SPOILER TALK: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Jay

17 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its one of the elements I most hated about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: turning it all into a soap-opera a-la latter-day Star Wars. "Why, Mutt couldn't by any chance be...INDY'S SON!?!"

Exactly. It's absolutely cloying.

Also, makes it absolutely impossible for the next movie to ignore those events. You can even pretend this new movie is set before KOTCS, due to Ford's age.

It makes the Indiana Jones movies slaves to two of the buzz words I hate the most in current blockbuster filmmaking: continuity and canon (others would be Cinematic Universe and post-credits scene).

5 minutes ago, Romão said:

It makes the Indiana Jones movies slaves to two of the buzz words I hate the most in current blockbuster filmmaking: continuity and canon

See, I personally do prefer film series where the entries have this novelistic unity, telling one continuous story across multiple entries.

But where I do agree completely is in that this kind of storytelling is simply not in the DNA of Indiana Jones. It is manifestly an anthology, not a cycle.

22 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

See, I personally do prefer film series where the entries have this novelistic unity, telling one continuous story across multiple entries.

But where I do agree completely is in that this kind of storytelling is simply not in the DNA of Indiana Jones. It is manifestly an anthology, not a cycle.

That's absolutely fair and comes down to personal preference.

But we're in absolute agreement that it doesn't quite fit with Indiana Jones 

28 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I want to frame these exchanges.

I don't want to be too negative, per the forum rules, however, I don't see what to love in this topic.

Too soon for the "Indiana Jones Disenchantment Thread"?

6 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Since this is the spoiler thread, from what I'm gathering I believe it does end with them back together. 

Like I suggested above, I think this is likely as well.

41 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Like I suggested above, I think this is likely as well.

I have a feeling that Last Crusade line Indy has been saying off screen in these trailers, 'been looking for this all my life" is in reference to ending up with Marion at the end.

Calling it now.

Just now, JTWfan77 said:

Of course we can't have older men aging gracefully and maintaining their stature

That's a hard thing to do in an action movie.

Action heroes age gracefully when they age offscreen.

So Indy and Marion are separated/divorced in this? Does Karen Allen even appear in the film?

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's a hard thing to do in an action movie.

Action heroes age gracefully when they age offscreen.

Alex Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi 

Bernard Shaw as Theoden

Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven

16 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Alex Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi 

Bernard Shaw as Theoden

Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven

Those examples are very, very different to Indiana Jones. Either through the nature of the character (as introduced, old Ben is the old mentor type, not the swashbuckler type) or the nature of the film itself: do you really want an Indy film that's like Unforgiven!?

22 minutes ago, Brónach said:

on a different note, i'm right now thinking a lot on how Uncharted incorporated the soap opera elements and retroactive continuity in a non cloying way (for me), as opposed to whatever Kingdom is

A lot of anthologies try to incoporate cyclical elements (tying the entries together into a story) in recent years: The Craig Bonds did it beginning with SPECTRE, and it didn't work very well; and Mission Impossible started doing it beginning with Fallout (and presumably with the next two entries) and for the meanwhile I'm not feeling it either.

23 minutes ago, Brónach said:

nothing quite could have prepared me for the low key misogyny bubbling here and there in fandoms around certain things.

TLJ (and to a lesser extent TFA) online reaction was a sign of things to come.  

It's like an industrial complex of feigned outrage that can't be stopped

46 minutes ago, Brónach said:

nothing quite could have prepared me for the low key misogyny bubbling here and there in fandoms around certain things.

Not even the public discourse of the past 10 years?

56 minutes ago, Brónach said:

see: Ghostbusters, a mediocre cynical comedy that Hollywood and fans now pretend to have been something else entirely

I've never been a fan of Ghostbusters. Only watched it once and didn't care for it. But of course, since people saw it as kids, now they think it's an absolute masterpiece.

Well, since my childhood was in the early 2000s, I hereby declare the live-action Scooby-Doo from 2002 as a classic.

It's not good, but it made me happy as a child. Just like Ghostbusters.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

I won't give you an explanation, but once Indy 6 is released with the Tintin crossover, it will make sense of everything.

I heard they were already filmed and in the bag.  

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

I think the issue is they’re trying to tell character stories about 700 million year old fellas and there are only so many ways you can go.

The issue is they made this movie to undermine and kill the Indiana Jones character, but were caught early doing so, so they recut it to make it less offensive - and in doing so, took the movie's entire reason to exist, and left the movie to stand on its story and character crafting, which were never the important focus of the creeps and creepettes at Lucasfilm.

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

There's some serious spoiler chat going on over at the raven forums for anyone interested 

Ha! I just checked it out. The Marion bit is almost exactly the kind of thing I predicted above, just a different callback. Sounds sort of sweet, actually.

Had no idea that Raven forum even existed.

1 minute ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Ha! I just checked it out. The Marion bit is almost exactly the kind of thing I predicted above, just a different callback. Sounds sort of sweet, actually.

Had no idea that Raven forum even existed.

it was a fun place to be online in 2008. (probably could say that for most social media/forums for the time)

very non-toxic kotcs discussion. just some overall good fans.  it was down for quite some time though over the past years, mainly why I never go there any more. the only discussion these days there is DoD for obvious reasons.

10 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Ha! I just checked it out.

Me too! Ha, I saw a lot of spoilers blacked out... in the spoiler thread. Wtf??

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Those examples are very, very different to Indiana Jones. Either through the nature of the character (as introduced, old Ben is the old mentor type, not the swashbuckler type) or the nature of the film itself: do you really want an Indy film that's like Unforgiven!?

Funny, was Mangold was announced as the director, the first thing I thought of was Unforgiven. Could a film like that have worked? Possibly. Would it have really been an Indiana Jones film? Definitely not.

37 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I didn’t think there was anything that would make me want to see this movie really succeed,

You don't want it to succeed for Williams's sake?  I really wanted/want his last big blockbuster score to go with a true blockbuster movie.  

Kind of surprised to learn about Marion. I remember thinking their falling in love again and marriage in Crystal Skull seemed forced. Happy to hear her theme again though, especially if Williams varies it a bit to fit the scenes it's used in - solo instrument etc

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

there's this weird late stage sequel that treats it like it was E.T. or something

Indeed. Afterlife was so reverential to the original Ghostbusters that it is almost of contradiction of the spirit of the original movie. It's like that movie was made as sequel to the status the first movie gained in pop culture rather than as s sequel to the movie itself 

7 hours ago, Tom said:

You don't want it to succeed for Williams's sake?  I really wanted/want his last big blockbuster score to go with a true blockbuster movie.  

I actually feel awful for JW in general.

14 hours ago, Brónach said:

Could you explain?

14 hours ago, Brónach said:

Ghostbusters, a mediocre cynical comedy that Hollywood and fans now pretend to have been something else entirely

Although the Bill Murray character is a bit cynical, I've never thought of GHOSTBUSTERS as a cynical film. I mean, it's not ACE IN THE HOLE, or THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS.

13 hours ago, Brónach said:

there's this weird late stage sequel that treats it like it was E.T. or something

Perish the thought!

6 hours ago, Brónach said:

does the mute button no longer exist?

You have to go into your profile settings - Account>Ignored Users.  Then you can type in a user name to ignore that person.