Blade Runner 2099 in development at Amazon

Jay

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't feel like watching anything new from that universe if it's not shot by Deakins

Exactly my thoughts. Watching BR2049 in IMAX was a great experience, the Amazon show will never live up to that.

Man, Ford must have a good doctor!😄

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Exactly my thoughts. Watching BR2049 in IMAX was a great experience, the Amazon show will never live up to that.

It was a visual extravaganza, for sure.

including Ms. Armas!

6 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

On the one hand, and as someone who has admiration for but always struggles with the original film, I think a Blade Runner story could work really well in series form. 

I have a feeling that Marian will be the first person to say: The TV series is much better than the movie! 

istockphoto-933666298-612x612.jpg

Having just finished the animated BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS series, it's definitely a universe that can sustain a series. A live action series is a very tantalizing idea indeed. Bring it on!

Nice jump in time to avoid to show Han Solo, sorry I mean Deckard.

Spoilers if you never saw Blade Runner 2049...

Spoiler

With the last movie we learnt that two "special" replicants were able to reproduce themselves and had a child.

50 years later this woman will be in what... its 70s? I guess the heroes of this series will be Deckard and Rachel's grandchildren?

I disliked the whole 'In Search For Deckard' idea of BR 2049. It makes him too much of a big deal, while in the first movie, nobody cared, not even the rain. I hope that in the TV series the universe will have finally forgotten about him.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Nice jump in time to avoid to show Han Solo, sorry I mean Deckard.

Spoilers if you never saw Blade Runner 2049...

Hide contents

With the last movie we learnt that two "special" replicants were able to reproduce themselves and had a child.

50 years later this woman will be in what... its 70s? I guess the heroes of this series will be Deckard and Rachel's grandchildren?

So, he literally, is old enough to be her grandfather :lol:

20 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I disliked the whole 'In Search For Deckard' idea of BR 2049. It makes him too much of a big deal, while in the first movie, nobody cared, not even the rain. I hope that in the TV series the universe will have finally forgotten about him.

Well, Rachelle and Deckard are the two most important characters of this universe. I don't know if you understood the movies... but they are like the "chosen ones".

21 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I disliked the whole 'In Search For Deckard' idea of BR 2049.

I actually loved that. Also, it wasn't really a main catalyst in the narrative; they just happened to end up there.

20 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well, Rachelle and Deckard are the two most important characters of this universe. I don't know if you understood the movies... but they are like the "chosen ones".

You say it as if that was the plan all along. It wasn't, but it's what Villeneuve made of it.

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

I actually loved that. Also, it wasn't really a main catalyst in the narrative; they just happened to end up there.

But we all knew K's journey would lead to Deckard. It wasn't a surprise. We were waiting for it. 

18 minutes ago, AC1 said:

You say it as if that was the plan all along. It wasn't, but it's what Villeneuve made of it.

After watching the first movie, you surely asked yourself... was Deckard a replicant or not? 

And then you may have come to the conclusion that.... if we can't tell the difference between a replicant and a human... what's the issue?

That's the idea of Blade Runner.

And so the sequel followed that very simple idea.

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

After watching the first movie, you surely asked yourself... was Deckard a replicant or not? 

And then you may come to the conclusion... that if can't tell the difference... what's the matter???

That's the idea of Blade Runner.

Deckard being a replicant or not is a different discussion. You said something about how they (Deckard and Rachael) are the chosen ones. That's is not something the first movie wants you to believe.

10 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Deckard being a replicant or not is a different discussion. You said something about how they are they chosen ones. That's is not something the first movie wants you to believe.

Well, at the end of the movie Rachelle and Deckard run away together to live some sort of fugitive romance... Well, that's the way I remember the end of the Original cut of the movie.

The Multiple Endings Of Blade Runner Explained

I know the Director's Cut added a clue confirming the true nature of Deckard, but removed the "escape in nature" scene... leaving the future of the two heroes to our imagination.

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well, at the end of the movie Rachelle and Deckard run away together...

They run away because it was Deckard's job to kill her but ... he wasn't going to do that. That means they are now both refugees. The last shot with the elevator doors closing should have been the last time we ever saw them. There's no need to find out what happened to them. Leave that to the imagination of the viewers. Film shouldn't provide us with all the answers.

Most of the people never understood the "resolving" in "The Rise of Skywalker", so I don't really expect them to understand Blade Runner!!! :lol:

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

The Multiple Endings Of Blade Runner Explained

Of course, that 'added' scene in the Theatrical Cut or the International Cut doesn't really make sense.  Look at how green and healthy the world is once you're outside the cities! Why are people fleeing Earth? 

It could be a decent series really...but what's the point? I appreciate Blade Runner 2049 for the fact it is clearly its director's vision. It was a decent sequel and isn't embarrassing to watch in any way. It looks very nice and explores slightly different shades here and there. That's all good. Having said all that, I couldn't for the life of me see the point of it.

Karol

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

It could be a decent series really...but what's the point? I appreciate Blade Runner 2049 for the fact it is clearly its director's vision. It was a decent sequel and isn't embarrassing to watch in any way. It looks very nice and explores slightly different shades here and there. That's all good. Having said all that, I couldn't for the life of me see the point of it.

