Star Wars: The Story in Music (2023 concert debuts new live pieces)

Pat_S

7 hours ago, Pat_S said:

This is just a theory, so don't take anything I'm saying here as fact - but Mark Graham recently posted on Instagram this picture: https://www.instagram.com/p/CvdIKBiSt4Z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA. I recognise the cue as being Riding the Lizard from Revenge of the Sith. The recent date in the bottom left seems to imply that this version of the score has been prepared recently (and that he's not just looking in the archives for fun). (Keep in mind I have no idea how the JKMS library is set up - this could mean nothing). Perhaps this part of the score is being prepared for a future concert (which seems an odd choice), or maybe even an LTP performance of Revenge of the Sith (though the formatting is a little different to other LTP scores I've seen).. Any thoughts?

image.png

Whatever the reason, it will be an interesting one! My bet is that they are preparing the material for LTP performances.

2 hours ago, Score said:

Whatever the reason, it will be an interesting one! My bet is that they are preparing the material for LTP performances.

That’s my hope - I’d pay lots of money to see it. 

12 hours ago, Pat_S said:

This is just a theory, so don't take anything I'm saying here as fact - but Mark Graham recently posted on Instagram this picture: https://www.instagram.com/p/CvdIKBiSt4Z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA. I recognise the cue as being Riding the Lizard from Revenge of the Sith. The recent date in the bottom left seems to imply that this version of the score has been prepared recently (and that he's not just looking in the archives for fun). (Keep in mind I have no idea how the JKMS library is set up - this could mean nothing). Perhaps this part of the score is being prepared for a future concert (which seems an odd choice), or maybe even an LTP performance of Revenge of the Sith (though the formatting is a little different to other LTP scores I've seen).. Any thoughts?

image.png

I have his email address.  I should ask him what this was from. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/08/2023 at 3:41 AM, Pat_S said:

image.png

Unfortunately it's not for an LTP, but as part of an upcoming Star Wars concert...

This are the cues from the prequels that have been prepared for this concert:

2 FlagParade

3 AnakinsTheme

4 DuelFates

5 AcrossStars

6 GeneralGrievous (the screenshot probably shows the beginning of this piece) 

7 EnterLordVader

... alas

1 hour ago, michael_grig said:

Unfortunately it's not for an LTP, but as part of an upcoming Star Wars concert...

That's all cues that have been digitally prepared for the prequels for this concert:

2 FlagParade

3 AnakinsTheme

4 DuelFates

5 AcrossStars

7 EnterLordVader

... alas

Thanks for responding - that's a shame, but I knew this was a possibility. Riding the Lizard does begin the OST track 'General Grievous, so you're definitely right. It's a strange choice, you'd think. I don't think either of those two are the most popular cues from the OST. Perhaps Williams is fond of them, or something like that. 

34 minutes ago, Pat_S said:

Thanks for responding - that's a shame, but I knew this was a possibility. Riding the Lizard does begin the OST track 'General Grievous, so you're definitely right. It's a strange choice, you'd think. I don't think either of those two are the most popular cues from the OST. Perhaps Williams is fond of them, or something like that. 

It is indeed strange, if I had to choose 2 pieces from ROTS for a concert like this, I would choose Anakin's Dark Deeds (especially if they have a choir there already for DotF!) and Immolation Scene, they somehow represent the movie better.

4 hours ago, michael_grig said:

This are the cues from the prequels that have been digitally prepared for this concert:

2 FlagParade

3 AnakinsTheme

4 DuelFates

5 AcrossStars

7 EnterLordVader

... alas

I assume it’s the BSO star wars concert?

2 hours ago, michael_grig said:

(especially if they have a choir there already for DotF!)

Is it confirmed that they even have a chior? If they’re just doing DOTF wouldn’t it be more likely that it’s without a chior?

