John Williams/Stéphane Denève to conduct the Saito Kinen Orchestra in Tokyo, Japan (Sept. 5, 2023)

AOP

2 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Would be convenient if they had a pay-per-view option.

When DG launched their online platform (then called DG Premium), they did have PPV. In fact, I watched Tanglewood's violin 2 concerto concert in 2021 that way as I recall. Earlier this year, DG switched to this Stage+ subscription model. Presumably the PPV was not working financially and they went the route of other streaming options in the classical and opera world. 

Interestingly, they also provide audio only albums on the platform (typically in Atmos), especially with their new releases. I suspect they either see this as a way to get some of the Apple Music/Qobuz/Tidal/Presto business directly or perhaps even as a marketing tool for new releases. The difference is that premium content such as this upcoming Tokyo concert are not on demand. I suspect that after the album makes it to Blu-ray (and maybe even Great Performances) that the concert will quietly go back on Stage+ a few months later and then be up there. That is the case with Vienna 1, Berlin, the aforementioned Tanglewood concert and Tanglewood 75th. Also recommended is Waldbühne 2015 with the Rattle conducting the Berlin Phil in a film music concert. 

One other oddity - the Tokyo concert listing does not show the encores in the track list. Just the published program. 

Anyway, I have a sub to Stege+ but I have to say I don't watch it enough and will probably start to go monthly only when I want to watch something (such as this weekend). 

My guess on any Tokyo physical releases is that we will see them around February for JW's 92nd birthday. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Would be convenient if they had a pay-per-view option.

When DG launched their online platform (then called DG Premium), they did have PPV. In fact, I watched Tanglewood's violin 2 concerto concert in 2021 that way as I recall. Earlier this year, DG switched to this Stage+ subscription model. Presumably the PPV was not working financially and they went the route of other streaming options in the classical and opera world. 

Interestingly, they also provide audio only albums on the platform (typically in Atmos), especially with their new releases. I suspect they either see this as a way to get some of the Apple Music/Qobuz/Tidal/Presto business directly or perhaps even as a marketing tool for new releases. The difference is that premium content such as this upcoming Tokyo concert are not on demand. I suspect that after this concert makes it to Blu-ray (and maybe even Great Performances) that the concert will quietly go back on Stage+ a few months later and then be up there. That is the case with Vienna 1, Berlin, the aforementioned Tanglewood concert and Tanglewood 75th. Also recommended is Waldbühne 2015 with the Rattle conducting the Berlin Phil in a film music concert. 

One other oddity - the Tokyo concert listing does not show the encores in the track list. Just the published program. 

Anyway, I have a sub to Stege+ but I have to say I don't watch it enough and will probably start to go monthly only when I want to watch something (such as this weekend). 

My guess on any Tokyo physical releases is that we will see them around February for JW's 92nd birthday. 

2 hours ago, lairdo said:

I'd like a pay-per-download model for these kinds of things. I understand that it's virtually impossible to release the entire live catalogue, while it's much easier to make all or a lot of it available online. But I'm not going to subscribe to a service that I would very much like to use *occasionally*, but not regularly. And subscribing on demand makes little sense. But I'd be happy to pay for an official video download in good quality of selected concerts from their streaming catalogue.

5 hours ago, lairdo said:

I think there is a good chance we'll get this on CD (and SACD for Japan for that matter). I think Berlin and Vienna did well for DG - beyond their expectations - and while Vienna 2 was probably too much of a repeat and would eat into their sales of the various current releases from Vienna, adding the Japan venue and orchestra would be complimentary. It would also have greater appeal in Asia. 

Thinking about it, much though I love DG (for their catalogue and my growing up with it), they don't have the best track record when it comes to making available seemingly redundant recordings from their live archives. Their Karajan catalogue is of course extensive and in itself redundant (Karajan recorded, in a studio setting, full cycles of major works three or even four times) - but there is a wealth of life recordings by him (radio broadcasts and such) that sometimes surpass the existing catalogue relelases (that Salzburg Alpensinfonie!) but that have never been made available as a regular CD/LP release. I don't know how much of that would fall directly into DG's jurisdiction, it's notable that he's always been one of their major artists - and other contemporaries have fared much better when it comes to posthumous live releases, like the countless releases of live Bruckner recordings by Günter Wand, all in addition to the 3 (at least) official cycles released when he was still alive.

12 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

As far as I know, the suite was performed only once before, at Tanglewood, and instead of Flying, the third movement was Adventures on Earth.

That's really strange. There were perfect opportunites to perform it with organ back in Vienna and Berlin. Adventures on Earth makes the suite longer which is also perfect.

Anyways, I was really impressed by the performance of the Saito Kinen Orchestra and hope for an audio release in the near future!

