Barbie - Mark Ronson And Andrew Wyatt

TBO1711

This is one of those typical big films where they're only gonna release the VA album and not the score.

Maybe somewhere in the future or as a FYC. But I don't think we should expect it anytime soon.

Yes, nice tidbit. Of course the Yamaha CS-80 was Vangelis' preferred synth, so would be cool if they tapped into some of that sound. Either way, count me intrigued for this score in a whole other way than I would have if it had beeen Desplat.

I wonder if the songtrack will have such a mass appeal that they don't want another similarly named album out there with all that 'background stuff' that no one cares about.

I'd probably only be interested in such an album if the score contains any interesting variations on Dance The Night.

I don't even think this movie needs a score album. Much of the music in it are just pop songs, with a few low-key score cues for the moments they didn't have songs. The most interesting part of the score is how they used the main rhythm of the Dua Lipa song in kind of a military way to represent Mattel, but still.

The movie is just okay. A few good jokes here and there, but overall very mild. It starts much better than it ends. But I still saw it on a date, so that was nice :lol:

If the score is as brief as it sounds (and I haven't seen it), would anyone really want Desplat to have provided a small amount of score to just fit in between the songs? I think asking the producers/supervisors themselves to fill in the gaps was the easiest way for everyone.

I find myself wanting to kill this obsession people have for their favourite composer to take on any and all projects and see their name in the credits, without considering whether the film is actually the sort of thing that needs their talents and musical development.

On 22/7/2023 at 11:41 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Agreed. First 30-40 minutes were the best and then it became a bit of a mixed bag, with still some really strong parts.

Yavar

I agree. It seemed to go on too long.  Reminded me of another Mattel movie, the Cannon Films Masters of the Universe, which also started out fun and kinda cool in his imaginary land, but then got less fun when He-Man went to the real world and met Rhea Perlman to learn about feminism.    

The Barbie land stuff was all pretty funny and well thought out early on, and I actually really enjoyed their initial foray into the real world. Ken's euphoria at discovering the patriarchy, contrasted with what Barbie was going through (my favorite moment in the film was probably her with the old woman at the bus stop). But once the movie started digging into the main human characters (America Ferrera, her daughter, and most frustrating of all, Will Ferrell's Mattel executive character), it really started to lose me. All of the Mattel board room stuff was more cringe than clever, and too many punches were pulled so that by the end it just left me with the bad taste in my mouth of a cynical corporate product, despite it seeming like it might be more than that early on.

Yavar

I felt like Will Ferrell was playing a slight variation of his Elf character wanting to be tickled and such. It was weird. 

Yes, the woman on the bench scene was indeed more profound than the dialogue heavy bits. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Kind of like TFA?

Yeah, actually. Except at least TFA had some really *great* stuff (that lightsaber duel in the snow for example) in the second half, while nothing in the second half of Barbie was as good as the best stuff in the opening half.

But even the worst stuff in TFA didn’t frustrate me as much as the Mattel board characters in Barbie.

Yavar

They (Hollywood) really only knows one reaction: give ‘em more.  A Mattelverse I suppose.  I’m picturing a timeline of upcoming Barbie and He-Man projects, some film, some streaming. 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

They (Hollywood) really only knows one reaction: give ‘em more.  A Mattelverse I suppose.  I’m picturing a timeline of upcoming Barbie and He-Man projects, some film, some streaming. 

Polly Pocket.

47 minutes ago, Signals said:

Polly Pocket.

There are definitely things you could do with that...

11 hours ago, Andy said:

A Mattelverse I suppose.

What was that you said? A Mattelverse? Wish granted.

With dozens of children’s toys on their film slate, 14 Mattel properties are in active development, including “Barney,” “Polly Pocket,” “Thomas and Friends” and “American Girl.”

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/barbie-sequel-mattel-films-barney-hot-wheels-1235680302/

The list includes:

1. Barney - Produced by Daniel Kaluuya, an "A24-type" of "surrealistic" movie.
  2. Polly Pocket - Directed by Lena Dunham and starring Lily Collins
  3. Hot Wheels - Produced by JJ Abrams, "grounded and gritty"
  4. Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots - Starring Vin Diesel
  5. American Girl - a family comedy
  6. Magic 8 Ball - a PG-13 Thriller
  7. Masters of the Universe (as you guessed)
  8. Major Matt Mason - Starring Tom Hanks
  9. UNO - A movie
  10. Wishbone - Family-friendly adventure comedy
  11. Matchbox - An action movie.
  12. Thomas & Friends - A fantasy film.
  13. View Master - An adventure film
  14. Christmas Balloon - A family drama based on a true story of Mattel donating toys.

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Let people have fun christ

Hey, I'm not stopping people having fun! Just a film like this comes along that's very song-driven, a favourite composer doesn't get the assignment and people sulk. There are probably better things for Desplat to be working on.

10 hours ago, TSMefford said:

What was that you said? A Mattelverse? Wish granted.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/barbie-sequel-mattel-films-barney-hot-wheels-1235680302/

The list includes:

1. Barney - Produced by Daniel Kaluuya, an "A24-type" of "surrealistic" movie.
  2. Polly Pocket - Directed by Lena Dunham and starring Lily Collins
  3. Hot Wheels - Produced by JJ Abrams, "grounded and gritty"
  4. Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots - Starring Vin Diesel
  5. American Girl - a family comedy
  6. Magic 8 Ball - a PG-13 Thriller
  7. Masters of the Universe (as you guessed)
  8. Major Matt Mason - Starring Tom Hanks
  9. UNO - A movie
  10. Wishbone - Family-friendly adventure comedy
  11. Matchbox - An action movie.
  12. Thomas & Friends - A fantasy film.
  13. View Master - An adventure film
  14. Christmas Balloon - A family drama based on a true story of Mattel donating toys.

No Max Steel movie? That was my favorite toy as a kid.

These two did a nice work, the movie works as a musical, they wrote 4 new songs and produced the Billie Eilish one; the best one IMHO is the first, the lyrics and vibe reminded of 1980s songs like Tootsie. It was a smart move let them write the score, it's very integrated with the songs. Ronson & Wyatt are good!

Yes, that's why I think it was best for them to do the score, and not have another composer come in and want to do their own themes but have to work around the songs.

Surprisingly I like Eilish's song (as I'm not a fan otherwise) and of course Dua Lipa's.  I'm not a fan of the remix of Barbie Girl though - the song is too far in the background.

• 2 weeks later...