And yes Immolation Scene is such a better choice than both of them

On 20/08/2023 at 4:44 AM, michael_grig said:

This are the cues from the prequels that have been digitally prepared for this concert:

2 FlagParade

3 AnakinsTheme

4 DuelFates

5 AcrossStars

7 EnterLordVader

... alas

Do you know the rest of the set list?

Does this new concert have any dates beyond the three Massachusetts ones?

Sunday August 27th @ Tanglewood https://www.bso.org/events/boston-pops-star-wars-music

Saturday September 23rd & Sunday September 2tth @ Symphony Hall https://www.bso.org/events/star-wars-the-story-in-music

On 20/08/2023 at 2:44 PM, DangerMotif said:

Is it confirmed that they even have a chior? If they’re just doing DOTF wouldn’t it be more likely that it’s without a chior?

Okay, apparently they have no chorus, so the beginning choral part of DOTF will be played by the brass as noted in the sheet music from the TPM suite.

52 minutes ago, michael_grig said:

Okay, apparently they have no chorus, so the beginning choral part of DOTF will be played by the brass as noted in the sheet music from the TPM suite.

A bummer but it’ll still be great to hear it

https://youtu.be/byNdP1SMjvk

Any idea what’ll be played for the OG trilogy?

I assume the first piece will be the crawl from ANH or TPM and end with the TROS end titles or throne room

The Boston Pops will perform the Star Wars: The Story in Music concert on October 8 in Tokyo. The set list can be found here: https://bpo-japan.srptokyo.com

Click on “Schedule & Ticket,” scroll down to October 8 and click on what I’ve highlighted in green to reveal the set list. 

Looks to be a fun concert! Already have my ticket 👍

IMG_6107.jpeg

Huh, intersting stuff at that link:

Comment

I would like to extend my joy and greetings to all of you who will be attending the Boston Pops Concert in Japan this October.
I am very honored to have Boston Pops play many of my songs on this tour.
We hope that all visitors will have the best musical experience through this show.

John Williams (March 2023)

And the set list:

Star Wars: The Story in Music

1. Star Wars Main Title
        Episode I: The Phantom Menace
  2. The Flag Parade
  3. Anakin's Theme
  4. Duel of the Fates
        Episode II: Attack of the Clones
  5. Across the Stars
        Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
  6. General Grievous
  7. Enter Lord Vader
        Episode IV: A New Hope
  8. Princess Leia's Theme
  9. Binary Sunset
  10. Cantina Band
        Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
  11. The Asteroid Field
  12. Yoda's Theme
  13. The Imperial March

INTERMISSION 20 MIN

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
  14. Jabba the Hutt
  15. Luke & Leia
  16. Parade of the Ewoks
  17. The Forest Battle
        Episode VII: The Force Awakens
  18. March of the Resistance
  19. Rey's Theme
  20. Scherzo for X-Wings
  21. The Jedi Steps
    Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
  22. Chrome Dome
  23. The Rebellion is Reborn
        Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
  24. The Speeder Chase
  25. Farewell
  26. The Rise of Skywalker

• Episode I: The Phantom Menace惑星タトゥイーン到着~フラッグ・パレードThe Flag ParadeアナキンのテーマAnakin’s Theme運命の闘いDuel of the Fates
  • エピソード II: クローンの攻撃Episode II: Attack of the Clonesアクロス・ザ・スターズ(「クローンの攻撃」愛のテーマ)Across the Stars
  • エピソード III: シスの復讐Episode III: Revenge of the Sithグリーバス将軍General Grievousベイダー卿、登場Enter Lord Vader
  • エピソード IV: 新たなる希望Episode IV: A New Hope王女レイアのテーマPrincess Leia’s Themeバイナリー サンセットBinary Sunset酒場のバンドCantina Bande
  • エピソード V: 帝国の逆襲Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back小惑星の原野The Asteroid FieldヨーダのテーマYoda’s Themeダース・ベイダーのマーチThe Imperial March
  • INTERMISSION 20 MIN / 休憩 20分
  • エピソード VI: ジェダイの帰還Episode VI: Return of the Jediジャバ・ザ・ハットJabba the HuttルークとレイアLuke & Leiaイウォーク族のパレードParade of the Ewoks森林での戦いThe Forest Battle
  • エピソード VII: フォースの覚醒Episode VII: The Force AwakensレジスタンスのマーチMarch of the ResistanceレイのテーマRey’s ThemeXウイングのためのスケルツォScherzo for X-Wingsジェダイへの階段 ~フィナーレ~The Jedi Steps
  • エピソード VIII: 最後のジェダイEpisode VIII: The Last Jedi金属頭Chrome Dome極秘作戦The Rebellion is Reborn
  • エピソード IX: スカイウォーカーの夜明けEpisode IX: The Rise of Skywalkerスピーダー・チェイスThe Speeder Chaseスカイウォーカーの夜明けFarewell The Rise of Skywalker

