Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Director’s Cut 4K Restoration (supervised by Mike Matessino)

crumbs

On 29/11/2021 at 8:54 AM, SyncMan said:

I hadn't watched this yet, and now it appears to be gone?

On 09/12/2021 at 9:07 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

At one of Goldsmith's two LSO concerts in 2003 (his last with the orchestra, it would turn out), we were treated to a 30 minute suite from STTMP. Live orchestra, blaster beam, no dialogue or sound effects.

That must have been amazing

• 1 month later...

I'm super excited while also being super nervous about this project. The potential for highs is tremendous. OTOH, I now have a 4K transfer of the theatrical edition, so I suppose they can do what they want.

Am I reading that correctly, that they're getting the original elements and getting to recomposite them? That's amazing. That's the sort of thing that these "special edition" projects should get to do, IMHO. (Yes, I realize that I'm dismissing the work of the compositing artists from 1979 while thinking the work of modelers and animators is somehow sacred. I'm aware of my hypocrisy.)

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Am I reading that correctly, that they're getting the original elements and getting to recomposite them? That's amazing.

I'm thrilled recompositing is being done digitally. One of the biggest disappointments for me with the DE was not improving on the existing F/X, some of which are really dated i.t.o. matte lines, as well as the integration of matted elements w.r.t. reflective light and colouring.

Not sure if they would do that. The 15 track sources used for the LLLR set might be the ideal, assuming they are rebuilding the entire mix.

They might be starting with the theatrical mix as a broad basis, making adjustments from there, rather than rebuild the entire sound elements.

I suspect that whatever they do, it'll sound phenomenal.

That would be completely up in the air, since there has not even been an announcement (just a presumption) of a 4K or Blu-ray release.

Since we have the complete LLLR release, and the isolated score from the Theatrical Blu-ray / 4K release, it's really not a big worry for me.

If they do an isolated score release with this, it'll be pretty cool to see how the DE trims work with the score edited into the more tightly edited sequences in the DE.

11 hours ago, OneBuckFilms said:

If they do an isolated score release with this, it'll be pretty cool to see how the DE trims work with the score edited into the more tightly edited sequences in the DE.

I'm hopeful the producers of this DE might rethink the decision to trim any music and rather rejig the visuals to match the untruncated score - which is to me the absolute highlight of the movie.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

I like JTWFan77's recent changing avatars

Watch this space :D

Is it possible for LLL to reissue the 3CD set timed with the release of this remaster? Or it's simply impossible to license more units of that assembly due to stupid AFM rules?

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm hopeful the producers of this DE might rethink the decision to trim any music and rather rejig the visuals to match the untruncated score - which is to me the absolute highlight of the movie.

Well, when they did the 2001 edit with Wise and Goldsmith, Goldsmith said that he scored scenes like The Cloud with the intention that his music could be edited to fit and he sounded surprised that it never was.

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Watch this space :D

I think the DE restoration is likely to mirror what they did in 2001 cut wise, since it is a recreation of what Robert Wise wanted as his cut of the film, which could not be done in 1979 due to a lack of time before the release date, and the lack of a preview.

Everything that was done was to complete what Robert Wise considered an incomplete film.

• 5 weeks later...
On 27/01/2022 at 5:29 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

here's hoping it one day gets a live to picture performance of Jerry's stupendous score, if any Star Trek movie would work that way, this is it. Especially with the picture looking amazing.

In FSM’s LLL 2022 ST-TMP 2-CD reissue thread...

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=146921&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=3&r=331#bottom

…when Mike M. was responding to questions from forum members about the CD reissue of ‘Star Trek-The Motion Picture’, one member asked if there was a LTP concert in the works.  He didn’t respond to that.

This reminds about the time, 2 years ago, when LLL’s Superman 3-CD set came out and Mike M. was answering technical questions about that.  A question was raised about whether an LTP concert for that film was being considered and Mike M. didn’t respond to that, either. 

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=134366&archive=0

Shortly their after, Mike M. appeared on ‘The Legacy of John Williams’ podcast, promoting that CD, where he mentioned that the film’s LTP concert was ‘being considered’.

The Superman LTP concert was officially posted on 'Film Concerts Live's roster on August 2019.

Based on Mike M's actions from two years ago, I’m suggesting that an LTP concert of ‘Star Trek: TMP’ is, at least, being considered but Mike M. is being very careful about not revealing, even, any progress details until this concert is actually going to happen.

And if he gives interviews of the CD reissue either in print or on podcasts, I doubt that he’ll repeat the move he did on Maurizio’s podcast by mentioning any progress on a possible LTP concert.

• 3 weeks later...

Yea I watched the video, it was working fine when I posted it, then got set to private minutes later.

Surely everything will be back up at some point today, or at least at some point this week

The 2001 Director's cut added back in footage that had been filmed in 1979 but cut from the theatrical version, removed footage that was in the theatrical to improve pacing, many effects shots were added/changed, and an entirely new sound mix was created for it with new/different sound effects at times.

This thread is about a new 4K restoration of that 2001 Director's Cut, which involved re-rendering every CGI shot from 2001 anew in 4K (or more likely 8K) since they only rendered them in 480p in 2001.

I adore this motion picture.  It just moves slowly, that's all.  There are plenty of modern films people love with languid pacing and even longer running times.

It's just really cool science fiction from a great era for the genre, and it is so boldly anti-Star Wars toned in its attempt to distinguish itself.

Spock (and to a lesser degree, Kirk) has a fantastic character arc in this motion picture.

So why the hell did Paramount get cold feet about announcing today after they initially did? 

I don't know.  It's weird isn't it?  Maybe they're keeping with tradition and still working on it until the very last minute before release.  Maybe there was some small error in the trailer that somebody flagged.

8 hours ago, Andy said:

I don't know.  It's weird isn't it?  Maybe they're keeping with tradition and still working on it until the very last minute before release.  Maybe there was some small error in the trailer that somebody flagged.

They figured they need 20 more years to get it right.