Simon Franglen's AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER (2022)

LSH

These sites only mention a 13-track version… :blink:

https://www.ccmusic.com/simon-franglen-avatar-the-way-of-water/050087517274

https://www.deepdiscount.com/simon-franglen-avatar-the-way-of-water/050087517274

Worth noting that DeepDiscount says it’s a “Limited Edition.”

EDIT: Just realized this is the LP tracklist that has been discussed.

Makes less and less sense to me to put the shortest program on CD. Those most interested have already bought it digitally. There's no way pressing two CDs would cost so much more than a single CD for them to not put it out.

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Makes less and less sense to me to put the shortest program on CD. Those most interested have already bought it digitally. There's no way pressing two CDs would cost so much more than a single CD for them to not put it out.

Plus, wouldn’t the 22-track version fit on a single CD…?

I don’t get it. The original digital OST program could definitely fit on a CD; it practically seemed designed to. It’s a couple minutes shorter than Horner’s original OST for the first film, and that obviously managed to fit on 1 CD. Maybe Franglen simply prefers the LP program? I doubt it, but who knows. The only things I will say I do like better about this program are (1) it includes “Kids in Peril,” one of my favorite tracks that didn’t make it onto the original digital OST, and (2) the credits song is moved to the end.

It’s also weird that the CD listing (as far as I can see anyway) is currently absent from the US Amazon site. This whole CD release feels very strange, almost as if they don’t really want to let people know it’s even happening. You have to hunt Google just to find out any information about the release, and aside from the old Franglen Tweet which referenced the Film Music Reporter Tweet, the only information out there is random sites that are apparently selling it.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you say, @Thor?

The track amount seems promising, but what is the duration of the CD? Anyone know? Could be superlong tracks, filling the CD to its brink, which - to be honest - the score doesn't sustain.

I also notice that it appears to be heavier on the action material than my own playlist (which really only has one action cue -- the action music isn't terribly exciting, IMO), which mostly focusses on the New Agey stuff. By the way, my playlist is a beautiful 45 minutes.

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

The track amount seems promising, but what is the duration of the CD? Anyone know? Could be superlong tracks, filling the CD to its brink, which - to be honest - the score doesn't sustain.

I also notice that it appears to be heavier on the action material than my own playlist (which really only has one action cue -- the action music isn't terribly exciting, IMO), which mostly focusses on the New Agey stuff. By the way, my playlist is a beautiful 45 minutes.

These tracks have all been previously released on the digital albums as well as the LP. (This is an identical tracklist to the LP.) This program runs 45 minutes. The 22-track digital release was 1 hr 17 minutes.

5 hours ago, scallenger said:

How "limited" is this "Limited Edition"?

Definitely at least not as limited as Indy 5, as that was only really available from one site; this one is in stock a number of places. Still, might be better to grab it sooner rather than later…

Can the LP version not be created from this one, or a close enough approximation?

Nice that it's the longest version they could put on a CD after all. I'd have bought this had it come out when the film did, but not now that more music is separately available. One day I'll buy the expanded download - I've jus been bobbling along with Spotify thus far.

Give how insanely briefly it was available, I'm more inclined to think it's a temporary stock issue.

Having said that, (broken record warning!) some collectors' lives may be easier by making that transition to digital. JNH's Ballad is the first score I've been interested in available on CD in ages.

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

some collectors' lives may be easier by making that transition to digital

I've pretty much done that. DoD sort of cemented the deal for me. Obviously boutique label stuff that is exclusive to CD will be dealt with accordingly. 

I wish someone would post an official hi-res image of that sleeve cover art with the “Music by Simon Franglen”; the stock cover image that has been floating around on the various sites has “Original Motion Picture Soundtrack” across the bottom instead, rather than what you actually get.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2023 at 7:09 AM, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Don't know where exactly to put this information, saw this post from one of the composers of the upcoming Avatar game and I found it amusing how Horner's name wasn't mentioned at all in an interview with Pinar Toprak ("main" composer), but it's the first thing Neal Acree talks about it.

this gonna be super controversial, but I like the game soundtrack more than Way of the Water 👀