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh, intersting stuff at that link:

Comment

I would like to extend my joy and greetings to all of you who will be attending the Boston Pops Concert in Japan this October.
I am very honored to have Boston Pops play many of my songs on this tour.
We hope that all visitors will have the best musical experience through this show.

John Williams (March 2023)

And the set list:

Star Wars: The Story in Music

1. Star Wars Main Title
        Episode I: The Phantom Menace
  2. The Flag Parade
  3. Anakin's Theme
  4. Duel of the Fates
        Episode II: Attack of the Clones
  5. Across the Stars
        Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
  6. General Grievous
  7. Enter Lord Vader
        Episode IV: A New Hope
  8. Princess Leia's Theme
  9. Binary Sunset
  10. Cantina Band
        Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
  11. The Asteroid Field
  12. Yoda's Theme
  13. The Imperial March

INTERMISSION 20 MIN

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
  14. Jabba the Hutt
  15. Luke & Leia
  16. Parade of the Ewoks
  17. The Forest Battle
        Episode VII: The Force Awakens
  18. March of the Resistance
  19. Rey's Theme
  20. Scherzo for X-Wings
  21. The Jedi Steps
    Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
  22. Chrome Dome
  23. The Rebellion is Reborn
        Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
  24. The Speeder Chase
  25. Farewell
  26. The Rise of Skywalker

1hr 30minutes per my estimate 

great lineup

Excellent lineup.  I am surprised BotH is present, but Enter Lord Vader is an inspired alternative. We'll see if the revised Anakin's theme makes another appearance (or if he tinkered with some of the other pieces too, like Chrome Dome).  

This is an exciting concert! 

Even for me, who has heard a lot of these pieces many times, there's AT LEAST NINE pieces I've never experienced live:
    General Grievous
    Enter Lord Vader
    Cantina Band
    Binary Sunset

Jabba the Hutt
    Chrome Dome
    The Speeder Chase
    Farewell
    The Rise of Skywalker

Not to mention these six that I genuinely can't recall if I've heard live before or not, but don't *think* that I have
    The Flag Parade
    Across the Stars
    Cantina Band
    Jabba the Hutt
    Parade of the Ewoks
    The Forest Battle

That's 14 out of 26 new or potentially new to me, a huge amount for a Williams-based concert.

I'm going on Sunday, no question!  I'll try to deliver a full report!

Stunning set! And I can’t watch the video right now, but did JW seriously say “songs”? There will never be a better trolling of JWFan. 

Haha - I should have been clear that my post contained a google translate of that part.  Here's the original Japanese if any member wants to do their own translation:

今年10月に日本で開催されるボストン・ポップス・コンサートにお越しいただく皆様に喜びとご挨拶を申し上げます。
このツアーでボストン・ポップスが多くの私の曲を演奏することを、とても光栄に思っています。
ご来場した皆様がこのショーを通して最高の音楽体験を得られるよう願っています。

ジョン・ウィリアムズ(2023年3月)

A small breakdown of the changes that were necessary, probably to tighten up the dramaturgy a bit:

Main Title – HL SE (till bar 73)

Flag Parade – HL SE (bar 9-56 cut, bar 95-104 cut, bar 132-139cut)