Karol

Someone could argue that the point of a TV series is that it's an new opportunity for fans to spend more time in the Blade Runner universe. The question is, will a TV series with limited time and budget (let's not even discuss artistic talent) be able to create a fully accomplished Blade Runner world? Probably not. 

Someone else (it could even be the same person) could argue it's a great way to further explore its philosophical themes but I then I absolutely agree with you. The first movie already did that perfectly. Anything more will either be a repetition of the same questions or an attempt to an answer. What's the point of that?

BTW, I think the same applies to the upcoming Alien series.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Television, and Disney, will destroy everything. Everything.

MUHAHAHAHA! 

Don't mind me, just felt that that post was missing a maniacal villain cackle.  

• 7 months later...

Blade Runner 2099’ Series Greenlighted By Amazon With Ridley Scott Executive Producing

Blade Runner 2099, Amazon Studios’ live-action series set in the Blade Runner universe, has been picked up to series for Prime Video.

Ridley Scott, who directed the original 1982 Blade Runner movie, is executive producing the series, a follow-up to the feature film sequel Blade Runner 2049, which was released in 2017 and directed by Denis Villeneuve.

Silka Luisa (Shining Girls) wrote the script and is exec producing Blade Runner 2099, which comes from Alcon Entertainment in association with Scott Free Productions and Amazon Studios.

The project, which marks the first Blade Runner live-action series, had been in priority development at Amazon Studios.

“The original Blade Runner, directed by Ridley Scott, is considered one of the greatest and most influential science-fiction movies of all time, and we’re excited to introduce Blade Runner 2099 to our global Prime Video customers,” said Vernon Sanders, head of global television, Amazon Studios. “We are honored to be able to present this continuation of the Blade Runner franchise, and are confident that by teaming up with Ridley, Alcon Entertainment, Scott Free Productions, and the remarkably talented Silka Luisa, Blade Runner 2099 will uphold the intellect, themes, and spirit of its film predecessors.”

1982’s Blade Runner, which is an adaptation of Philip K. Dick’s novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, is set in a dystopian LA in 2019, in which synthetic humans known as replicants are bio-engineered by the powerful Tyrell Corporation to work on space colonies. When a fugitive group of advanced replicants escape back to Earth, a cop reluctantly agrees to hunt them down. Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young and Edward James Olmos starred.

The 2017 sequel, which is set in 2049, starred Ryan Gosling as a replicant blade runner, who uncovers a secret that threatens to destabilize society. Ford and Olmos reprised their roles from the original and it also featured Ana de Armas, Dave Bautista and Jared Leto.

As indicated by Blade Runner 2099‘s title, the latest installment of the neo-noir sci-fi franchise will be set 50 years after the film sequel.

“We are delighted to continue our working relationship with our friends at Amazon. And we are beyond excited to continue to extend the Blade Runner canon into a new realm with the provocative storyline that Silka has created,” added Alcon Entertainment co-CEOs and co-founders Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson. “Audiences first discovered Ridley Scott’s brilliant vision for Blade Runner 40 years ago, and since then, it has become one of the most influential science-fiction films of all time. Denis Villeneuve’s follow-up sequel, Blade Runner 2049, then became one of the best reviewed sequels of all time. So, we recognize that we have a very high bar to meet with this next installment. Together with Silka and our partners at Amazon, and Scott Free Productions, we hope that we can live up to that standard and delight audiences with the next generation of Blade Runner.”

Elsewhere in the franchise, Blade Runner: Black Lotus is an anime series that debuted late last year on Adult Swim and Crunchyroll. It is set in 2032 and centers around a female replicant, voiced by Jessica Henwick.

Kosove and Johnson are exec producing the series along with Michael Green, who wrote Blade Runner 2049, Ben Roberts and Cynthia Yorkin as well as Scott Free Productions’ David W. Zucker and Clayton Krueger, Frank Giustra, and Isa Dick Hackett. Tom Spezialy has joined the writers room and will also serve as an executive producer.

Source: https://deadline.com/2022/09/blade-runner-2099-series-greenlighted-amazon-ridley-scott-executive-producing-1235119651/

• 5 months later...

Hmmm.....I thought the sequel would be closer in time to 2049, and that it would continue exploring the relationship between Deckard and his daughter, with Ford reprising his role. That seems rather impossible now, regardless if you think Deckard is a replicant or not.

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Maybe they are pushing it forward in time to at last be able to merge it with Alien in some sequel.

This probably will happen at some point in the future, maybe as a Paul W.S. Anderson project? 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, he's going to direct the pilot and will also serve as producer director and executive producer.

He directed a lot of good stuff.

Boardwalk Empire / 7 episodes

The Tudors / 8 episodes

Carnivale / 4 episodes

Six Feet Under / 5 episodes

Game Of Thrones / 6 episodes

The Pacific / 3 episodes 

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Well, he's going to direct the pilot and will also serve as producer director and executive producer.

He directed a lot of good stuff.

Boardwalk Empire / 7 episodes

The Tudors / 8 episodes

Carnivale / 4 episodes

Six Feet Under / 5 episodes

Game Of Thrones / 6 episodes

The Pacific / 3 episodes 

I remember really liking his work on GOT. The S6 opening episode and the S7 finale episode are fantastic for instance.