, drama, drama, drama, more drama.

Fun fact: during the previews, we saw the trailer for Dune 2, and my wife turned to me and said "the music is terrible already - again"

The beginning of the film was flawed for me. There's too much unclear and nebulous dialogue about what exactly they're talking about. 

The existence of an all-powerful entity is just taken for granted all of a sudden.

The beginning is also too long. The M:I openings imo need to be short and explosive.

The less said about the score, the better. At this point, asking for memorable themes is like, forget it, but this doesn't even have a melody anywhere.

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Let's see if they aren't idiots enough to date M: I 8 one week before another Nolan movie :lol:

Nolan and Cruise can team up to make the Mission: Impossible / Person of Interest crossover we all want! (Yes, that was Jonathan. I know.)

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Nolan and Cruise can team up to make the Mission: Impossible / Person of Interest crossover we all want! (Yes, that was Jonathan. I know.)

MI7 had concepts that were quite inspired by Jonah Nolan’s Westworld S3 and Person of Interest already haha!

I read that they might give MI8 another title and not call it Dead Reckoning Part 2. It would be really weird though so hopefully that doesn’t happen.

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

I read that they might give MI8 another title and not call it Dead Reckoning Part 2. It would be really weird though so hopefully that doesn’t happen.

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning - Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning - Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

You'd think that joke would get old. But it doesn't.

2 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

MI7 had concepts that were quite inspired by Jonah Nolan’s Westworld S3 and Person of Interest already haha!

Well John Wick didn't take EVERYTHING. :D

On 24/10/2023 at 7:49 AM, Edmilson said:

Let's see if they aren't idiots enough to date M: I 8 one week before another Nolan movie :lol:

Dead reckoning was a much better and much more entertaining film than hoppenheimer which in itself was quite good

On 25/10/2023 at 4:35 PM, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Wait... an EXTENDED edition?! For an already extended album? oh my...

Don't worry. Even though the soundtrack is now longer than the movie itself, there's still stuff missing. Like that 6-8 min. long Venice Club source cue he composed.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

ROTFLMAO

My voice to text shenanigans 

The other day I said Price is Right it heard Christ is Right