The Simpsons on Disney+

The FX app gave you a choice of aspect ratios, if I recall correctly, when you actively picked an episode - but if you did the random Simpsons episode button or let it autoplay, I think it defaulted to cropped widescreen for the first 19 (Fullscreen) seasons

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That decision was made by Groening etc. before the Fox/Disney sale, if I recall correctly.   EDIT - https://slate.com/culture/2019/03/michael-jackson-simpsons-episode-featuring-singers-voice

They've gone up the ventilation shaft!

We had a thread for this @mstrox!   Posting the news here for posterity, The Simpsons will finally be streaming in its correct aspect ratio on May 28.    

I’m glad Disney will add this change; I kind of expected it to happen at some point given that there were a bunch of articles about it in the last week. 

And you’ve reminded me I need to go back and watch some of these cartoons from my childhood - Chip n Dale, Gargoyles, and others. 

So far I’ve only watched:

Both Mando episodes

30 min of Rogue One until I got bored

S1E1 of The Simpsons 

The Little Mermaid

An episode of a random NatGeo documentary about mountain life that I quite liked 

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Cutting controversial or retarded content from past media is dangerous - it's no extension of the limits of tolerance and equality, it's history censorship.

The scene from Fantasia was censored in 1969. This is nothing new.

Now, they're putting disclaimers at the beginning of movies and in their description.

Your bizarre movie-based history program is still relatively intact.

We just watched Fantasia with my kid for the first time a few weeks ago.  At the time, I read through the IMDB trivia - I think the audio was unsalvageable for a rerelease/remaster, so they had a known voice actor rerecord it.

EDIT:  Yup

The 2000 restoration was the first time the longer, so-called roadshow version of the film was seen after the initial release. This version contains much longer interstitials from Deems Taylor explaining what will be seen. The picture of these segments was easy to find and was cleaned up, since most of them were used in the 1990 restoration, but the soundtrack for the segments that had not been seen since the 1940s either could not be found or was in terrible shape. After much debate, actor Corey Burton was called in to dub all of Taylor's dialog, but the original narration can be heard in the soundtrack sequence halfway through the picture.

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2019 at 4:34 PM, woj said:

What's the issue here, aside from the pisspoor color grading? The cropping is minor. 

Honestly it doesn't matter if the cropping is considered "minor". I want to watch it as it was originally created and intended. Simple as that. That applies to most everything for me. For example, even if a movie that was originally intended to be widescreen and has a version in full-screen that is open matte (and therefore ADDS, instead of removes picture) I will still want the Widescreen version.

Next they'll want to change the aspect ratios in Grand Budapest Hotel for "consistency". Just leave it alone.

36 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Still waiting on them to add the option to watch the good seasons in their proper 4:3 aspect ratio.  "Early 2020" was the promised release window.  Tick tock tick tock...

Just watch the newer episodes while you're waiting...

video-game-competitions-the-simpsons

I don't know if it was a streaming issue, but I noticed the Disney+ Simpsons would flip/flop between very crisp-looking (albeit cropped) and like a zoomed-in DVD image with noticeably lower quality. I haven't seen the issue with any other content on the service, so I think it's the source material.

Yes there's some weird aliasing issues on a lot of episodes, it looks horrible. Not sure if it's just an issue with the source material or potentially bad encoding along the way. Surely they could remaster these older episodes if they have the original film elements? 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It's another "expect to" statement though!  They previously "expected" to have it done in early 2020, so I don't trust it.

May is still first half of the year.

So if they do it, it won't be LATE 2020 at least.

• 1 month later...