Dang. I need to amend my mini review now 😂 I think being so caught up in the experience skewed my perception of things a bit.

Again, “Stargazers” was stunning. So glad everyone can enjoy the performance now!

I also got goose bumps (again!) when the organ came in…

”Hedwig’s theme” was somewhat ruined by the distracting squeaky pedal sound from the celesta… did anyone else hear it? 

Also, JW is really starting to look his age. Noticeably older than the videos from Berlin and Vienna.

Could someone reiterate the story of "Stargazers"? I've had it on a bootleg since the early 2000s, but I forget its origins, or if we've had threads about it before. Googling doesn't yield desired results.

The Stage Plus broadcast made up for not getting tickets! Loved the smiles on the musicians faces. And Williams' expressions while conducting Schindler's List. And a nice moment a the end of Darth vader... it looked like Williams recognized a fan at the end from the Saturday concert. He saw someone in the front row, smiled, and said "You came back" - according to my lip reading skills. 

Was the very end of Rebellion is Reborn - the last few seconds, a litttle different?

And why were the conductor's scores on the podium. Williams didn't open most of them:)

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Could someone reiterate the story of "Stargazers"? I've had it on a bootleg since the early 2000s, but I forget its origins, or if we've had threads about it before. Googling doesn't yield desired results.

I don't recall reading much about it, other than it's a renamed and slightly revised ET and Me. Can someone describe the exact differences?

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Could someone reiterate the story of "Stargazers"?

It's the slower, more elegant version of "E.T. And Me" that premiered in Boston in 2009.  I suppose the only "story" is that he probably wrote it for the Boston Pops harpist at the time, Ann Hobson-Pilot.

12 hours ago, Thor said:

I've had it on a bootleg since the early 2000s, but I forget its origins, or if we've had threads about it before. Googling doesn't yield desired results.

There's no need for bootlegs, it's been available on the Keith Lockhart "Lights, Camera... Music!" album for 6 years now.

Thanks for the reminder/info. For some reason, the "Stargazers" bootleg track in my collection is listed as 2007, and I thought I acquired it a couple of years before that even, but I guess the year is wrong. (I do obviously own the Keith Lockhart CD in digital format as well, but completely forgot it was on that).

Great concert. I hope they will release it on Blue Ray.

Not sure how much was edited afterwards. I think the performances were mostly very good. Nice to see Gabor Tarkovi on principal trumpet, he was former principal trumpet of the Berlin Philharmonic. I liked the version of Schindler's List, however I found the violin sounded a bit like an electric violin. Yeah Williams looking like his age, which is ok. Still amazing that he can fly to Japan to conduct a concert like this.

44 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I meant in 'tan'. They only have 'black' on the website. 😄

I'm getting a slight 'Balok' from Star Trek vibe...

IMG_3125.webp

IMG_3124.jpeg

6 hours ago, Nemesis said:

I like this version but it's almost in slow motion.

Kinda what I like about it, as I'm now listening to it on repeat to help me fall asleep. 😴

Also, it still shows up in the embedded YouTube link, and it was posted by the Pops themselves, so it's unlikely to get taken down (and certainly not for copyright reasons).

17 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Just listened to the first half.

I wasn’t familiar with Sound the Bells at all, but the brass, most particularly the horns, were really impressive. Very nice piece too.

Tributes, however, is not my thing at all. Glad it wasn’t written for me. Wonder what the brief was.

Far and Away. I still don’t understand why we can’t have the Galway section played by a tin whistle. I bought one for €15 in Ireland, how hard can it be for an orchestra to get one? The tempo was better, but still a bit too fast for my taste. The Berlin Philharmonic played the jig better as well. The brass was much more vibrant there, but it’s also the hall: this one might have great reverb, but I mostly only hear the top and bottom of the orchestra, there’s no middle layer at all. The vibrato in the flute during the love theme was amazing, though, but there was one trumpet flub, Blowing Off Steam was on the slow side and the emotion that the BPO whips up during the final moments of the piece was sorely lacking here.

ET. Opening with Three Million Lightyears from Home worked so well after Far and Away. Is this the piece as written for the film, or a concert arrangement? They played that piece in such a moving way too, especially the woodwinds were terrific. And am I glad nobody clapped during the whole suite, except from two people on the left after the first movement. Stargazers was good, but Lockhart’s take impressed me much more. Still, I wondered. And one person coughed. One. Take not, average wretched classical concertgoer. I repeat: ONE PERSON COUGHED. God. I’m glad they finally nailed the pizzicato strings in A flat near the end of the flying theme too (usually the horns come in too late after that), but most definitely no bells up here. And you need to them so badly.

So you've subscribed to Stage+ ?