New Podcast Series: The Complete John Williams Television Music Walkthrough

Thor

@Thor That's really a great feature about a side of Williams, that probably has had too little attention on this forum so far. Probably because there is so little published on CD so far.

Entertaining and informative.

Thank you for that.

@Thor I'm so excited to listen to this. Thank you for creating it and sharing your accumulation of knowledge on these early shows. I'm excited to dive in later today!

I've tried to investigate this music myself a bit over the years, watching what I could find on Youtube for Bachelor Father, Checkmate, Wagon Train, etc. but I'm looking forward to listening to someone else do the work for me!

Really super excited to listen to this Thor. Well done. And thanks for putting the time and effort into the research and production. Hopefully we can discuss it in depth over a beer(s) one day soon :)

This was really awesome to listen to @Thor. Very informative, well presented and I appreciate the organized way you went through the different TV series' and the fun and interesting details you provided. 

My favorite music clips are:

General Electric Theatre: S10E03 10 Days in the Sun - really playful and fun!

Bachelor Father: I really enjoy the main title theme!

Wagon Train: "Jumpin' Jack Rabbit" track from the OST is really fun and something about the melody makes me think of the main theme from Bachelor Flat.

Other thoughts:

Really cool bit of info that Williams may actually appear in an episode of Playhouse 90 as a pianist. I'd love to see that if the the episode ever surfaces. 

With 45 episodes scored for Bachelor Father plus the theme for Season 3, man I'd love to hear all of that stuff. I have a soft spot for the lighter TV music of these older eras. 

Thanks again for sharing the information and putting it together so nicely, I am excited for Part II!

Excellent, excellent podcast.  I am amazed at how good these early pieces are.  They mostly have a straight hollywood sound but with little touches that will develop into Williams's signature sound.  Crazy to think how fast these things needed to be written with no expectation that they would be remembered beyond one night.  

That jazz piece midway through--damn.  

Hello Thor did you find out a thing more about the obscure TV Pilot/Movie that I mentioned a few months ago? I sent an image of an article from Variety reporting thwt Williams would score it. 

3 hours ago, stravinsky said:

Hello Thor did you find out a thing more about the obscure TV Pilot/Movie that I mentioned a few months ago? I sent an image of an article from Variety reporting thwt Williams would score it. 

You mean the CBS Playhouse thing? No, haven't been able to find it yet.