Anakin’s Theme – JKMS Typeset (w/ JW fixes 07/25/23)

Duel Of The Fates – HL SE (bar 21-85cut, bar 104-137 cut)

Across The Stars – HL SE

General Grievous (BPO Edited Version – July 2023)

Enter Lord Vader (BPO Edited Version – July 2023)

Leia’s Theme – HL SE

Binary Sunset (BPO Edited Version – July 2023)

Cantina Band (Sid Ramin Boston Pops Arrangement) - HL

Asteroid Field – HL SE (bar 69-136 cut)

Yoda’s Theme – HL SE

Imperial March – HL SE

Jabba The Hutt – Short version for SW: The Story in Music [23bars]

Luke & Leia – SW Musical Journey 2009

Parade of the Ewoks – HL SE

Forest Battle – HL SE (bar 3-14cut, bar 137-153 cut)

March of the Resistance – HL SE

Rey's Theme – HL SE

Scherzo for X-Wings – HL SE

The Jedi Steps – HL SE

Chrome Dome (BPO Edited Version – July 2023)

Rebellion – HL SE (bar56-99 cut)

Speeder Chase – [unreleased] HL SE (bar 62-114 cut)

Rey and Ben – [unreleased] HL SE (unitll bar 15)

The Rise of Skywalker – [unreleased] HL SE (only until bar 104 –

attaca to “Throne Room & End Title” – HL SE (from bar 107 to end))

1 hour ago, DangerMotif said:

Chrome Dome would probably have been one of the Mark Graham pieces right?

?

7 minutes ago, michael_grig said:

Most interestingly, there seems to be a revision of Anakin's theme by John Williams, probably just minor corrections though, I will try to analyze the sheet music and look for changes....

No, there are some very noticeable revisions.  If the Film Night concert is still streaming, you can hear it there. 

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

No, there are some very noticeable revisions.  If the Film Night concert is still streaming, you can hear it there. 

So this version already premiered? That's good to know!

Yeah it's still up: https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2023-06-08/john-williams-film-night

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Don't know Japanese but in the video Williams say the exact same thing apart from the s... word for which he prefered "music" ;)

Ah, that makes sense! I haven't heard the video yet.

52 minutes ago, michael_grig said:

A small breakdown of the changes that were necessary, probably to tighten up the dramaturgy a bit:

Wow, what a scoop!

So there's SIX new 2023 arrangements!

Anakin's theme (already debuted at Tanglewood)
General Grievous
Enter Lord Vader
Binary Sunset
Jabba The Hutt
Chrome Dome

And new, shorter edits of:

Flag Parade
Duel of the Fates
Asteroid Field
Forest Battle
Rebellion Is Reborn
The Speeder Chase

Not to mention the fact that Speeder Chase, Rey & Ben, and Rise of Skywalker have barely been performed live at all to this point.

What a cool concert!  I'm going on Sunday!

I also think that if you're going to make a programme that tells the whole story of Star Wars as covered by John Williams, you should probably throw Obi Wan, Adventures of Han and Galaxy's Edge somewhere in there.

Then again, I feel like the Siegfried Idyll should be programmed with The Ring in performances....

13 minutes ago, michael_grig said:

I'm sad that they didn't include the Adagio from The Force Awakens instead of one of the other TFA pieces.... it really deserves more performances

Yes, that would be a nice addition!  I'd put that in the main program, and move Scherzo for X-Wings to the encores.

Speaking of Encores.... what will they be?

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I also think that if you're going to make a programme that tells the whole story of Star Wars as covered by John Williams, you should probably throw Obi Wan, Adventures of Han and Galaxy's Edge somewhere in there.

Well maybe those are the encores!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Well maybe those are the encores!

The logic would be to have those in their "place" in the narrative. So, Adventures of Han and Obi Wan between the Episode III and Star Wars compositions, and I believe the Galaxy's Edge piece was concieved of as part of the sequel time and soundscape.