Simon Franglen's AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER (2022)

LSH

2 hours ago, D_A_R_T_H said:

Has anyone started to build a complete tracklisting with the unreleased tracks from the movie ?

Not yet but I remember that there is an unreleased cue before Songcord opening, there's a different version of Happiness is Simple that plays before the ost cue Happiness is simple. When I see the movie next time I will try to remember and make some notes.

Anyone else besides me notice there’s a cue towards the end of the “Knife Fight” track (beginning at 2:22, to be exact) that sounds almost like a mixture between Henry Jackman’s “Civil War” leitmotif and the main theme from Michael Giacchino’s two Planet of the Apes films?

I swear I heard a wonderful grand alternate version of the Water Theme during the end credits. Can't find it on the score though. Unless I'm imagining things. It sounded like The Tulkun Return, just slightly differently orchestrated.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I swear I heard a wonderful grand alternate version of the Water Theme during the end credits. Can't find it on the score though. Unless I'm imagining things. It sounded like The Tulkun Return, just slightly differently orchestrated.

When I saw the movie for the second time I used the Shazam app during the end credits and after the Sanctuary part played it couldn’t identify what was playing (right before the songcord started). Maybe this is what you remember? I hadn’t listened to the longer album at this point.

When I see it next time I might try to record the end credits on my phone.

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I noticed that as well. This cue should have been released. BTW, will there be a FYC album? (sorry in case this was discussed already) 

On 27/12/2022 at 3:39 PM, leeallen01 said:

I heard it too. I recognized that it wasn't on the album and got sad, lol. Not sure why it isn't on there.

4 hours ago, LSH said:

please throw out any questions you would like answered! 

Firstly, thanks so much for organising that!

I had a couple of questions that composers are famously reluctant to talk about. Franglen seems unusually willing to engage, so maybe he’ll answer them. 

1) What’s the typical trajectory of a cue from leaving his desk (presumably in a DAW given his synth focus) to finally getting dubbed into the film? How many hands would it pass through?

2) How much room is there for individual artistic expression with a very detail-oriented and opinionated director like Cameron? How locked in to things like the temp are you as a composer?

3) How much of the first film material was tracked in VS rescored or even slightly rearranged for TWOW?

4) With the inclusion of material from the first film, how much was a directorial decision, and how much was suggested or implemented by the music team?

I think it'd be cool if you ask him questions related not only to the score for the second movie, but also the score for the first movie: how was like working with James Horner on that project? What was their proccess in creating the musical soundscape of Pandora for that film?

I've been listening to this a lot (more than any other album this year) and am loving it. I actually quite enjoy Franglen's action music which is strange as I'm not a fan of the modern style but this somehow grabs me. The song is pretty catchy too.

I guess a question I would have for him is; How did you identify and individualise your orchestration choices for the seperate environments/characters? For example the ethereal orchestration of Eywa and Kiri, the industrial orchestration of the RDA, and the delicate orchestration of your underwater material?

Great movie and great score. Once I was immersed back into Pandora I didn’t care that the story had shades of the first film. Hope it makes whatever it needs to make so we get the next one. The score works gangbusters too. I don’t think any other composer could have continued in Horners footsteps. Brilliant on all levels. Wish the expanded album gave us a couple more cues…

Jon Broxton’s review is up:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2022/12/29/avatar-the-way-of-water-simon-franglen/

There are several outstanding cues where the Family theme takes center stage. For example, in “Sanctuary,” Franglen embellishes the theme with some rousing tribal percussion and nativist choral chants that are wonderfully evocative. In “Into the Water” Franglen re-arranges the theme for an array of delicate wordless female vocalists accompanied by unusual, experimental-sounding electronic textures that really enhance the sense of ‘alien-ness’ about this Pandoran culture, while also making it sound familiar and welcoming. In “The Tulkun Return,” which underscores a scene where hundreds upon hundreds of whale-like creatures descend upon the Metkayina lagoon – the theme is rousing, jubilant, full of life and energy.

Is it just me, or is he incorrect about this? In "Into the Water" and "The Tulkun Return," that's not the Family theme, but rather the Water Tribe (Metkayina) theme. Totally different theme, which he seems to have missed. Doesn't mention Kiri's theme in his review, either.

Other than that, good review; it's nice to see so much positivity online about this score.

10 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Jon Broxton’s review is up:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2022/12/29/avatar-the-way-of-water-simon-franglen/

Is it just me, or is he incorrect about this? In "Into the Water" and "The Tulkun Return," that's not the Family theme, but rather the Water Tribe (Metkayina) theme. Totally different theme, which he seems to have missed. Doesn't mention Kiri's theme in his review, either.

Other than that, good review; it's nice to see so much positivity online about this score.

Yeah he is mixing up the Family theme with the Way of Water/ Underwater theme. The Metkayina clan also have a theme that plays in 2 cues (horn solo in Sanctuary) and at the end of Into the Water in the piano. It’s a really smartly written score.

Which piece has the choir singing "oel ngati kameie" very clear and loud?

I seem to have lost the piece where it happens... haha. Can't find it no matter how many times I search for some reason.

Nevermind haha - I found it. It was in Songchord opening.

5 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

Yeah he is mixing up the Family theme with the Way of Water/ Underwater theme. The Metkayina clan also have a theme that plays in 2 cues (horn solo in Sanctuary) and at the end of Into the Water in the piano. It’s a really smartly written score.

Could you please give timestamps for the Metkayina theme in those two cues? That’s interesting if true; I was going off of the leitmotif/theme post a page or two back that seemed to label what you call the underwater theme as the theme for the water tribe (as well as being an underwater theme).

On 29/12/2022 at 10:28 PM, Tydirium said:

Don’t think this interview has been posted yet:

I just listened to this and Franglen calls the underwater theme “the way of water theme” so it’s a safe bet that that is the official name of the theme (in into the water, return of the tulkun etc).

23 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I agree. Does anyone know if this is going to get a CD release?

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/simon-franglen-avatar-the-way-of-water/hnum/11131277

15 hours ago, thestat said:

The anvil exceeds in Aliens (it is amazing to hear Horner's use of percussion in this track, the snare drums, timpanis and anvil 'speaking' to one another)

Isn't this the cue that Cameron replaced in the film with music from the original Alien?

If so, bad form.

I listened to the album for the first time this morning. It won't be in my top 10 of 2022, but Franglen did an excellent job.

His new family theme is gorgeous and the way he uses Horner's material is comendable.

Solid score, I will revisit this more often in the future.

6 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

The dissonant strings in 'A New Star' are so effective in that scene as the ships descend. My small local art-house cinema showed the film, which was a nice surprise, and they have basically the perfect cinema, with amazingly comfortable sofa-like chairs and a small 50 seat room with a screen that, although still large, seems like a home cinema. The sound system is the best I've ever experienced, and my seat was vibrating with the sheer force of the bass in that scene as the ships' massive thrusters fire. Incredible moment with Franglen's apocalyptic score accompanying it.

Where was this?

I think this is a nod to Horner's theme for loss or tragedy.

at the very beginning of Sanctuary - 

Sounds like this repeated phrase in tragic moments from Horner's score, here at 5:25 - 

And again in the battle's low point at 7:34 -