Alan Silvestri - Mouse Hunt (2023 Varese Deluxe Edition)

Faleel

I wonder who arranged "I'll be home for Christmas" ... if I remember correctly it was Bruce Fowler. That's a nice one! The rest I don't really miss from the 30 minute release...

Is this a new thing with Varése, not releasing track lengths on their website? They did this on Badelt's Time Machine as well, but previous releases contain them.

• 4 weeks later...

Huh. That's one of the least problematic fuckups to make but still a bit wtf. No wonder they didn't put up samples :lol:

They didn’t put up samples for City Hall either, and that master didn’t have issues (no surprise there, since Mike Mattesino and Neil Bulk produced it).

I think they just didn’t put up samples because they couldn’t be bothered, lol.

Yavar

On 25/7/2023 at 2:02 PM, Bespin said:

Has anyone received the new expansion yet? No word from Jwfan?

I did today, have already listened to it, fun score.

2 minutes ago, JTW said:

I did today, have already listened to it, fun score.

Do you have the reversed channel version, or a corrected one?

21 minutes ago, JTW said:

The CD version. 

It seems that there is a default on the original pressed CD where the channels are reversed.

I can’t tell the difference but then again  I never noticed the same issue on the original Varese release of The Cowboys after all those years.

55 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Did you turn your back to the loudspeakers?

Naturally, I always listen to scores that way.

47 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It seems that there is a default on the original pressed CD where the channels are reversed.

I know, I was only pulling your leg. ;) 

Tbh I had already listened to the score when I read about the issue on the forum, so I forgot to check if the channels were reversed or not. To my old and ordinary ears it seemed fine, but that doesn't mean it was right, and frankly I wasn't paying attention to what side the trumpets or the cellos are on, could be reversed. 

2 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Listening to this now. The channels are definitely reversed - violins on the right, basses on the left, bassoon centre-left. Top notch QC from Varese here. :sarcasm:

The original album was correct.

But can we simply invert the channels in Audacity, or is it necessary for them to redo the entire mix because the problem lies within the new mix?

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

But can we simply invert the channels in Audacity, or is it necessary for them to redo the entire mix because the problem lies within the new mix?

Swap left and right. Job done. :rock2:

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

But can we simply invert the channels in Audacity

And how can I do that with the CD without having to  stand with my back turned on the loudspeakers or swapping the speakers?

1 minute ago, JTW said:

And how can I do that with the CD without having to  stand with my back turned on the loudspeakers or swapping the speakers?

If Varèse recognizes the problem, they'll issue replacement discs.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

If Varèse recognizes the problem, they'll issue replacement discs.

Wow, two releases in a batch, both of them faulty. That must be a record. I wouldn’t be the person at Varèse Sarabande right now who approved the releases and didn’t consult with the manufacturer once they received the finished product. 

9 minutes ago, JTW said:

Wow, two releases in a batch, both of them faulty. That must be a record. I wouldn’t be the person at Varèse Sarabande right now who approved the releases and didn’t consult with the manufacturer once they received the finished product. 

If I understand correctly, the problem with the Goldsmith CD is the responsibility of the manufacturer, not Varèse's.

As for Mouse Hunt, we don't know yet if Varèse recognizes the problem and if it's their mix that is like that, or if it's a problem introduced by the manufacturer.

21 minutes ago, JTW said:

Switch the left and right signal cable from the CD player to the amplifier, or ditto for the loudspeaker cables.

45 minutes ago, Bespin said:

If I understand correctly, the problem with the Goldsmith CD is the responsibility of the manufacturer, not Varèse's.

As for Mouse Hunt, we don't know yet if Varèse recognizes the problem and if it's their mix that is like that, or if it's a problem introduced by the manufacturer.

Nonetheless there’s an issue with both of their releases of a single batch. 

42 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Switch the left and right signal cable from the CD player to the amplifier, or ditto for the loudspeaker cables.

Of course I’m not doing that. ;)

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Put the CD upside-down then.

Thanks for another useful suggestion, but I think I’ll wait for the replacement Disc. Until then I’ll pretend like I don’t know about the channels being reversed.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Even then the people at Varèse should have checked the CD (at least a couple of them) before shipping them. In this regard it’s their fault, too. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

it's likely an issue I would never have discovered on my own!

Me, neither. So from now on I’ll consider it not having any issue.

12 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

Complete nonsense. It’s screwed up and they’re bullshitting their way out of fixing it.

Maybe they just wanted to give us a new spin on the material, so that even the OST tracks wouldn't be the same as we already knew them!

24 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

Complete nonsense. It’s screwed up and they’re bullshitting their way out of fixing it.

Agreed. What a load of cobblers. I sincerely doubt that Alan Silvestri would have gone for an unusual orchestral setup. This isn't a quirky Bernard Herrmann score, it's a standard symphony orchestra which would almost certainly have been setup in the usual way (left to right: violins to double basses, then behind horns, woodwind, brass) and I would be astonished if Alan Silvestri randomly decided to switch the layout to the opposite of the usual setup for this one score. Love his music to bits, but that kind of experimenting just isn't really his thing.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

In recent years I've learned to always wait for the second batch before ordering from Varese. 

They won't fix it, though.

8 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Agreed. What a load of cobblers. I sincerely doubt that Alan Silvestri would have gone for an unusual orchestral setup. This isn't a quirky Bernard Herrmann score, it's a standard symphony orchestra which would almost certainly have been setup in the usual way (left to right: violins to double basses, then behind horns, woodwind, brass) and I would be astonished if Alan Silvestri randomly decided to switch the layout to the opposite of the usual setup for this one score. Love his music to bits, but that kind of experimenting just isn't really his thing.

The OST is the standard setup; the film is the standard setup; there's also this post on fsm:

"I can assure you the channels were not reversed in my original stereo fold down of the film mixes. I don’t remember ever doing a true stereo soundtrack mix but if I had the channels would not have been reversed."

- Dennis Sands

[the score's recording engineer]

So it's just Varese deliberately deciding to flip them for no reason at all; or them not admitting to a fuckup.

I missed what the issue is, but do I understand correctly that it sounds like the orchestra is reversed?

So the violins on the right instead of left?

I'm not someone very busy with mixes etc, so an honest question. What is so bad about that?

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

They won't fix it, though.

Wasn't there a release with an error they corrected on the second batch without acknowledging it?

5 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I missed what the issue is, but do I understand correctly that it sounds like the orchestra is reversed?

I'm not someone very busy with mixes etc, so an honest question. What is so bad about that?

It doesn't bother me either. Just consider it an ingenious orchestra layout. 

5 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Things would also be in the middle that weren't, Things that wouldn't, would be.

Dogs and Cats would be living together, and mass hysteria.

8 minutes ago, Signals said:

Things would also be in the middle that weren't, Things that wouldn't, would be.

If the only mixing error is flipped channels, things that used to be in the middle would remain in the middle.