The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

1 minute ago, DoctorRagnarok said:

Some tracks on the soundtrack album leaked. Apparently there's 2 concert suites judging by the names.

dude.

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30756-the-rise-of-skywalker-disney-records-ost-coming-dec18-digital-dec-20-physical-album/page/11

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm starting to get all turned around with these two running threads today about TROS

Really?  I haven't had any issues

I'm just trying to figure what material on this FYC could be the "Anthem of Evil" theme because there isn't really that much new villainous material here

Just now, Jay said:

I'm just trying to figure what material on this FYC could be the "Anthem of Evil" theme because there isn't really that much new villainous material here

Very true.  I was surprised how much of "Approaching the Throne" is given over to hopeful music on first listen.  I wonder if the second half is when it cuts to like a space battle or something a la Return of the Jedi cutting between throne room, space battle, and forest.

There's still so much recorded music we haven't heard, but unless JW was incredibly unhappy with how the Anthem of Evil theme turned out, I can't imagine he would have omitted it from the FYC entirely.  Unless someone pointed out to him later it's similar to some other composer's work, and he didn't want to confuse voters?

Either that, or it's an arrangement of the rising and falling theme plus a bunch of Kylo Ren material reworked, maybe with Emperor's Theme and/or Imperial march type stuff thrown in as well or something

Just now, Jay said:

Either that, or it's an arrangement of the rising and falling theme plus a bunch of Kylo Ren material reworked, maybe with Emperor's Theme and/or Imperial march type stuff thrown in as well or something

Yeah could be an edit of separate cues that feature Palpatine, sort of like "Snoke" on the TFA OST.  But then using the word "Anthem" has implications of a more organized feel, more like a concert arrangement.  So many questions!

If there is a villain theme, and it’s used as infrequently as March of the Resistance in TFA, I could see it missing the FYC if there just isn’t much in terms of statements and development (though, I recognize MOTR was on the TFA FYC)

Remember how at first listen, the March of the Resistance sounded like it could have been a theme for the bad guys, not a theme for the good guys?

Is it possible the theme from We Go Together and the Kimiji tracks is not a "trio theme", but is actually the Anthem of Evil theme?

What if Anthem of Evil is actually a suite of the major evil themes of the saga? Imperial March, The Emperor's Theme, Kylo Ren's two themes, Snoke material, maybe something like Palpatine's TV Set and, if we are lucky, Duel of the Fates? Solo kinda officialized it as Darth Maul's theme. Everything closing out with a bang from the Death Star motif from A New Hope!

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Remember how at first listen, the March of the Resistance sounded like it could have been a theme for the bad guys, not a theme for the good guys?

Is it possible the theme from We Go Together and the Kimiji tracks is not a "trio theme", but is actually the Anthem of Evil theme?

Haha or the Farewell theme. That would be new levels of weird!

:woop:

I'm trying to see if it turns up anywhere else now. I thought I might have heard it towards the end of Falcon Flight but maybe not

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:
16 minutes ago, Jay said:

:woop:

I'm trying to see if it turns up anywhere else now. I thought I might have heard it towards the end of Falcon Flight but maybe not

Yeah at 1:47 for a bit

1:44 variation on Hyperspace "fanfare" from ESB

1:47 Hyperspace ostinato from ESB, tremolo style

1 minute ago, The Five Tones said:

1:44 variation on Hyperspace "fanfare" from ESB

1:47 Hyperspace ostinato from ESB, tremolo style

He's right @Jay.  I mistook that part for the pretty darn similar string ostinato in the theme you pointed out from "Prologue."

No. Right there the top line of the brass is E - D-sharp - G-flat - F; first four notes of the Dies Irae starting on the E would be E - D-sharp - E - C-sharp. However, the actual four notes played are a transposition of the B-A-C-H motif. It's always possible JW put that in there as some kind of cryptogram*, but without context of the entire score hard to say. Could just be depicting something rising or being force lifted.

*Has he used cryptograms, existing or otherwise, before?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the beginning of FYC track Prologue can match to OST Journey to Exegol, yet the end of the track can match to OST Fanfare and Prologue.

Does the prologue of the film involve a Journey to Exegol, or is that a separate event that happens later?  What's an Exegol anyway? 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm sure it is, I was trying to be funny.

ooooops :P

Tracking is the only explanation that makes sense to me.  That or Shazam just got wrong tags or something simple.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

OK, how about 0:57-1:08 of Prologue.  New villainous theme?  THE ANTHEM OF EVIL?

Like I said in the other thread, listen to 0:57 in Join Me, and the first half of Off The Waterfront. Sounds like it's the same.

Spoiler

That's certainly what I assumed, which is why it's confusing that the OST would have TWO tracks for this scene, instead of just "Main Title and Journey to Exegol" or something, ya know?

In other words, if the Journey to Exegol IS the prologue, why does the OST have a "Journey to Exegol" track AND a "Fanfare and Prologue" track??

That would explain everything, of course.

Meaning "Journey to Exegol" is for a cold open, and then track #2 of the OST would be "Fanfare and Prologue", which is the opening crawl followed by something else that acts as a prologue to the rest of the story.

And then for the FYC track "Prologue", it contains a portion of the cold open followed by a portion of the scene after the crawl, edited together into one track.

I know the FYC has to be in film order, but I don't know if they are allowed to combine music from two scenes together or not.

I don't think it's possible.  Disney Records would have given the same album to all digital resellers at the same time.

Unless Shazam's process involves an employee manually typing in names and he made a typo, it's unlikely they are different from the final names.

They would have started printing the booklets for the physical CDs before they sent this digital OST out too.  The titles ain't changing.

Even if they were doing a cold open - I think it would be such an enormous surprise that they would not reveal it through a tracklist. They could easily slot in the cold open track second. Tracks being non-chronological would not be a big deal at all.

1 minute ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Tracks being non-chronological would not be a big deal at all.

Well that depends entirely on the musical content of said tracks